PM Daily Market Commentary - 12/14/2015

davefairtex
By davefairtex on Tue, Dec 15, 2015 - 12:48am

Gold fell -14.10 to 1059.60 on moderately heavy volume, while silver plunged -0.24 to 13.65 on moderately heavy volume also.  Both gold and silver sold off hard today; it was an ugly day for PM overall.

I just don't have a rationale as to why gold and silver fell today - it wasn't oil, which ended up rallying, nor was it the buck which ended the day relatively neutral.  Commodities did drop, but platinum and palladium were actually up.  Perhaps it was just pre-Fed meeting jitters, or maybe the big money wanted to get the miners to sell off.  Or perhaps it was official intervention.  It wasn't aligned with any of the usual drivers that I could see.

Gold is now through the 9 EMA, and appears to be headed for a re-test of its lows at 1045.40.  My guess is gold will rally after FOMC, just based on the COT report and sentiment, but until the meeting it appears we will be faced with pre-meeting selling at COMEX.  I'm not entirely sure the 1145 low will hold, as we have a lot of trading time between now and then.

Silver was driven to a new multi-year low today; today's rally in oil did manage to cause a momentary rally in silver, but it was promptly sold, with silver closing almost at its low for the day

Miners were crushed today, with GDX dropping -5.70% on heavy volume, while GDXJ fell -3.67% on light volume.  GDX closed at its dead low, which suggests we may have further to fall tomorrow.  GDX also was driven below its 9 EMA, same as gold.  Hopefully buyers show up tomorrow, or we could see new lows for the mining shares.

The USD rose +0.10 to 97.65, climbing back above its 50 MA.  The buck remains in a short term downtrend, but it does appear to have some support at the 50.  I suspect we'll see a big move after FOMC, one way or the other.  It certainly could be "sell the news", especially if the Fed disappoints with the details of its rate rise.

SPX found buyers today, climbing +9.57 to 2021.94 after an early-morning sell-off, eventually printing a hammer candle on the day.  If history is any judge, this will end up being a reversal bar and equities probably rally for the next few days - at least into the FOMC meeting.  VIX dropped -1.66 to 22.73.

JNK continued selling off, falling a big -0.80% and making a new low.  There is serious smoke coming out of the trillion-dollar junk bond market, and a few flames as well.  That's a clear sign of risk off, and it suggests to me that any equity market rally should probably be sold.

Bond ETF TLT fell hard, dropping -1.29% and retracing most of Friday's large move higher.  TLT remains above its 9 EMA, but not by much.

CRB fell -0.34%, making yet another new low.  So far, no relief from the commodity sell-off.

WTIC managed to rally today after making a new low of 34.53, climbing +0.91 to 36.27.  This might mark a temporary low for oil, but we will need to see confirmation tomorrow with a close above 36.70.  Oil's rally definitely helped silver to rally intraday, even though it didn't hold through end of day.  If oil does recover, that should help provide a bid under silver at COMEX.

US Natural gas ($NATGAS) possibly printed a capitulation low today, hitting 1.86 - a price level last seen 13 years ago, in January 2002.  I'm pretty sure nobody makes money with natgas at that price.  Natgas closed down -3.94% to $1.90, but it printed a small hammer candle reversal bar, and it is dreadfully oversold.

My guess is, the selling pressure will abate after FOMC, which starts its meeting tomorrow and will release a statement on Wednesday at 14:00 Eastern.  The big money commercials are set up for a move higher in PM.  Given the importance of the announcement, I think it is likely those commercials already know what the Fed will announce; quite possibly the Fed felt it had to "test-market" its actions to the financial community, as it has done in the past.  That's some nice work if you can get it.

There is a well known strategy where you first hammer an item lower before backing up the truck long, so the other traders are wrong-footed and you end up getting a lower price for your position.  Perhaps that is what is going on now - a hard sell in PM prior to the meeting.  We'll know more Wednesday afternoon.

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Gold & Silver Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of precious metals enthusiasts have focused discussions on the developments most likely to impact gold & silver. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

2 Comments

Penny551's picture
Penny551
my $0.02

Dave,

That's my gut feeling too; that JPM & Co. are trying to get the specs as short as possible prior to a nice PM rally post FOMC.

Now that I said that, and also bought a couple of GLD Calls, the exact opposite will happen..  :)

Steve

KennethPollinger's picture
KennethPollinger
Stockman's PREDICTIONs
December 16, 2015  

BREAKING: Fed Pricks the “Mother of All Financial Bubbles”

Dear Daily Reckoning Reader,

This is why today is Judgement Day. What just happened is going to devastate investors… maybe you.

Just minutes ago, the Federal Reserve announced they're raising interest rates for the first time in one decade.

Now everything I’ve been forecasting is set to unfold…

• Most popular income plays will be crushed…
  • People will lose their jobs as the economy enters recession...
  • The housing market will plunge again as mortgage rates head higher...
  • The stock market will crash…
  • Oil and commodity prices will plummet…
  • An unprecedented deflation will sweep across the global economy…
  • Causing widespread defaults and bankruptcies...

I call this new period “The End of the Bubble Finance Era.” And it calls for a totally new investment strategy than the one that’s worked for the past seven years.

I outlined what that strategy is during a free event I hosted on Monday for select readers.

I also offered them access to my own analysis and specific investment recommendations on a biweekly basis if they wanted.

However, we pulled down access last night.

But given that the Fed has taken action, I feel compelled to make the video available for just 24 hours longer.

>>Click here to listen to the final rebroadcast of my live event<<

To be clear, I cannot make you the same offer that I made listeners that attended the event live on Monday. But you can still learn about my strategy for free.

I’ve had the benefit of personally seeing what's happening to our country… and our markets… by working at the highest levels of the U.S. government AND Wall Street.

Sitting in the Oval Office with Reagan when the era of boom, busts and low interest rates began in the 1980s...

And seeing bubbles form and pop while working on Wall Street for Salomon Bros., and later as a founding partner at the private equity firm Blackstone...

I’ve learned how to help you navigate what’s coming after the Fed starts raising interest rates… and to guide you on what should be doing with your money.

In fact, behind the scenes, I’ve been busy uncovering opportunities to profit. I’m hoping to target gains as much as…

• 300% or more from the coming big correction of the wildly inflated “FANG” stocks…
  • 215-420% as the biotech sector bubble finally pops…
  • 100-490% from one of the most popular stocks of the past three years…
  • And 200% or more from one of the world’s biggest cable companies.

Now, no investment approach works perfectly every time... so you need to proceed with caution. But I’m confident that what I’ll tell you will help you invest better in the months ahead.   

And that’s why it’s so important you watch my training event for investing as the Era of Bubble Finance comes to an end.

>>Click here now and watch before you’re too late<<

As you’ll see when you go to the event page, this is a time when you can make a lot of money... if you know what’s happening.

Regards,

David A. Stockman
Contributor, The Daily Reckoning

Let's now watch and see how well he does????

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments