If you want to help in a great global environmental project

Liz Connor
By Liz Connor on Sat, Jan 17, 2015 - 11:52pm

I have recently been inspired by the activities of whatifwechange.org, which encourages people interested in investing and/or donating money in an international project that helps indigenous groups living in degraded land to understand the damage they have done to their local ecosystem by trying to continue their traditional way of life, eg by deforestation or over-fishing. Then, with co-ordination and financial compensation from the project, they start acting together to restore their land to productive functioning. This project was in turn inspired by the first such scheme, which was carried out by the Chinese government on the Loess Plateau starting in 1995, see the short film, 'Hope in a Changing Climate' (available on youtube).

Well-known Australian permaculturists, Geoff and Nadia Lawton, are also engaged in a very interesting project in Jordan, see 'Greening the Desert II' on vimeo.

The film on several current projects, 'What if we Change?', is available on the whatifwechange.org website, and is about 50 minutes long. If you don't have time to watch the whole film, I suggest you start around 30 minutes in, where they get down to the nitty gritty stuff.

I am posting to this site for two reasons:

1. for people worried about future shock and also interested in how environmental knowledge can help us make at least some of the changes we need to make

2. for people who have money that they want to invest ethically (these people seem to be the main target audience) - or even to donate to suitable projects, rather than just make sure that they and their family will be OK when the system collapses. This project needs all the help it can get from wealthy Westerners.

Login or Register to post comments