Gold IRA

ltlredwagon
By ltlredwagon on Mon, Jun 15, 2015 - 7:39pm

Charles Hugh Smith in his recent article talks about holding gold or real estate in an IRA or 401k.   As Wikipedia notes: "Legally speaking, precious metals in an IRA are in the custody of the trustee or custodian, not the IRA owner."   Seems to me this could be a problem.   Banks can be trustees, and the IRS also lists 60 or so approved non-bank trustees here:  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/nonbank_trustee_list.pdf

I know there are debates about whether gold confiscation could occur.  That can be argued elsewhere, but I would think gold in an IRA would instantly convert to a small amount of cash should the government decide they want it.  But I don't really know much about holding gold in an IRA.  Is real estate a better option?  Something I'm not understanding?  Thanks.

1 Comment

Boomer41's picture
Boomer41
Not ideal but better than most options

If you have a significant part of your savings in a 401(k) plan, a Gold IRA is an option to convert from mediocre quality 'investment' vehicles to something more tangible. For most people, pulling out savings from their 401(k)  to buy physical gold is a very expensive option because of the taxes involved. Rolling over the 401(k) into a self-managed P.M. IRA at least gets you into precious metals even if the tangibility is one step removed from actually holding it yourself.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments