Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You Ready? 11am - 12 pm (EST)

cmartenson
By cmartenson on Fri, Nov 28, 2008 - 2:16pm

I will be presenting a webinar that will be hosted by the Bullion Management Group, Inc. of Toronto Canada on December 10th, from 11am to 12 pm.

By following this next link you can pre-register for the webinar andobtain instructions for listening and submitting questions. 

Link: www.bmginc.ca/webinar3

Please join us as I try out the webinar technology to see if it's something we should be doing here....


 

60 Minute Live Webinar, Includes Interactive Q&A

Speaker Chris Martenson, With introduction by Paul Desousa, Bullion Management Group Inc.

During this live interactive webinar you will learn:

• Money – What’s the root cause of our systemic monetary ailments?
• Inflation vs. Deflation – which will it be?
• Peak Resources – Hype or the greatest investment opportunity of a lifetime?
• The challenges that will shape the next 10 years of investing
• And more

Sponsored by Bullion Management Group Inc.

Link: www.bmginc.ca/webinar3

December 10, 2008– 11:00am ET
A Different Economic Future, Are You Ready? – Free Webinar
Start: 12/10/2008 11:00 am
End: 12/10/2008 12:00pm
Time Zone: EST

11 Comments

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 7 2008
Posts: 488
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...

"Peak Resources – Hype or the greatest investment opportunity of a lifetime?"

I always find questions like this utterly depressing. Along as our primary concern is making money we are doomed to failure through the mis-prioritization of our actions. Capitalism is first and foremost amoral. And there's a very fine line between amoral and immoral. Witness our present dilemma.

When I see a phrase like "investment opportunity of a lifetime," I picture a bunch of fat cats sitting around who more or less know nothing about energy and could care less about, say, the ramifications of peak oil chomping at the bit to make even more money even though they don't need to make another dime to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. Not the setting most conducive to attempt to solve/mitigate our pending and highly nuanced crises.

I know Chris M. has an appreciation for the theoretical difference between a problem, which may have a distinct and possibly unique solution (completely eradicates problem), and a predicament, which can actually only be tempered, softened, or mitigated.

I'll say again, enticing people with the prospect of making a lot of money hardly seems like the right path to go down to deal with our current situation.


 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 10 2008
Posts: 3998
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...

Couldn't agree more mainecooncat.....  This forum is quite different to those I usually frequent, hence the exasperation I often express in posts at times...  the frustration of people not 'getting it'.

I suppose it should be expected that a site about economics will harvest people whose main concern is retaining their wealth, often at any cost.  I find all the discussions about gold and stocks soooo painful, when in fact people here should be worried about how they'll put food on the table in the future.

Maybe we are just doomed and I should just get used to the idea..... 

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 12 2008
Posts: 963
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...

I am hesitant to give out my name/email to one more group trying to tell me I need to invest with them so I may not register.

May be necessary for Chris' survival but not sure this is a good way to go here.

 

SG

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 2 2008
Posts: 624
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...

I may see what they have to say about the gold market but he's going to be severly biased since he's trying to sell it, right?

I'd rather do the webinar with someone who is not trying to sell me something...

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 12 2008
Posts: 219
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...

Guys,

I don't disagree with the skepticism of your (first four) posts.  However people are at different stages in their thought process and need time and exposure to come to a fuller understanding of the issues that we face.  Reaching people through the investment world is one way of bringing awareness of Chris' message and new subscribers to support the site.

I think that this could be an excellent experiment for Chris to see how useful this could be on his own site. 

Unfortunately I think that society has taken the easy route to investing and the investment community has profited from our lack of active involvement over our own resources.  Here's what I mean... we need to be more entrepreneurial in creating our own wealth (such as retirees owning farmland and arranging for farmers to sustainably farm the land, or to own biodiesel plants) and we need to be better at living sustainably (by cutting expenses through energy efficiency and renewables).

We can sit with a pile of gold in a vault and stare at it - but it doesn't actually do anything.  It provides an illusion of wealth whose value only comes from the confidence that we ascribe to it.  Don't get me wrong - I have more faith in gold than the US dollar - but to me a true store of wealth is something that can do something for you...  like cover your expenses, put a roof over your head, create energy without externalities.

We've also taken the virtue out of work - perhaps because we do work for money - not for the joy of doing what we love.  Children love to do work - at least until they learn from us that work is a bad thing.

And another virtue of work are the healthful benefits of being active and giving service to others.

Let's bring humanity to a higher level - from whatever our starting point.

All the best,

James

 

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 7 2008
Posts: 488
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...
James705ca wrote:

but to me a true store of wealth is something that can do something for you...  like cover your expenses, put a roof over your head, create energy without externalities.

This is an incredibly important point you make. We have to start engaging in an economy built upon things that contain inherent value and not just things that are temporarily valuable, like a pallet of widgets that can be instantly liquidated for a quick profit.

As far as different people being at different stages, I don't necessarily agree with regard to this thread. I think the stages of awareness apply to earth-shattering events to a person's psyche, such as death of an intimate loved one, the diagnosis of a chronic illness, radical shifts/breakdowns in our society, etc. However, I don't think the ideas that I articulated above or you did in your post are ones that are radical or outside-the-box enough that intelligent, emotionally developed people need months or years to understand them.

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 12 2008
Posts: 219
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...
mainecooncat wrote:
James705ca wrote:

but to me a true store of wealth is something that can do something for you...  like cover your expenses, put a roof over your head, create energy without externalities.

This is an incredibly important point you make. We have to start engaging in an economy built upon things that contain inherent value and not just things that are temporarily valuable, like a pallet of widgets that can be instantly liquidated for a quick profit.

Thanks mainecooncat,

I like your terms inherent value and temporarily valuable.  This suggested to me to consider that even within items of inherent value there is a broad range in the durability of an item.  For instance, today I was researching silvipasture to see if planting trees in pastureland would make economic sense.  (Apparently it provides a windbreak and shade for livestock that the animals would find welcome.)  If true, this would mean that such a tree would provide enduring value.  A simpler example would be purchasing old tools that have an extremely long life.  At the other end of the scale would be the cheap electronic gadgets with Phillips screws of poor quality steel that barely allow the batteries to be changed once before the screw is stripped and the entire item becomes landfill.

Interestingly, providing a product with a long life cycle does not get repeat customers.  However, such an item should be worth a premium because it has so much future value - and it should attract good word of mouth which can generate new sales.  This is the model of a sustainable future which gives us more time with family and friends and doing activities we find productive - rather than being blinded by the flash of new products being marketed under the illusion that the item will give us the time with family and friends that we find so elusive.

mainecooncat wrote:

As far as different people being at different stages, I don't necessarily agree with regard to this thread. I think the stages of awareness apply to earth-shattering events to a person's psyche, such as death of an intimate loved one, the diagnosis of a chronic illness, radical shifts/breakdowns in our society, etc. However, I don't think the ideas that I articulated above or you did in your post are ones that are radical or outside-the-box enough that intelligent, emotionally developed people need months or years to understand them.

Thanks for commenting on what I had written.  I didn't mean to refer to the emotional stages of awareness in this post.  I was referring to the fact that it takes time for people to make connections to ideas and come to appreciate them in the fullness of time.  These connections may seem obvious once we've changed our thought process but these connections are something that take time for us to establish, if we are receptive to the message, and we can't make these connections for other people.  However, a brilliant teacher, as Chris is, can facilitate the transmission of ideas, promote the acceptance of the ideas, and reduce the time period to understanding. 

Let me use my awareness of Chris' message as an example.  I was unaware of the problems with the money supply until I found Chris' site.  I might have achieved some of the awareness of the issue if I had encountered some of the books that Chris has in his Essential Books section.  But I never did.  My awareness of this issue, and integrating the other issues, only began when I became aware of the website, when I understood the material, and that I was receptive to his message.

My immediate thought was to consider moving to a sustainable lifestyle.  A little research in this area lead me to Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben - a book that has been highly influential on my current thinking.  However I had started reading this book a year earlier, wasn't receptive to his message at the time, and the book sat on my bookshelf.  Only with the awareness sparked by Chris did I make the connection that I needed to read this book and how perfectly for me that it would embrass the Tier 3 steps within the Framework for Action.

I tend to sprinkle my posts with the books that I have read...like a trail of bread crumbs... hoping that others might read these and come to appreciate the Tier 3 actions steps that I see necessary.

All the best,

James

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 2 2008
Posts: 624
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...
James705ca wrote:

Guys,

I don't disagree with the skepticism of your (first four) posts.  However people are at different stages in their thought process and need time and exposure to come to a fuller understanding of the issues that we face.  Reaching people through the investment world is one way of bringing awareness of Chris' message and new subscribers to support the site.

I think that this could be an excellent experiment for Chris to see how useful this could be on his own site. 

Unfortunately I think that society has taken the easy route to investing and the investment community has profited from our lack of active involvement over our own resources.  Here's what I mean... we need to be more entrepreneurial in creating our own wealth (such as retirees owning farmland and arranging for farmers to sustainably farm the land, or to own biodiesel plants) and we need to be better at living sustainably (by cutting expenses through energy efficiency and renewables).

We can sit with a pile of gold in a vault and stare at it - but it doesn't actually do anything.  It provides an illusion of wealth whose value only comes from the confidence that we ascribe to it.  Don't get me wrong - I have more faith in gold than the US dollar - but to me a true store of wealth is something that can do something for you...  like cover your expenses, put a roof over your head, create energy without externalities.

We've also taken the virtue out of work - perhaps because we do work for money - not for the joy of doing what we love.  Children love to do work - at least until they learn from us that work is a bad thing.

And another virtue of work are the healthful benefits of being active and giving service to others.

Let's bring humanity to a higher level - from whatever our starting point.

All the best,

James

 

I agree!  But I also know that reality is a change and change may take time.  Even if I want "this(above)" now, doesn't mean I'm willing to fight for it to happen overnight.  I think a healthy progression into this type of lifestyle is good.  I also don't think anything is bad; e.g., technology... I just think their are people who have bad intentions with the technology they acquire/make.  There are so many good things that people unhesitatingly deem as negative.  I just hope we don't progress into a society of absolutes.  I think one reason why education is so important is to elevate one's mind where they are not restricted into thinking in absolutist ideology.

So James705ca, you seem to know how to get there.  You seem to understand that so much of our psychology is exactly that- psychology; just a mindset we need to overcome.  How does Pavlov get his dogs to stop salivating?  That's how we are going to get everyone to wake up.

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 12 2008
Posts: 273
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...

Well, I'm registered for the Webinar because I'm always interested in what Chris has to say, and I think I can justify giving an hour of my time to listening to him.  Money is not my only priority.  That's why wife and I have no debt, a modest but comfortable home, are promoting a community garden for ourselves and our neighbors and have 20% of our investments in gold and silver - the rest in cash for right now.  So, we didn't get clobbered in the markets, as badly as some folks who didn't wake up to our present problems a year ago as we did.  But we don't necessarily think we're doing everything right. That's why I continue to read, read, read.....and will listen to Chris' Webinar.  I'm also sending the new CDs to all my friends, and my kids.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Nov 12 2008
Posts: 481
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...
caroline_culbert wrote:

I may see what they have to say about the gold market but he's going to be severly biased since he's trying to sell it, right?

I'd rather do the webinar with someone who is not trying to sell me something...

I could be wrong but it seems to me that the webinar is CMs logical progression from his Part II report. He gives us his take on the current economic issues, recommends gold as an alternative to stocks as regards investment strategy and then ties in a webinar to provide those interested with an option to purchase.

I agree with the top four posts as regards what ultimately underlies all issues we face in terms of importance. The economy seems to get the attention while basic survival strategies less so. So I worked on my permaculture garden today and really enjoyed it. Somehow that seems way more important than gold coins!

By the way, thanks for a great laugh the other day.  I was in stiches reading your rant. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. I couldn't agree more as regards proselytizing.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Nov 12 2008
Posts: 481
Re: Free Webinar - A Different Economic Future, Are You ...
Damnthematrix wrote:

Couldn't agree more mainecooncat.....  This forum is quite different to those I usually frequent, hence the exasperation I often express in posts at times...  the frustration of people not 'getting it'.

I suppose it should be expected that a site about economics will harvest people whose main concern is retaining their wealth, often at any cost.  I find all the discussions about gold and stocks soooo painful, when in fact people here should be worried about how they'll put food on the table in the future.

Maybe we are just doomed and I should just get used to the idea..... 

Matrix,

Fundamentally it seems to me that this planet will not be able to provide a sustainable way of life for the current level of population. This transition will likely happen over an extended period with several key events shaping our lives and our kids lives as we go. But don't you think that this transition also has to include a change in values which will only occur over time as well?  We've been on such a  "WHERE'S MY MONEY"  mode in the states for so long it will be a real get-over to switch to a low impact life style for many overnight.

My wife has a lot of family in your area. Aunts, Uncles and Cousins in Toowoomba and the Gold Coast. We were planning a visit next year but are rethinking in light of the world scene. If we do decide to travel it would be a treat to see some of your sustainable living solutions. Her family has been involved in farming for the last century albeit conventional farming.  They are retired from it now.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments