Home invasion armed response on camera

thc0655
By thc0655 on Fri, Jan 23, 2015 - 6:02pm

In an apartment building, a crazed man kicks in his neighbor's door wielding a machete intent on killing the two people inside.  The resident locks his door but when the crazed, homicidal man kicks in his door he fires three shots from his handgun, putting an end to the danger.  The crazy neighbor with the machete lives and will now stand trial on serious charges.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/graphic-video-the-only-proof-you-need-that-guns-save-lives-i-did-the-right-thing_01232015

Take aways:

1. In many ways, handguns/firearms save lives. Duh.

2. If you don't own any firearms, how would you deal with this kind of incident at your home?  You may not have a firearm, but you still need a plan.  In fact, you're in more urgent need of a plan than someone else who has a firearm and an armed response plan.

3.  If you do own firearms, where do you keep them while you're in the house relaxing?  This incident unfolds in seconds, so if your firearm is difficult and time-consuming to access you may need an alternate plan more similar to the plan of someone who DOESN'T have any firearms.  If you do own firearms for home defense, you should start with a plan that addresses an incident like this that unfolds from zero to life-threatening danger in less than 10 seconds.  

4. Please take note of how flimsy this door and frame were!  This is an interior hallway of an apartment building and that door opened into the public hallway.  It was a "modern" hollow core door with a frame made of soft pine (or something similar).  The locks on the door were next to useless.  The wood is so soft I'm sure the dead bolt and possibly the door knob can be reinstalled on a new door.  The world's best locks are non-factors with doors and frames this flimsy.  Do you have any doors like this opening to the outside, or on the inside of your residence?  Please upgrade your hardware if you can, but in any case develop home defense plans that take the actual strength of your doors into account.

5. I'm not sure what went on inside the apartment after the shots are fired and the camera is knocked over, leaving only audio recording still functioning.  I'm not sure what the armed resident was doing while waiting for police and medics, but there are two things he might have done to help himself in that moment and in the aftermath in the legal system.  First, if possible to do so relatively safely, the armed resident should have removed the machete from the maniac's reach.  It would be entirely possible for the maniac to realize after a minute or two of laying wounded on the floor that he was NOT actually incapacitated.  If he was sufficiently crazy or determined, there probably would be no physical reason he couldn't get back on his feet with his machete in hand and attempt to finish what he came to do.  It happens all the time in real life on the street.  That's why a police officer in this situation would handcuff the downed suspect: to prevent a resumption of life-threatening violence and the need to shoot the bad guy again.  I'm not suggesting a "civilian" handcuff someone they shoot, but I would recommend removing any weapons the bad guy has IF you can do so without putting yourself into further danger (or at least MORE danger than leaving the weapon within his reach).  Second, depending on the details of the situation after the bad guy is shot, attempting to provide first aid (eg. putting pressure on the wounds to stop/slow the bleeding) would be a humane thing to do and might look really good to the police who have to decide whether to charge the shooter with a crime and to the jury if the shooter gets sued in civil court for unnecessary violence or wilful disregard for human life.  Again, don't do this if you can't do it safely, and that will be determined by many factors.  Don't assume the bad guy is immobilized or incapable of further violence, though he may be (and that would make it safer to attempt first aid).  If you do attempt first aid, it would be best for one person to stand guard with the gun ready to respond if necessary, and for a second or any additional people to perform the first aid.  Safety first though. If in any doubt, just stay back (and if asked by police or an attorney suing you why you didn't provide first aid tell them that you considered it and your reasons for not trying).  If you are a law enforcement officer or a medical professional, your reasons for not attempting to provide first aid better be good because you are expected to provide care under normal conditions.  A civil attorney could rip you to shreds in court for being so cold-hearted to a suffering human being (of course he'd leave out the part about that suffering human being's attempt to kill you!).

So: How many of you are reasonably confident you could handle this kind of bizarre attack at your home this evening?  Do you need to tweak your plans and hardware in some ways?

Tom

By the way, I have dealt with the subject of personal safety and home defense in great length in two previous posts and a wiki.  If you haven't already seen them on this site, you might find them beneficial:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/protecting-yourself-against-crime-and...

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/fortifying-yourself-and-your-home-aga...

http://www.peakprosperity.com/wiki/191/personal-safety-home-defense

Login or Register to post comments