Okay, I'm back

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Wed, Apr 27, 2016 - 9:17am

FYI our Great Kitchen Rehabilitation of 2016 is pretty much over. The unsustainable things are fixed.

We got rid of the particle board sub-flooring, which would not survive in a world without air conditioning, and replaced it with marine plywood and ceramic tile. Broken drawers and cabinets are repaired, and everything was sanded down and repainted in a light color that spreads natural light. Space was made for canning things where none was before. The screen door was fixed and the window is about to be replaced for better ventilation. Kitchen linens are now all bleachable cotton.

We did most of the work ourselves so I have not been posting, but I'm back! :-)

Here is the before:

and after:

3 Comments

jtwalsh's picture
jtwalsh
Good Work

Wendy:  Looks great.  We are in the process of redoing our kitchen which was last updated in the 1950's. It has been great fun (sarcastic) trying to work while continuing to cook and clean for a household of seven.  Thank God my youngest son can hoist cabinets and sheet rock panels 'cause my arthritis laughs out loud at me now when I try such stunts.  We are still jointing, patching and putting a seal coat of paint on our efforts.  If it comes out half as good as your work I will post pictures.

JT

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
But the garden has suffered

Thank gawd for perennials. The garden is nothing but perennials this year, and some onions, cabbages and potatoes.  Luckily we have a lot of perennials and things that over-wintered! Sea Kale, grapes, asparagus figs, strawberries, blueberries, leeks, mulberries, blackberries, arugula... we've decided to buy tomato starts and plant leaf lettuces & beans late, and just do the best we can.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Good job, Wendy!

What a nice improvement!

I just started checking back over here for your Ag & Permaculture posts, so glad to see you back.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments