Meet FarmBot, an open-source CNC farming machine

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Sat, Jun 11, 2016 - 8:46pm

FarmBot is an open-source CNC farming machine. "Designed with the Maker community in mind, FarmBot is driven by an Arduino Mega 2560, a RAMPS 1.4 shield, NEMA 17 stepper motors, and a Raspberry Pi 3. What’s more, all of its plastic components can easily be 3D printed, while its flat connecting plates can be made with either a waterjet, plasma or laser cutter, a CNC mill, or even a hacksaw and drill press."

I have to say this is technically above me, but not above my husband's skills. Probably useless after an EMP but possibly useful for those with no time to garden. Certainly, combined with things like hydroponics this might be useful in urban gardening,. Thoughts? Is this a curiosity, or will it maybe morph into something useful?

6 Comments

newsbuoy's picture
newsbuoy
Makes Sense

Great idea. Makes a whole lot more sense than 3D printing plastic chachkys. Looks like a great idea for my Mom, who for the first time is not planting her garden because its getting too hard for her. I could could monitor it from anywhere and call in a garden tech from the local robo gardening center.

It's right next to my robo accountant and my robo auto shops. Just a half mile from the rail road tracks. You can get anything you want from Alice's roboraunt...

Boomer alert, boomer alert... old hippie relapse in progress.

Edwardelinski's picture
Edwardelinski
A question for the gardeners

I have a place on Cape Cod.Along with a whole new batch of bugs i have never seen before something is going on with my flowering bushes.Only half of the flowers on each side are blooming.Could someone explain why please?Thank you.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Pics, with orientation.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Pics, with orientation.

Edwardelinski's picture
Edwardelinski
bushes

Broken phone Robie.I will post when i can.thank you.

Grover's picture
Grover
Farmbot price

Wendy,

Thanks for the link. After you posted this, I went over to the site and saw that they would be ready for ordering in July. I went back over to the site today to see what this contraption would cost. They currently have a 25% discount for pre-orders, bringing the cost down to about $2900. The cost should come down once production volumes increase. They say it can be built to accommodate larger or smaller gardens. Although I think it is an interesting idea, it is still quite a bit too expensive for my tastes. Still, it sure would be a wonderful toy to play with!

If I wanted to get younger people interested in food production, this would be the ticket. Kids are already enamored with anything that is robotic oriented. Once they mastered the controls, they could learn to give the plants a good growing environment. That's really all that gardening is about.

Thanks again and keep finding these fascinating gems.

Grover

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments