Introduce yourself - thread

mntnhousepermi
By mntnhousepermi on Sun, Feb 28, 2016 - 2:37pm

Hey all, I guess we do not yet have sufficient numbers to be a large group yet ? Maybe we can introduce ourselves and see where we are at and what we all are doing.

I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, I used to live in Willow Glen.  I relocated out of town to get sunny land to garden and for sun for solar about 17 years ago. When we were in town, we already had chickens and a garden in the back yard, a laundry line, washed our own cloth diapers, etc..... I have driven by the old house, and the fruit trees I lined the driveway strip with are still there.

We installed solar PV and solar hot water as soon as we got here, 17 years ago. Grid tied/battery back up, 2kW panels, and this is for an all electric house where we pump our own well water. So, I can speak to the pros and cons of these. At that time, my partner worked from home 2-3 days a week and carpooled with a neighbor sometimes and took the HWY17 express bus out of Scotts Valley the other days. The Battery back up on the PV system was good for when he worked at home to not lose his work.

My perspective now, given what has and hasnt happened in the past 17 years means I would recommend different priorities now, of course.

I have had very good luck with retrofitting our crawlspace to be non-vented, insulated cripple walls, and other things ( modern, efficient woodstove) that have made this house more comfortable and less wood to heat.

I do some gardening and have learned how to dry food and can. This year I added pressure canning. These skill can be learned even in an apartment in the city.

I would like to learn more about how to live in the next energy decent phase, the one where I may not be able to fix a submersible well pump or a solar inverter -- these things cannot be counted on

3 Comments

reflector's picture
reflector
nice to meet you

hi, mntnhousepermi

thanks for your post

as for myself, i have a house near downtown san jose. i planted some fruit trees a few years ago, which has been great, but i haven't done a whole lot in terms of prepping since then - it's a small lot, 5000 sq ft, and i don't intend to stay.

i'll be looking to sell the house soon, am currently fixing up the place to do so.

i'm on the search for an acre+ property, land is expensive and difficult to come by in the bay area.

i'm looking at a few areas where land is cheaper: santa cruz mountains along hwy 17, morgan hill area, sierra foothills towards yosemite, or possibly even north bay petaluma / santa rosa area.

i've won a couple properties on auction last year for cheap, first is a 1 acre wooded lot near hwy 17 & hwy 35 (skyline) - the challenge is it's zoned unbuildable, but i will try to find a use for it anyhow. second lot is a 20-acre agricultural zoned property down in coalinga, nice flat land with good road access, but the challenge is with getting water.

both of the above mentioned lots are sitting unused, if anyone wants to make use of the land in any way, feel free to contact me.

once i find a place, i would like to set up a solar array, plant a garden and lots of fruit trees, possibly raise chickens as well.

Mike Swift's picture
Mike Swift
Silicon Valley people

This is my first post to this site. I to live in the bubble of Silicon Valley. I have a home on 11 acres. Water, and electricity I get from solar, although I am grid tied at this time, I am looking to put in batteries to give myself some independence, and resilience.

It is looking like new battery systems make going off grid much easier today.

If anyone in this area is looking for solar panels at a good price I just found some available in Campbell.

Cilia2007's picture
Cilia2007
Wondering if the group is still active

I'm a complete newbie to PeakProsperity in terms of ideas and preparadness - today is the first day I'd heard of it. But I grew up on an almond farm in the Central Valley (sadly, I always wanted to get off the farm and move to the city so my knowledge of how to actually grow things is limited!) However, the idea of conservation and being a producer instead of a consumer has always been with me thanks to my dad.

I am definitely struggling with a lot of the ideas even though I've known for a long time just from reading the news and looking at the world that our way of life is unsustainable and must end...but like most people, I thought it would be a problem for our grandchildren. I now doubt that is the case.

I am specifically wondering - what types of disaster preparadness are reasonable for someone with small children in a small condo in the Bay Area (no land)? 

What options for becoming self sufficient do we have?

My husband and I are talking about buying land that should be arable 50-100 years in the future, so that our children and grandchildren will have a legacy from us. We're not sure where this would be though (WY? MT? How would we choose? Should we move there ourselves at some point?)

These are some of the myriad questions in my anxious mind. Thanks to any who read and respond.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments