Head down into harvest season.

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Tue, Sep 16, 2014 - 9:25pm

Harvest time is a busy time in our garden, how about yours? We harvested two bushels of pears at the family farm, and were given a half-bushel of local apples. These are all canned now as pear slices, pear chunks, pear sauce, and pear butter - and apples for pies. I just made muscadine grape jelly after making a case of fig/lemon/walnut jam. We canned pindo palm and elderberry syrup. I canned jalapeno slices. We have sun-dried jalapenos and dehydrated mushrooms. I just put up a quart of sun-dried tomatoes - more than we will use in a year. Spices--parsley, oregano, rosemary, culinary lavender, thyme, dill--are drying on a rack. Seeds are being saved from the various peppers, tomato varieties, carrots, lettuces. We freeze cabbage shred to put in meals like fried rice and Italian wedding soup.

And I have not even started to can the pickles and tomato sauce yet.

Meanwhile it is fall planting time. Kale, parsnips, fall cabbage, broccoli, and daikon radishes are being planted. The potato onion sets just came, as well as a new variety of garlic. (Potato onions, like Egyptian walking onions, are a "perennial" onion that re-seeds itself.)

If I am not around as much as usual, it's because we are mostly living in the kitchen, preserving food. But we would not have it any other way. It's not just a skill for food security: home-grown means that we can control the sugar, salt and chemicals in what we eat.

We've got a new pressure canner to try out, too. Fun times.

1 Comment

robshepler's picture
robshepler
Autumn

There are lots of postings on this site about precious metals, as usual Wendy, you show us where the gold really is.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments