The honey tap; kickstarter. Interesting!

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Mon, Feb 16, 2015 - 12:12am

It's a new invention called Honey Flow. <- click on the link to learn more.

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Beekeeping Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of bee enthusiasts share information, insights and knowledgable daily discussion to help each other support and nuture the pollinators our food supply is so dependent on. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

16 Comments

robshepler's picture
robshepler
Interesting!

Not much has changed in beekeeping for about 150 years. We are about due for a revolution, this will be interesting to watch.

Anybody else notice there is no robbing going on? My bees would be all over those jars, open feeding.

BCBeek's picture
BCBeek
Hmmm...

Automating a highly complex natural system. That's never gone bad for humans...:)

I'll try to keep an open mind.

This recent article peaked my interest too:

Can Mushrooms Save the Honeybee?

http://crosscut.com/2015/02/can-mushrooms-save-honeybee/

Thetallestmanonearth's picture
Thetallestmanonearth
My first pack of bees arrives

My first pack of bees arrives on April 15th.  I want to learn to do it the old way first, but I'll be watching this closely to see what people think when they actually hit the market.  My concern is propolis sealing the mechanism shut.

Montana Native's picture
Montana Native
Complexity

I see this as being very complex and probably having constant maintenance issues. Probably as novel as this wine drinking technique. As always, I could be wrong. Besides, I love using my extractor.

DennisC's picture
DennisC
My First Pack of Beers Arrive

Sorry, not making fun, just another do-it-yur-selfer having fun using nature's creatures to make some sweet "stuff".

www.midwestsupplies.com/

Wildlife Tracker's picture
Wildlife Tracker
Cool

Pretty cool. Obviously requires a queen excluder and it does seem like a lot of work for plastic to squeeze 10s of pounds of wax and honey. After the first season, I would think the ability for the cells to collapse would get ruined by the first year's wax. My pot from boiling the wax is still caked in wax. Impossible to remove it completely.This tool might work okay for a few seasons.

Thanks for sharing.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
causes concern

see no real good coming from this.

foundationless natural cell comb beek

Sterling Cornaby's picture
Sterling Cornaby
bees

This is cool.  I have never raised bees, but I am considering giving this a try.  If it gets some of us folks started by making it appear somewhat easier then maybe, even if it is not perfect, it will get people like me into bees.

If I go for it i will let you know if or how well it works, in quite few years (doesn't come until Dec 2015)

robshepler's picture
robshepler
Hooray Robie!

Foundationless, natural cells size, so many great benefits of beekeeping this way!

I am old school, 35 years ago we used to remove drone cell as we didn't want them eating our hard earned honey. JUST THINK WHAT WE DID TO THE GENE POOL. There are only a hand full of large scale queen breeders in this country and we all pretty much pull from their stock. By going natural and letting the bees draw the comb like THEY want, we end up getting many many more drones to cross out in the breeding process!

As much trouble as we have keeping bees alive these days, for goodness sake lets deepen the gene pool when we can. I am a no treat beekeeper as well, if bees can't live without artificial support we don't need them in the gene pool.

Warre, top bar and Langstroth can all be run foundationless, GREAT to know there are others here that see the sense in foundationless beekeeping.

Good going Robie!

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
cold climate top bar hives

having some top bar hives an experience i had was a winter loss from what can be assumed to bee the cluster migration followed stores to one end of a 4' TBH. when the stores were exhausted on that end the cluster died. they were only a few feet from sufficient stores, ie at. the other end of the hive.

we're mostly medium frame langstroth foundationless. I use 20# mono filiment running thru the frame on any new hives to help them get the idea. this helps during extraction, (I think) second year comb is never a problem. there have been comb collapses during extraction (centrifugal) if hot and young wax. i've moved brood comb up a super before, the nurses raise brood then draw comb in the empty lower story frames. stores are soon secured in the former brood frame/comb and it is sufficient stregnth for extraction etc.

this typing is hard 

ps TBH's are a product of more equatorial beeks

tricky rick's picture
tricky rick
Mason bee boys

My mason bees are proven to out-pollinate honey bees, don't sting (without undue stress) and are great friends of the garden.

Gentle but maniacally industrious...   but they don't make honey...

kind of like Henry Rearden without the bling  -   ha!

blackeagle's picture
blackeagle
Are they as cool as they look?

The videos are very nice and polished. They make the product very appealing. However, I have some reserves.

Honey, when ready to harvest, have between 16.5 and 17.5% of moisture in it. This honey doesn't flow as readily as it look in the videos. This is why we need centrifugal extractors. You can take an uncapped frame, turn it upside down and no honey will flow. The size of the cells and the honey viscosity will make it stick right in the cell.

If the moisture level is higher, then the honey flows. However, it will rapidly ferment (There are a lot of yeast spores) and spoil unless you freeze it. It won't preserve at room temperature.

If the moisture level is lower, then there is no practical way to extract the honey. Especially with this mechanism. You can still press beeswax frames to force extract honey. Another potential issue I see is that the force required to move the mechanism could be higher than the strength of the material: it will be broken.

I see this system more for hobbyists than for professionals. 

I will wait until enough people will try it and provide feedback. Its too soon now to say anything good or bad.

Australian weather is a lot different from the Canadian one (temperature, length of the hot season, etc...). This system may not be usable in Canada.

AaronMcKeon's picture
AaronMcKeon
Word in Australia

My wife was just WWOOFing at a permaculture property in Victoria and the asked the owner his opinion on this. I was amazed to hear they got on Kickstarter hoping to raise $75k and pulled in over $4mm! They're apparently working through the backlog of people they owe product. The guy who owned the property my wife was at said he thinks people who think this will be a turn-key / no-maintenance solution will be in for a rude awakening since it could help immensely with the honey extraction but all the other aspects of bee keeping will still be there. He's waiting to see what people say once it's more commonly used before he buys it himself but that he thinks it's a very promising idea (albeit not the "push-button" system some people might take it to be).

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
a pro beekeeper's take

"As a beekeeper with approximately thirty colonies at any one time, and as president emeritus of the Ontario-Finger Lakes Beekeepers Association, I’ve been almost overwhelmed by the Flow Hive™. Specifically, I’ve been tagged, e-mailed, shared with, tweeted at, shared with, tagged, tweeted at, shared with, tagged, shared with, and tweeted at to the point where I should feel grateful that so many people value my opinion on this topic, but all it really makes me want to do at this point is slap people just to make it stop.

"But that’s not really fair, because they don’t realize the extent to which every beekeeper with anything even approaching a public platform has been barraged by news of and questions about this interesting gimmick. (Did he just call it a gimmick? He totally just called it a gimmick!)"

read the rest here.

jgritter's picture
jgritter
Bee raid

When out to check the chickens this afternoon and discovered an epic honey raid in progress.  I had left an empty hive set up with a variety of mixed  and partial deep frames, perhaps 20 to 30 pounds of fermenting honey, and pretty much forgotten about it.  Today dozens of yellow jackets and hundreds of honey bees are locked in a pitched battle all over the hive.  I'll be very curious to see how much honey is being stripped from the hive.

John G.

nigel's picture
nigel
Flow Hive

I purchased one, it arrives next month.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments