Burning Man 2014

Dick
By Dick on Tue, Aug 19, 2014 - 5:14pm

8 Comments

rhare's picture
rhare
Ill be there....

Same camp (PP), come by and say hi.  Frantically packing.. -)

tonypee's picture
tonypee
Awesome - know anyone with a

Awesome - know anyone with a ticket or two for sale? ;P (no joke)

Dick's picture
Dick
Ticket

Tonypee,

That's a common question. I'm still looking and have a few people with people on the fence. Saw an ad on craigslist - the body of the ad was $1000/ticket want 25, no VP as they are all flying in. The turnkey camps are really messing it up. Seems like the worst year ever but I was pretty much insulated working with DPW 2007-2012.

Anyway, I was going to go to the Burner Hostel and help with airport rides and such. If I still don't find any I would may go up as a member of the public with the right to transit the 'forbidden' zone and camp out in the open playa for a few days - near a hot spring. Or avoid traffic altogether and hit another Playa. Definitely packing my copy of the closure order and map!

Really up in the air until Saturday morning.

DIck

my favorite ad: [http://sfbay/craigslist.org/eby/tix/4626222420.html]

can't seem to paste?

rhare's picture
rhare
I'll keep a watch out.

Over the last week I've seen a couple go by on some of the mailing lists I'm on.  If I see any I'll post them here and send you both private messages.  Good luck on finding a ticket.  If your ready to go at the last minute I suspect you may have luck. 

If you do get a ticket, come and ask for Rabbit at camp Poly Paradise.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
I' love to go someday...

I would really like to attend Burning Man someday.  I'm pretty sure I would be enthralled by the spectacle as I really appreciate creativity.

And I'd like to observe how the largest non-cash economy of which I am aware functions.  What's the true value of various goods and services?  Do they vary across the camp?  How are they set?

rhare's picture
rhare
Burning Man - not really an alternative economy..
cmarteson wrote:

I would really like to attend Burning Man someday.  I'm pretty sure I would be enthralled by the spectacle as I really appreciate creativity.

It is definitely quite the spectacle.  We spoke about it around the camp fire after my second burn at the Lowesville seminar in 2009 - do you remember?    The Burning Man community is very much like the community you talk about - not just at the event, but year round. The ethos of many (a higher percentage than in the general population) in the community mimic many of those of the crash course - self reliance, preparedness, community, etc.

cmartenson wrote:

And I'd like to observe how the largest non-cash economy of which I am aware functions.  What's the true value of various goods and services?  Do they vary across the camp?  How are they set?

It's not really like an alternative currency, its a gifting economy so there is really no valuing of goods and services.  Think of it more like you invite someone over to you house and feed them, do you try to value what you gave them?  Do they?  While on some longer term level you would probably not invite people back that never reciprocated or were not gracious.  Since Burning Man is only 1 week, you only get the initial "gift" and none of the longer term evaluation of the value of the relationship.  It's interesting, but not sustainable since over a longer term you would definitely be weeding out those that don't contribute or it would progress to a "barter" type scenario.

It's fun and a break from the "default world".  For a week I don't think about money, the economy, energy, work, phones, etc.  It's a time to be awed and have a great time.  There are very few places you can really get away from normal life.

Plan now to go next year!

Dick's picture
Dick
cmartenson wrote: I would
cmartenson wrote:

Well, you've got to go! The Ten principles may be a little 'touchy feely' to a hard science type but are worth pondering. Decommodification is taken seriously, you won't see any corporate logos [except on the cars and trucks] - that alone is enough to make the place surreal - imagine a week without a Golden Arch or no corner without the sign of the double cross [Exxon]. A gift is a gift; there is no quid pro quo. It's the thought that counts, trite as that may sound. The concept of 'value' vanishes. An analogy may be some cultures where status is accrued by the size of your gift - except Burning Man doesn't dwell on size or value.

Radical self-reliance explains a lot of the magic - everyone brings the basics for the week and some bring luxuries. So with the basics of food, water, shelter and shade at your home camp the gifts you provide or experience are gravy, There are some obviously extravagant expenditures in the art and architecture and most are not subsidized in any way by the organization [Burning Man LLC]. Many 'bars' obviously put a lot of real money into their libations just for the joy of gifting and it is obvious that many projects took many hours and many people to complete. In addition to booze there is no problem finding coffee, tea, pancakes or bacon in the morning [at different camps]. Smoothies and fruit during the day if you're not in the mood for a drink. Many healers, so you have massage, therapy, shampoos, south of the navel hair care, yoga classes, and classes and lectures of all sorts. Rabbit's camp is famous for the Human Carcass Wash which should be a model for FEMA - absolutely the most efficient use of water for washing. I used that even when I had the DPW shower facilities available. Last year one of my favorite gifts was about half a block down the road - a professional joke writer sat in a chair by the road with a sign and told you the joke of the day and if you'd heard that one he would think a bit and give you another - maybe manning the chair only a few hours but he had a following. I used to camp with folks that had 'Wine, Brie and Bach' where you had a soft shady spot with quiet music, conversation, wine and cheese. Oh, that was the 'Elders' so we did have a number of youngsters who actually stopped and asked for advice!

Radical inclusion [acceptance/tolerance/etc.] is also very important. Very little judgment and you accept whatever you encounter; you listen and learn. Or to put it another way; anyone can put up with anything for a week. I've never seen violence unless it was someone on a very bad 'trip' and that's rare [twice in 9 years] contrary to what you may have heard.

Like everyone says, 'I can't explain it you have to go.' And if you love Halloween you'll like it. And then they burn it down and leave no trace.

Dick's picture
Dick
Time for 2015 Burning Man

You need to fill out your profile and 'pre-register by tomorrow [2/14]. I'm going to try this year. The profile creation and ticket pre-register is simple: https://profiles.burningman.com/. This will get you a code to use on Wed[?]. The actual ticket window is open for just minutes.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments