books on money, monetary systems, currency, debt

Arthur2014
By Arthur2014 on Tue, Aug 26, 2014 - 4:36pm

Dear all,

I am such an outdated person that I need to read texts in the printed version on paper. Otherwise I cannot keep anything in mind.

Therefore I propose to open this new thread in order to exclusively list the bibliographic data (author and title) of books worth reading and in order to comment on them.

Many forum members casually mention interesting books in the relevant thread on the special topic where these books belong to.

I can read only relatively few single threads so that interesting hints in the vast majority of the threads which I don’t read escape me. I cannot search for them using the search function because I don’t know about these books in advance. So I don’t know what to look for.

If we additionally list all these bibliographic data in one special thread it would be easier to notice them and the books would get broader attention in the whole general group.

If forum members want to discuss one of these books they could subsequently open a special thread for it.

(One could open further threads, for example for exclusively listing web resources on the same topic.)

This thread should be dedicated to books on the concept of money, currency, on monetary systems and debt.

Everyone is invited to contribute. I hope that I will not be the only one.

Best regards

3 Comments

Arthur2014's picture
Arthur2014
Smithin, John: What is Money? (1999)

A collection of academic papers edited by

Smithin, John (1999):

What is Money? (Routledge International Studies in Money and Banking)

Series: Routledge International Studies in Money and Banking

Paperback: 278 pages

Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (December 4, 1999)

ISBN-10: 0415407079

ISBN-13: 978-0415407076

John Smithin’s introduction outlining the individual papers and putting them in a context is very instructive for me. Even if one does not intend to read the papers themselves.

Arthur2014's picture
Arthur2014
Smithin, John; Fundamental Theory of Monetary Economics (2013)

A more recent monograph by the same author:

Smithin, John (2013):

Essays in the Fundamental Theory of Monetary Economics and Macroeconomics

Hardcover: 340 pages

Publisher: World Scientific Publishing Company; 1 edition (August 24, 2013)

ISBN-10: 9814289167

ISBN-13: 978-9814289160

From the amazon.com web page:

“This book provides a comprehensive overview, in the form of eight long essays, of the evolution of monetary theory over the three-quarters of century, from the time of Keynes to the present day. The essays are originally based on lecture notes from a graduate course on Advanced Monetary Economics offered at York University, Toronto, written in the style of academic papers. The essays are mathematical in method -- but also take a historical perspective, tracing the evolution of monetary thought through the Keynesian model, the monetarist model, new classical model, etc, up to and including the neo-Wickesellian models of the early 21st century. The book will be an essential resource for both graduate and advanced undergraduate students in economics, as well as for individual researchers seeking basic information on the theoretical background of contemporary debates.

Readership: Graduate and advanced undergraduate courses in monetary theory.”

Arthur2014's picture
Arthur2014
Mian, Atif / Sufi, Amir: House of Debt (2014)

In Adam Taggart’s interview with Lacy Hunt from August 24 2014 Hunt positively mentioned:

Mian, Atif / Sufi, Amir (2014): House of Debt: How They (and You) Caused the Great Recession, and How We Can Prevent It from Happening Again

Hardcover: 192 pages

Publisher: University Of Chicago Press (May 21, 2014)

ISBN-10: 022608194X

ISBN-13: 978-0226081946

I don’t know the book yet. I will order a copy.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments