The ATF's Fake Retail Stores, Bad Behavior... And Why It Only Came Out Because They Failed To Pay Rent

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Fri, Nov 28, 2014 - 1:08am

Can you name the rights being violated here?

WTF ATF: The ATF's Fake Retail Stores, Bad Behavior... And Why It Only Came Out Because They Failed To Pay Rent (techdirt)

The story is all kinds of stunning, including the insane fact that most of the details came out, and the reporters only began their investigation, because some undercover ATF agents in Milwaukee had trashed the property they were renting, and refused to pay the rent or damages to the landlord -- even threatening the landlord, claiming he was harassing federal agents by asking for the rent:

John Diedrich: I get a call. And it was from a landlord, a guy named Dave Salkin. And Dave Salkin owns this place that he, unbeknownst to him, rented to the ATF. Didn't know who they were, they were undercover agents. And they had trashed his place, and they were behind on rent. They had threatened him. And I said, where are you, I'm coming right now.

Ira Glass: While they were undercover, agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives basically ripped up his place. Salkin said at the time that they owed $15,000 in damages and back rent. Later he said it was more. When he tried to collect, they didn't pay up. In fact, an ATF lawyer warned him that if he kept asking for the money, it could be seen as harassing federal agents.

1 Comment

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Sad state of affairs

These guys are literally the worst America has to offer. Take a shitty, unorganized street gang, clean them up, and give them a budget and you've got the ATF. I'm glad Eric Holder was so busy "championing civil rights" that he didn't have time to do his job and see that Federal Law Enforcement didn't become a reckless hobby for frat boys while Uncle Sugar foots the bill. 

These agencies need to be dismantled before they turn into the SS...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments