a call to relocate to Europe

SocratesR
By SocratesR on Sun, Apr 19, 2015 - 3:41am

my argument is simple: mankind did not pop into existence a few thousand years ago. So what are you prepping for? A limited cataclysm did not wipe the Earth clean of people 13,000 years ago. It was much more serious than that. Our ancestors were neither suicidal, retarded, nor ignorant. And yet they were thrown into a new stone age (after building things like Puma Punku which we couldn't build today if we chose to).

After 6 years of looking for like-minded folk online, i've yet to find a single person willing to step far enough out of their comfort zone to accept the simple logic stated above. Good intentions will not offer survival. Good intentions and hard work give peace of mind and you may die peacefully, but survival is about more than a gung ho attitude and positive thinking. Survival is about a clear choice for success no matter what.

I am heading for Spain or Morocco in June of 2015, for a good cave in which to prepare. I can live there because i've been preparing for years and i understand things about growing food that permaculture wizards teach that would make mainstreamers' heads spin. I understand things about nutrition that are likewise offense to 99% of the poplation [read Born to Run].
Survival is about serious consideration and real knowledge, not about money or experience.

Join me in being serious. If you're serious, i will appreciate your participation. It's really all that matters. Anything more than that's just gravy.

Socrates
www.teomcrote.co.nf

5 Comments

RRKauffman's picture
RRKauffman
Is this group active?

I am looking to connect with other like minded persons as the anticipated crisis approaches.  I have given up on trying to engage those closest to me (family/friends) and wish to share what I  have created with others already in the mindset and experience with preparedness.  I have a 22 acre farm in Pacific NW fully paid for and developed using principles of nature and permaculture. The farm is very productive with great infrastructure, a flock of sheep, alpaca, chickens, ducks, geese, pigs, orchards, gardens, composting, grey water, river, creek, woods, etc. etc. I am tired, both physically and mentally from going it alone.  I have built many extra living spaces and a thriving food business, and am looking to get the right people here and involved before the worst of the crisis hits.  I have been burned many times by people who say they want this life, but give up after a few months of hard work and the challenges this life presents. I am 56 years old and spent 25 years in the US Public Health Service as a scientist before retiring in 2014 to prepare full-time.  This is my first attempt to outreach to the larger community.

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Good luck with your project!

I’d suggest you write a longer post telling us about yourself, your goals and what you’ve accomplished so far (with photos). If you were in New England instead of the the PNW my wife and I would’ve been very interested in exploring a partnership for when we retire in 2019. Tell us what kind of partners you’re looking for and what you would expect of them. You might find some partners here and you’d definitely contribute a lot to the conversation.

RRKauffman's picture
RRKauffman
riverhavenfarm.org

This site along with FB page will give interested persons a sense of what I am doing. As I work 12 hour days, 7 days per week, I am unable to follow through on your excellent recommendations at this time.  I will  happily take the time to follow up with interested parties.  Thank you.

Uncletommy's picture
Uncletommy
Develop your market, carefully!

Having gone the self-suffiency route myself and realized substantial savings in my food costs over the years, I would caution anyone planning to scale up to a marketable enterprise to keep your finger on the pulse of your local market. Growing food for yourself is one thing, but to grow it for a fickle public with a limited disposable income could be setting yourself up for an extended "break-even-itis".  The recent interview with Joel Salatin on the PP featured voices, highlighted the many challenges facing a direct marketing enterprise. You would be well served by by listening to this interview several times and explore between the lines of Joel's comments. As you point out:

I have been burned many times by people who say they want this life, but give up after a few months of hard work and the challenges this life presents.

The reality of scale, cheap labour and energy, and technology will be your Achilles-heel in competing with the majors. Those with a disposable income sufficient to afford a perceived quality premium are limited and usually location specific. If you successfully market to this clientele and maintain a solid relationship, more power to you. Some of the many hurdles I encountered that thwarted my decision to commit to the direct market approach were, inventory costs, transportation logistics, labour(my own and family), cash flow, and infrastructure. Ultimately, it all boils down to "what is your time worth and what are your efforts accomplishing". As my big farm neighbor (4800 acres) put it, "I'm still a peasant working for others and tied to the land". Be careful for what you wish for; you might get it!

RRKauffman's picture
RRKauffman
Lessons learned

I agree whole heartedly, and decided several months ago (after losing my young farm manager to the lure of selling real estate) to stop producing for market, other than selling excess whole sheep from my flock.  Once my current inventory of chickens and turkeys are gone, I am done.  My intent is then to refocus on enjoying what I have created and continue working towards greater self-sufficiency.  I do intend to keep the state certified poultry processing business going as long as there is demand, since I have one of only two facilities in a two county area, and it is profitable.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments