What have I missed?

sivarik
By sivarik on Sun, Nov 30, 2014 - 7:38am

Hello fellow 3 members,

Have I missed something? 

In the Crash Course, Chris explains how the current economic system must have eternal, exponential growth. He also comments that the bottom line in the entire course (I paraphrase) is that unlimited growth in the context of finite resources is impossible.  And, last but not least, he points out that a monetary system of some kind is unavoidable.  So, given just these three concepts, how is it that there is not a vibrant discussion on the shape of a sustainable economic paradigm? I've scanned all the groups but maybe I missed something - is there another group where this discussion is taking place?

Thanks,

sivarik

3 Comments

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Be the Change Sivarik!

I took the gift of your post and joined the group... I agree that we should be talking more about what a sustainable future economy would look like. 

http://www.yesmagazine.org/happiness/to-build-community-an-economy-of-gifts

....More directly posed: community is nearly impossible in a highly monetized society like our own. That is because community is woven from gifts, which is ultimately why poor people often have stronger communities than rich people. If you are financially independent, then you really don't depend on your neighbors—or indeed on any specific person—for anything. You can just pay someone to do it, or pay someone else to do it.

In former times, people depended for all of life's necessities and pleasures on people they knew personally. If you alienated the local blacksmith, brewer, or doctor, there was no replacement. Your quality of life would be much lower. If you alienated your neighbors then you might not have help if you sprained your ankle during harvest season, or if your barn burnt down. Community was not an add-on to life, it was a way of life. Today, with only slight exaggeration, we could say we don't need anyone. I don't need the farmer who grew my food—I can pay someone else to do it. I don't need the mechanic who fixed my car. I don't need the trucker who brought my shoes to the store. I don't need any of the people who produced any of the things I use. I need someone to do their jobs, but not the unique individual people. They are replaceable and, by the same token, so am I.

deedanny's picture
deedanny
local currency- Transferable Tax Credit

As the name suggests a Transferable tax credit is a prepaid tax credit which may be accepted as local currency.As it is a prepaid tax ,it is redeemable on demand for payment for any fee tax or fine due to the issuing body.The primary purpose of this program is to promote local commerce,however an interesting side effect is the possibility for a pool of interest free working capital for the issuing governing body

Creation of a Transferable Tax credit requires three things

1: A governing body Be it Municipal,County .Regional ,Provincial or State must offer.the Tax Credit in lieu of a mutually agreed on percentage of  wages, services or fees .

2 :A sufficient number of employees ,service providers,and/or creditors must be willing to accept the Tax Credit in lieu of wages ,fees or payment for goods.

3:A sufficient number of local commercial enterprises ie: grocery,clothing and other such,stores as well as other assorted service providers must be willing to accept the Tax Credit as payment for a percentage of a transaction

How it works;

Employee A of the city works decides to take ten percent of her wages in .T.T.C.;perhaps $500.00 worth .This money now remains in the cities bank account and will remain there until the TTC s are redeemed.

The employee now takes the TTCs to the grocery store that has agreed to take them as payment and spends them as money.The grocery store then has the choice of redeeming the TTCs or passing them on as wages or payment for goods and services. The longer the TTCs remain in circulation the longer the city has an interest free pool of available cash.

sivarik's picture
sivarik
aphorisms

as much as i would like to read all the valuable input provided, my partner and i run a certified organic livestock farm and i have an outside job on top of that.  both my time and my personal tastes have created in me a penchant for aphorisms.  i'd like to suggest that all commentators summarize their main idea(s) in 108 words or less.  links to more detailed info is welcome and would be exempt from the 108 guidance.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments