The Coming Apocalypse, by historian Dominic Sandbrook (2030: Islamic State's multiple fronts in Egypt, Israel, Iraq....)

Poet
By Poet on Fri, Sep 5, 2014 - 5:27am

"This is Britain in 2030: frightened, fractious and weary, its economy sunk in the longest depression in history, its people haunted by terrorism and war."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2732268/The-coming-apocalypse-Last-week-historian-DOMINIC-SANDBROOK-wrote-damning-critique-West-s-failure-halt-Islamic-fanatics-Now-savage-murder-confirmed-worst-fears-looks-future.html

Poet

3 Comments

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Yep

Yeah, their empire ended years ago and I get the impression they are hanging on by a thread.

Poet's picture
Poet
Life in 2030 - Speculation by a Redditor

Life in 2030
by a banned Redditor from the Netherlands who keeps creating new accounts to post...

"By 2030, there are places that have collapsed. Syria, Libya and Iraq no longer exist, but are now ruled by regional strongmen and stuck in low intensity tribal conflicts that don't come to an end. The problem these countries have is that they are synthetic states, formerly kept together only through force. The European Union as we know it today exists only in name still. To deal with refugee streams from Africa and the Middle East, internal border controls have been reinstated. Italy, Greece and Spain are forced to deal with the mess, the UK has further isolated itself from the European mainland. Large parts of France are no-go areas for non-muslims.

"Other places that have undergone balkanization? The United States. Shale oil production peaked somewhere between 2015 and 2020, after which oil production rapidly plunged, leading to mass unemployment and a very rapid decline in GDP. State governments no longer enforce many federal laws. It started with cannabis and gay marriage laws, it eventually moved over to other aspects as well. With every democrat elected as president, red states began to defy the federal government more. There is still a president, but he functions a lot like the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, officially ruling over a patchwork of nations he has no genuine control over. What remains of the poorly maintained infrastructure has by now been turned into a number of toll roads in many places. For outsiders, costs of travelling through the toll boots is very high. Internally, many people have started migrating to Alaska, as it still has potential for economic development.

"In Africa, climate change has taken its toll."

https://www.reddit.com/r/accountt1234/comments/3ekgr9/life_in_2030/

Poet

Poet's picture
Poet
Life in 2300 - speculative fiction by a Redditor

Life in 2300
by a banned Redditor from the Netherlands who keeps creating new accounts to post...

"The people who built the mountain houses left other things behind as well. Broken bottles, long metal wires, strange bits of just about anything. Soft gooey stuff in bottles, that tastes disgusting, but looks and smells marvelous. The old wizard warned me not to eat or throw anything we find into a fire, before asking him. Today I brought him something, a strange small box with wires, that made him very delighted.

"I saw him toy around with the wires while talking to himself, then not much later, he began to laugh. "Ah yes, there you go!" The old wizard said, as he walked back to us. We now have something very unusual. A small box that can be pressed down, then produces a small ray of light, like a firefly at night. The wizard told me he wished to keep it for himself, because it is very easy to damage such a box by accident. I have never seen such a thing before, but the wizard claims that he has had multiple. I asked him to show me his inventions, by now he trusted me enough to take me with him.

"He took me, my friend Asma and her little brother down with him into a stinking dark room. He looked around for a bit, then grabbed a potato that lied on a desk. It had wires sticking out of it, he pushed some of the wires around, then a tiny bright light emerged, that lit the room like a firefly would a beautiful forest."

https://www.reddit.com/r/accountt1234/comments/3fbxkj/life_in_2300/

Poet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments