Plant your Irish potatoes this fall or winter

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Thu, Oct 1, 2015 - 3:10pm

Plant your Irish potatoes this fall or winter (Source: Backwoods Home Magazine)

This fellow lives in North Carolina, USA, so it might not work in all climates but he is doing something similar to small-scale Hugelkultur for potatoes. Bear in mind that in the Carolinas the frost line is six to eight inches (15 to 20 centimeters) below ground so here the potatoes could each up  to grow leaves after a winter of establishing roots.

Click on the link for more, but the basic idea is to sandwich small seedling potatoes with "eyes" *" deep between two layers of leaf debris: the top one helps insulate the potatoes and the bottom one rots, which produces heat and feeds the potatoes so their roots and grow strong before the first leaf peeks up above the soil in the spring. He says he gets 2-3 crops a year this way, and no problems with crop failures.

2 Comments

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
we've perenial 'taters

we're in zone 7 and when i dig 'em we put about 10percent back in the row, add compost cover and forget about'em. They come on when they do and there are always some to dig.

Luke Moffat's picture
Luke Moffat
Worth a Go

I might give this a go now that my beds are empty. I'm just waiting for some leaf-fall so that i can go round the street collecting mulch material :)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments