Here we are

Sterling Cornaby
By Sterling Cornaby on Sat, Jun 13, 2015 - 5:25pm

I just wanted  to say that I am here in UT.  Good to know you all.

33 Comments

gpoulsen's picture
gpoulsen
In Utah Also

I'm here in the Salt Lake area as well, specifically in West Jordan.  Glad you started this group.

Gary

lambertad's picture
lambertad
Millcreek area

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Adam, I moved to Utah about 3 years ago from the east coast. I spent 6 years in the military prior to that. I'm currently in the medical school at the UofU studying to be a physician assistant. 

After spending my first 28 years on the east coast, I'm glad to be in the mountain west. 

I'm not sure if you guys would ever want to get together, but I think we should keep it in mind. I'm sure we all have skills that we could teach each other. Could you guys share a little bit more about yourselves like what you do for work, what unique skills you have, etc. 

Adam

agregg's picture
agregg
Davis County

Hey, everyone!

My name is Adam, as well, and I live in Davis County. I was born and raised in Davis County, but just moved back after a year in Southern California. I have also lived in England, Canada and Norway. I hope to talk with some of you and perhaps even meet in person at some point. 

Cheers!

A

lambertad's picture
lambertad
Thanks for joining

Adam,

Welcome to the group, I for one am glad more people in Utah are finding out about PP. I hope your move from SoCal back to Utah went well for you, it sounds like you already have a social network here since this is where you grew up. Now that spring is on the way, if you or anyone else on the group needs any help doing stuff around the house, in the garden, etc. feel free to reach out here to see if anyone in the group can be of assistance. I have clinic on Saturdays, so that isn't a great day for me, but that is only until the mid-August. Again, hope everyone is doing well and I think a meet up at some point would be great if we can find time. I Look forward to meeting everyone some time.

Adam

agregg's picture
agregg
Looking Forward

Adam,

Thank you! I was pleased, as well, to see that I wasn't the only one from Utah here! I just joined as an enrolled member, but I have been following the free content on PP for some time. The move from SoCal was... interesting. My transmission died once and for all in Nephi. But I am finding that there are several silver linings to being without a car: 1) I am getting a lot more exercise biking and walking to and from work (I also take the Frontrunner), as well as I am developing new skills as a result; 2) My finances have benefited; 3) It gives me an opportunity to connect with people more due to being offered rides. So no complaints here. I plan on making the most of being without a car for at least the next year or two!

My social network here is pretty basic and is mainly just my family, but that is very valuable of course. I am hoping to expand it, though. I am settling into Centerville (my home town) this coming Friday after almost 2 months living with a friend in Layton. I'll be in an apartment since I cannot afford my own land/house by any means (yet), but I am more than happy to help others with any work on their land (or in their house) this coming Spring and Summer (and beyond). It would be a great opportunity to meet as well as develop my own skills. I work for one of the Apple Stores here on the Wasatch Front. Though it is good work in terms of pay and benefits, as well as I get many opportunities to develop universally valuable skills, I nonetheless am quite aware of the discrepancy between many of the skills developed at my work and those that would be needed if industrial civilization starts to wind down (or simply crashes). (And if it doesn't, then I suppose I might be well-positioned...but it seems best to diversify, while improving my quality of life in the meantime.)

In conclusion, to cut things short for now... let's absolutely plan on a meet-up by Memorial Day. Does that sound good?

Best,

Adam

bhami's picture
bhami
Hello

I've been a PP member for several years and just now discovered this local group. My wife and I retired four years ago from IT jobs in the Los Angeles area and moved to SLC. We bought a house in the Fairpark area three years ago and have been heavy into gardening and refurbishing. I've been improving my blue-collar skills. Last year I took welding and woodworking classes at SLCC (highly recommended!).

--Bruce

agregg's picture
agregg
Welcome!

Welcome to the group, Bruce! How do you like SLC? What brought you out here after retiring?

--Adam G

themccarthyfarm's picture
themccarthyfarm
I'm here

I have been following Chris M for since he started but I also just found this group.  I am actually still returning from his Rowe Conference as I write.  I live in Heber City and I'm excited to find some of you out there.  When I get home I will try to reach out and make more contact.

Cheers

Ken

agregg's picture
agregg
Safe Travels

Thanks for reaching out, Ken! I'd be interested to hear about your experience at the Rowe Conference. How was it? Anything you learned that you can share?

Safe travels home!

Best,

Adam

themccarthyfarm
It was a great gathering

Hi Adam,

I Checked for a group here a few years ago and I guess I never checked again.  I am really happy to fine a few others here in Utah.  It doesn't look like there has been much activity.  I would sure like to try to get some kind of group together.

One of the things that came out at the Rowe Conference was how great it was to be with a group of people who are on the same page.  Individually everyone has the feeling they might be crazy so finding a bunch of people who understand what the others are feeling is very refreshing.  Everyone had the feeling that developing some kind of community is one of the greatest things we can be doing.

I am up in Heber but it is only an hour from SLC.  I seems there are only a few in this group but maybe we can do something to be more in contact.  I am really not very good at this social media thing.  I had to learn how to find a group at Rowe.  You can find out more about me at my website.

themccarthyfarm.com

Cheers Ken

themccarthyfarm
It was a great gathering

Hi Adam,

I Checked for a group here a few years ago and I guess I never checked again.  I am really happy to fine a few others here in Utah.  It doesn't look like there has been much activity.  I would sure like to try to get some kind of group together.

One of the things that came out at the Rowe Conference was how great it was to be with a group of people who are on the same page.  Individually everyone has the feeling they might be crazy so finding a bunch of people who understand what the others are feeling is very refreshing.  Everyone had the feeling that developing some kind of community is one of the greatest things we can be doing.

I am up in Heber but it is only an hour from SLC.  I seems there are only a few in this group but maybe we can do something to be more in contact.  I am really not very good at this social media thing.  I had to learn how to find a group at Rowe.  You can find out more about me at my website.

themccarthyfarm.com

Cheers Ken

Sterling Cornaby's picture
Sterling Cornaby
I just checked in again myself

I am in springville UT.  It would be great to meet up.  No ideas yet from me on how and when.  I when to rowe last year.  It was really good to meet with like minded people.  

Here is a short video introduction of the few things I am doing from last year: 

Also, if you are into gardening in Utah, you really should know about Calab Warnock http://www.mcssl.com/store/calebwarnock. He is a great knowledge, seeds and class resorce here in utah.

agregg's picture
agregg
Sorry for the delayed reply

Ken and Sterling - 

Both of you appear to be doing quite well and working in the right direction. Good to see! I am in a much less prosperous situation being a student-debt-saddled 26-year-old, but I am working towards prosperity, as well, having learned the right lessons by this point. I just hope I have enough time! We shall see. At least I do have the advantage of youth. But a lot is uncertain, that much is for certain...

Anyway, now that summer is creeping up, I hope we can meet for a gathering. A BBQ or something? When do you think would be a good time? And anyone willing to volunteer as host? I would if I was in a better situation to. Let me know!

Cheers,

Adam

themccarthyfarm
Lets get together

Hi Adam and Sterling,

Sterling I am jealous of of all your fruit trees.  We have a very hard time growing fruit up here in Heber.

Adam, You are way ahead of most people just because you know what is going on.  That will make a big difference.

I would be very glad to host a gathering here at our place.  It is starting to get nice and green and much warmer now.  We are pretty flexible in regard to time.  Around mid June we become unavailable for at least a few weeks.  Hopefully we could get together before that.  We are usually good for weekends or mid week.  We have a daughter graduation the end of this month and we might have to work around that.  We have plenty of room.

Ken

Sterling Cornaby
This sounds great

I would really like meeting you all; seems like either a Friday or Saturday evening might work.  I have plans the 14 of May (Sat), and the 9th to 12th of June.  Just suggest a evening other then that and I will be there.  

I would most likely be bringing my wife and our one-year old.  I have other kids, which I don't want to bring because I would rather focus on talking to you all instead of chasing them around for this introduction meeting.  

Ken, thanks again for offering to be host.  If you would like us to bring anything as well just let me know!

Sterling 

themccarthyfarm
what evening

Just looking at the calendar and it looks like either the 20th or 21st would work well here.  Hopefully one of those days will work for both Adam and you.  If there is anyone else out there seeing this jump right in and invite yourself.  Lets see if we can get the night set then work on the details.

Ken

agregg's picture
agregg
My calendar

Thanks for volunteering, Ken! I'm really looking forward to this!

My schedule is a bit more erratic, due to working at an Apple retail store (I am one of the ones you'll find at the "Genius Bar", taking technical support appointments), and I normally get worked weekends since these are normally our busiest times. 

Here are the days I have off per my schedule between now and May 27th, and that are not already taken by other plans:

May 17, 19, 23, 24

My schedule for May 28 to June 3 will be posted on Saturday; it might be a bit late to request any further days off for that week (I have already requested one off already, which also makes me hesitant, in addition to the likelihood of increased traffic that weekend due to Memorial Day and thus increased need for help).

But I can request any day off that I want from June 4th onward, as long as we choose a date soon.

If none of the 4 dates above in May that I listed work for everyone, perhaps we should do June 4th? Would June 4th work for everyone? Let me know! Sorry for not being more available! I wish I was...I guess I am still poor in time capital! ;-)

Best,

Adam

Sterling Cornaby
The 4th?

The 4th of June works for me, I would like adam to be there.

themccarthyfarm
June 4th

Yes, June 4th works for us.  Is 5:00 good or is it better earlier or later?  I will figure out what's for dinner and let you know if you should bring anything.  I am at 2671 Southfield Road, Heber City.  Your GPS may take you to the neighbors but you will know our house from the solar panels on the roof.

435-640-1114

Ken

agregg's picture
agregg
June 4th it is

June 4th it is! Thanks, guys! Any time works for me, earlier or later, and I will be in no rush to leave. Looking forward to a good time!

-Adam

801-390-2384

lambertad's picture
lambertad
June 4th in the evening?

Hey guys, sorry to Join this conversation a little bit late, but is there any way we could do June 4th later in the evening? Say like 6ish? I'm in clinic on Saturdays and usually finish seeing patients around 5pm, although sometimes it can run a little later. I'm down in Sandy for clinic but should be able to run home to change into something more comfortable and be up in Heber by 6 or 6:15. I also don't mind showing up a little bit late if you guys want to start earlier, so no worries if you all want to get an earlier start. I'm really excited to meet everyone because for a long time I was discouraged that other people in Utah weren't following PP. 

Sterling, thank you also for making me aware of the conversation. 

Ken, thanks for volunteering your place for a get together. 

Adam, if you need a ride from SLC up to Heber I'm more than happy to give you a ride. 

Adam

814-279-0826

agregg's picture
agregg
Dinner at 6:30?

I am thinking we could first start arriving at 5, for those able to make it earlier and help out. And then we could start dinner around 6:30 to accommodate Adam (and anyone else who may need to arrive later)? Does that sound good to everyone?

Adam, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I need to take you up on it. I actually don't own a functioning car right now, but was planning on renting a car for the day. I am interested in getting up there earlier if possible, and it would probably also be easier on you after finishing up with work (considering I live in Davis County, it will probably be easier on you for the ride home too). I get rental discounts through my job, as well as it's just a one day treat for myself. I'll let you know if anything changes. :)

Best,

Adam G.

gpoulsen's picture
gpoulsen
June 4th

I would also like to come and meet with you all on the 4th of June.  Let me know what I can do to help out.  Thanks Ken for offering your place up there in beautiful Heber valley.  Looking forward to meeting.

Gary

Sterling Cornaby
Glad to see this come together

Just restating for completeness

June 4th it is.  Show up 5 pm or later, Meal at 6:30 pm.  

People coming: Adam, Adam, Gary, Sterling, Sherilee (my wife).  

Ken and family hosting and he will let us know if or what to bring.

This is great, l am sure it will be a pleasure to meet all of you!

Sterling

themccarthyfarm
Adam's schedule works great.

Adam's schedule works great.  Come early and then dinner around 6:30.  

Adam, if you want to come up earlier and play on the farm you are welcome.  I don't know what we will be doing in the morning but we should be around from mid afternoon on.  I could give you some ideas for a hike or something for earlier if you want to get a good value out of your car rental.  Email or phone might be a better way to communicate.  [email protected]  435-640-1114

We will plan to have home grown chili for dinner.  That way we can handle any number of people and it is easy to have it ready to eat at any time.  I will supply the chili and you all can bring anything that goes along with that kind of food, chips, sour cream, salsa, salad, etc.  We don't do gluten around here but you are welcome to bring bread if you like.  Bring the beverage of you choice.  If it is nice we can eat outside and sit around the campfire.  But we have enough room indoors if it is too wet out.  Bring a jacket.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Ken

agregg's picture
agregg
Looking Forward to It

Thanks, Ken! I may just do that. Do you prefer texting, calling or emailing? I will probably reach out to you soon before the 4th to figure out my plans for earlier in the day.

See you all soon...

Adam G.

themccarthyfarm
dumb phone

I may be a bit dumber than my phone when it comes to texting, email or calling is better for me.

agregg's picture
agregg
Sounds good

Sounds good. I'll email or call ahead of time. :)

gpoulsen's picture
gpoulsen
June 4th

Was looking forward to meeting all you Wasatch group members but a camp with my son's family at Calf Creek Falls is also on June 4th so I will not be able to attend the get togeter.

Gary

agregg's picture
agregg
Hopefully Next Time

Understandable, Gary! Hopefully you can come to the next one! Have a good time at Calf Creek Falls! :-)

Sterling Cornaby
Bring anything?

I am still planing to be there Saturday.  Should I bring anything? 

themccarthyfarm
Saturday Evening

I am still planning to have everyone come around 5:00 with dinner being around 6:00.  I am planning to make lamb/pork chili.  Chips and salsa, corn bread, salad, fruit salad, deserts are all things that would be good to bring.  I'm pretty sure we won't go hungry what ever you bring.  We are mostly gluten free here but that doesn't mean you have to be.  If you want something special to drink you should bring that.  

Our address:

2671 Southfield Rd

Heber City  GPS's often take people to our neighbors house.  Look for the solar panels on the roof and you will get the right house.  

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Ken

435-640-1114

agregg's picture
agregg
Awesome

Thanks, Ken! See you shortly! :-)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments