Map: Literally every goat in the United States

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Mon, Jan 12, 2015 - 10:00pm

Did any of you get that early 2014 mailing, that 8-10-page questionnaire from the USDA about what you were growing? (Since all I have is a kitchen garden I had no livestock - but they asked.)

Well, the data is in. Here's part of it: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/01/12/map-literally-every-goat-in-the-united-states/

There's some interesting data here. For example, nearly 80% of the goats in the USA are being raised for meat,, 16% for milk (and milk products, like cheese). and 6% are Angora goats for mohair. I had assumed the ones raised for milk would be a much higher percentage.

4 Comments

Stoicsmile's picture
Stoicsmile
Livestock Conservancy

I'm considering raising meat goats. Both my wife and I have day jobs, so milking goats twice a day is not going to happen. I just joined the Livestock Conservancy and am considering the Arapawa and Myotonic breeds.

Thanks for all your good posts, Wendy!

~Bill Bishop

Bytesmiths's picture
Bytesmiths
Myotonics?

Interesting you're considering Myotonics for meat. They're generally small, aren't they. But they'd be easy to catch!

Boers are the usual choice for meat goats.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Slow food ark of taste

We have some myotonia is our goats.  they're some of the finest table fare! Boers are TOOO dependent on "ectins" to live where humidity is a factor. (the east thru the midwest) Dr. Sponenberg of VA Tech. may hold the finest repository of myotonic genetics. we're heavy into Kiko genetics, but goats have a poor conversion to protein feed ration.

may i suggest Katahdin sheep?

robie,

http://mdgoattest.blogspot.com/2007/08/sex-goat.html

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
OBTW

OBTW, we have semen from a buck, Arapawa in our tank and have found no reason to use it. too poor of a feed to protein conversion ratio.

we have goats for their milk (twice a day is too much) seperate dam from off spring each eve. and milch-n-morn, returning them together for.... till milch is a needed

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments