Food Storage Wisdom from the Southern Agrarian

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Fri, Oct 16, 2015 - 9:40am

"These are some notes compiled by a relative who spent forty days living entirely off of stored food supplies. I have known him for my entire life. He is a physician, and looks at this from a very analytical and physiological standpoint. I found myself modifying our family’s own food storage program after following his experience during those forty days." - The Southern Agrarian

Read the article here.

I echo his conclusion that the best grain to store is rice. See if reading this does not cause you to change your food storage habits.

2 Comments

Swampmama3's picture
Swampmama3
Worth the Read!

Invaluable insights here, and follow the links to even more great info.

fated's picture
fated
Thanks Wendy.

Some good information here and in the links as Swampmama3 says.

Keeping fibre on hand has never crossed my mindblush.

One thing we like to have on hand, and I stock up when it is on sale is coconut milk powder. Instead of keeping cans of coconut milk in the pantry we keep boxes. Lightweight and easier to stack. Each box contains 3 sealed foil pouches of the powder and you just add water as you need.

As someone who's body doesn't like whatever is in Gravox, stock cubes and other flavorings I find our stews are more like asian curries, plus it goes well with things like sago or rice to make a sweet desert, or can be used like milk powder in baking sweet things if you don't mind a coconutty flavour.

Definately a luxuary for now, and when TSHTF I will just be eating good old fashioned herbs and spices from the pantry in everything.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments