Will your canned food storage survive an earthquake?

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Fri, Aug 14, 2015 - 2:48pm

If your canned food is on shelves like this and there's an earthquake you might have a problem.

They say that anything above your head can become a projectile in a quake and the picture above is of the top shelves in a basement pantry that reaches to its ceiling. Do you live in an earthquake zone? If so, for shelving like this a simple railing in front of each shelf would keep things from toppling but not stop them from cracking against each other.

I don't have shelving like this but I found a simple solution.

Keep your canned goods in the boxes the jars came in. Those boxes come with paper inserts to separate the jars, and they come with waterproof shrinkwrapping. There is absolutely no reason to throw out the dividers, the shrinkwrapping, or even the boxes. Just make sure your canning jars are dry and you are good to go. I stack them on the floor, under the bed or about 5-deep under tables with tablecloths that reach to the floor so they are not visible. The quarts go on the bottom, then the pints, then the half-pints. Oldest on top and in front, rotated. A clipboard for inventory goes on top.

2 Comments

mudfish2's picture
mudfish2
My solution for food storage

A year or so ago I happened to be in the right place at the right time and was given (as in free) 16 lateral file units that were surplused by a company that had been recently acquired.  They were placed around the edge of my garage, workshop and office.  I placed gardening supplies, lawn maintenance stuff, tools, etc. into many of the drawers which greatly organized the house.  I had approximately 35 unused drawers out of 74 total which I allocated to food storage.  Since these units are made out of sheet metal with tight joints they are impervious to all manner of varmints and when closed are secure. All drawers are constructed with ball bearings and will easily open with 100 pounds or more in them. These things worked great for me and would recommend using them if you ever come across a deal on some.

Bytesmiths's picture
Bytesmiths
Drying

I do a lot of drying. When they're reduced 20:1 or so, they're much less dangerous when they fall. :-)

I use a rotary meat slicer on tomatoes and cucumbers, then I batter them in nutritional yeast, no-salt vegetable seasoning, garlic powder, and chipotle, before sticking them in the dryer. This makes them a tasty snack to eat from the bag, but they're also good crumbled on soup or salad.

Unlike hand-slicing, the rotary meat slicer makes a very consistent thickness, so they can all come out of the dehydrator at the same time. And it's a lot quicker than hand slicing.

We give out samples at the market, and they sell better than fresh tomatoes!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments