You can buy Goji berry plants at Home Depot.

Poet
By Poet on Tue, Jul 12, 2016 - 7:25pm

HI all.

Just wanted to remind everyone that you can buy goji berry plants at Home Depot and they'll ship to you.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sweet-Berry-Selections-Goji-Berry-Fruit-Bearing-Potted-Shrub-GOBAQT/203642935

These are high in Vitamin C, antioxidants, etc. Can be eaten fresh, or dried to add into soups or in an herbal tea. Better than the imported varieties from China, since you control the soil and other inputs.
https://draxe.com/goji-berry-benefits/

The taste is only a little sweet (can even be a little bitter) nor is it easily recognizable, so it may be overlooked by thieves.

Grows in Zones 5 - 9. (Personal anecdote: My mother has several bushes in her back yard in Zone 10b.)

Self-pollinating (you only need one plant). Propagates via cuttings easily.

Poet

6 Comments

Bytesmiths's picture
Bytesmiths
Soapy!

How do you get rid of the soapy taste of fresh gojis?

We've been growing them for some time, and have difficulty making them palatable.

Poet's picture
Poet
I'll admit, the taste sucks.

I'll admit, the taste sucks. That may deter thieves.

A few people dry or dehydrate them - tastes a little better that way. Others put it in herbal soups or herbal teas. You may want to mix into a berry smoothie.

I would grow some and freeze or dry them, just so in case of transportation breakdown/collapse, you have a good source of vitamin C, B vitamins, etc.

Poet

HughK's picture
HughK
Slugs like the taste of goji leaves
Poet wrote:

I'll admit, the taste sucks. That may deter thieves.

During our wet spring, slugs devoured the leaves on our little goji berry starter bushes.  I was out of town when it happened.  They hit the comfrey starts too, but those survived. :)

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
We may plant one

But we are considering other sources of vitamin C, etc. 

Has anyone here grown Sea Buckthorn? 

Bytesmiths's picture
Bytesmiths
Wendy S. Delmater wrote:Has
Wendy S. Delmater wrote:

Has anyone here grown Sea Buckthorn?

In its fifth year, and hasn't borne yet!

But I'm quite taken with our Eleagnus umbulata (Wolfberry, Japanese Silverberry). It bore the third year, and we got a kilogram of fruit this year, which we mixed with wild cherry to make preserves.

The plan is to line the sides of our 148' greenhouse with them. The grass is sucking too many nutrients away; you can see the in-ground plantings in the greenhouse get lower toward the sides. So a nitrogen-fixing fruit tree seems like the thing to do!

debu's picture
debu
Of Sea Buckthorn and Goji Berries

Planted two sea buckthorn bushes in May. They are about 4' and thriving but no berries this year.

Also planted a goji berry bush at the same time and had loads of berries which I thought were rather tasty. Had read that the bush should grow into a 6' conical shape but so far it is just branches flopping every which way.

Have found it best to pick the berries as soon as they turn orange/red because otherwise they turn red/black and/or the birds tuck in.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments