A real self-defense story

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Wed, Oct 1, 2014 - 1:36pm

She Woke Up to Sound of Her ‘Stalker’ Kicking in Her Door. He Was Left in ‘Disbelief’ at What Was Waiting for Him on the Other Side.

The woman reportedly called 911 after Jackson arrived and kicked at her door at around 1 a.m. Friday. When he forced his way in, she fired two shots, one hitting him directly in the chest, police said.

She had a CCP and it trumped an rather useless order of protection.

5 Comments

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Warning shots

Yay for the young lady!  I hope this puts an end to it (but there's no guarantee).

1.  I don't think I'd put my thoughts on the internet after a self-defense shooting.  First, the police and the District Attorney may read something there that causes them to reevaluate whether or not you were legally justified in all you did.  Second, an ambitious attorney surely would scour your blog for his civil suit against you in behalf of the stalker.  The fact that you wrote ANTHING would be the first strike against you.  Third, friends/family of the stalker may use your blog to motivate their revenge on you for shooting their loved one "for no reason."

2.  The self-defense lady wrote about warning shots:

She continued: “And for the ‘shouldve fired a warning shot’ folks: There are no warning shots, a gun is a deadly force, you only pull that trigger if you are in fear for your life and all other methods of deterring are gone. When he kicked my door in, there was no longer a deterrent preventing harm. Warning shots are dangerous and could hurt the unintended. This is not a wild west movie. That’s what responsible gun ownership is. Ill update once things have calmed down a bit I promise.”

She's exactly right and apparently well-trained: Never fire a warning shot!  Ever.  If your life is in imminent danger right now this second, it would be tactically unsound (ie. "dumb") to waste time and ammunition with a warning shot.  If your life is not quite in danger at this moment (perhaps because he's still outside your door), then firing any shots is a felony and you could/should be prosecuted for those warning shots.  And it gets worse if you hit anyone or anything with your warning shots.  Don't listen to VP Biden.  Listen to me.

http://gunsnfreedom.com/another-man-arrested-for-following-joe-bidens-advice-and-firing-warning-shot-with-shotgun/

I take it back.  Here's a hypothetical situation in which warning shots are justified.  Say you're at work, and some guy who was just fired from his job at your work place comes in foaming at the mouth.  He's carrying a huge hunting knife, screaming he's going to behead every one in the place. He lunges and stabs the receptionist in the chest, then turns towards the next closest person in the room: YOU!  You already drew your handgun two seconds ago and without speaking you fire two well-aimed shots, hitting the maniac square in the chest with both.  That's his warning that if he doesn't stop and surrender your next shot will be in his head!!  wink

Tom

"Welcome to the Hunger Games. And may the odds be ever in your favor."

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Social media

I was not suggesting putting a blow-by-blow description on social media was a good thing. Just reporting what actually happened. .

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Take a Handgun Safety Course

This is a great wakeup call to all who own handguns. Take a course from a certified instructor. The training could determine what split second decision you make in a questionable situation. My course for a Concealed Carry Permit was given by a retired law officer and was one of the most valuable days I ever spent. He used much of the time explaining why we should not shoot a weapon, and went into civil suits that might result, but in the end he stressed that once the decision was made you had to shoot to stop the intruder.

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Oliveoilguy wrote: This is a
Oliveoilguy wrote:

This is a great wakeup call to all who own handguns. Take a course from a certified instructor. The training could determine what split second decision you make in a questionable situation. My course for a Concealed Carry Permit was given by a retired law officer and was one of the most valuable days I ever spent. He used much of the time explaining why we should not shoot a weapon, and went into civil suits that might result, but in the end he stressed that once the decision was made you had to shoot to stop the intruder.

I'll expand on this just a bit. I agree it's a great idea to take your state's concealed carry course, or if your state does not have a required course taking a concealed carry handgun course focusing on your state's use-of-force laws and safety. However that is not training. Set aside several hours and pay someone who is knowledgeable in defensive handgun use to teach you how to use a handgun defensively. You have no idea what you don't know and once you take one of these courses you realize that you're just scratching the surface. They're a lot of fun and the tools you learn you can take home and practice for yourself. Locally, a good instructor costs $25 an hour, so for hundred bucks you can get a great training course spread out over three or four sessions.

Time2help's picture
Time2help

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments