Earthquake - Everybody OK?

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Sun, Aug 24, 2014 - 12:25pm

The house shook pretty well when the 6.1 mag quake hit at 3:20am this morning, but fortunately no damage.

Off in the distance, I could see flashes from Santa Rosa as transformers blew.

Have talked to a few friends from Napa. Am hearing stories of overturned furniture, power outages, and buckled streets.

Hope everyone reading this is OK. Let us know for sure, if you have a chance.

cheers,

Adam

4 Comments

greendoc's picture
greendoc
all good here in Bennett Valley.....

I was awake when it started and it rolled for a good 15 seconds.  It did not even wake up the dog.  We had some art hanging askew this morning. No power outage.  But the most significant I have felt since moving here in 92.  There is an offshoot of the Rogers Creek fault about a quarter mile from where we live that had a 3.2 quake fifteen years ago, maybe we will get some movement from that now. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bay-Area-quake-struck-on-long-dormant...

kelvinator's picture
kelvinator
Rocking and Rolling in Marin North of SF

The difference between my wife, who grew up in Queens, and me, who grew up in south California:

At 3:20AM, my wife apparently woke up from the strong rolling quake.  It seemed strong and went on for so long, she woke me up.  I was slightly bothered to be woken, felt the rolling stop, turned over and went right back to sleep.   

This AM after I got up, though, I thought again whether it'd be worth starting earthquake insurance with its huge ($50-60K plus) deductible before the aftershocks roll in.  We'd already put money into extra earthquake strapping, replaced wooden and concrete supports,  and a major reinforcing concrete foundation wall across the middle of the house and ties for the deck supports on recommendation of soil and engineering reports after we bought the house 3 years ago.  It's on bedrock, but also on a hillside.   We'd also had, at a plumber's suggestion, put in an automatic quake gas shutoff on the gas meter for our house.  When I came upstairs, I immediately went over and turned on a stove burner, and was surprised to find that gas was still flowing.

Anyway, this time around, everything seems fine.  A main concern for us is fire in our forested area as the hills around us are likely slowly drying out in the drought as time goes by.  For now, no problems there as well.  We're going to buy bikes for both of us so we have a means of getting out of here fast if there's ever a fire alert.   The windy road to our house is narrow, and a former firechief who lives just uphill near the end of our road recently posted that he hopes he just isn't home if there's ever a fire in our canyon.  We went to a fire prep talk recently that showed raw footage of the chaos near the fire line in the huge Oakland fire a couple of decades ago that took many lives;   cars jammed in and trying to back up, drive around obstacles, a hysterical woman crying in the passenger seat, vehicles generally going nowhere as flames approach and fire trucks try unsuccessfully to move the other way against traffic and maneuvering vehicles.  A reminder that best you can do is try to be prepared then ride things out as best you can, realizing, of course, that you aren't going to be able to control everything.  

Time2help's picture
Time2help
markarsenal's picture
markarsenal
First Quake Since Moving to SoCo

Lived through many earthquakes in my many years in SF, but this was the first one since I have lived on the side of a hill in the redwoods outside Guerneville. It woke me up, seemed to last forever. The cottage I live in was built from scratch over the last year and so I wondered just how good those footings would hold :-)

The shaking stopped, and I wasn't sliding down the hill. Good footings. I looked at the alarm clock. Power was still on. Another night in Cali. Zzzzzzz....

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments