Learn a skill, meet someone new. Sunday August 17: Chicken killin' time!

Locavorous
By Locavorous on Thu, Aug 14, 2014 - 6:50pm

Folks,

This Sunday August 17th around 8-9am, we're processing pastured meat birds in Duvall WA. We're only doing 15 birds, so it will happen fast.

If you come, you will be able to learn this particular person's pastured poultry process from field to freezer.

We reserve the right to cap the attendence, as this is a small homestead.

You may see pens in action, talk about proper grain rations depending on type of pasture, growth rates and feed conversion ratios. You may bleed, scald, pluck and gut a chicken. You may meet someone you like talking about poultry with.

If you're interested, please let me know.

If you think its a good idea, chime in!

If you want to know more about how to turn grass into chicken, let me know!

Doug

3 Comments

Locavorous's picture
Locavorous
The Whizbang Tub Plucker plucked many a feather...

And a good time was had by all. Well, by both humans anyway, and none of the chickens.

If you're a homesteader, or a wannabe farmer no matter how 'gentlemanly', I can't imagine a reason folks wouldn't want to learn to butcher a chicken. These kinds of 'help your neighbor' events are one of the best ways to do that. And if you already know how, then please consider helping others to see that this kind of homestead task is one where 'many hands make light work'.

And you would've met another wannabe farmerette, learned how to catch a chicken who doesn't want to be caught, what to do with all the blood chickens contain after you let it out, what parts of the bird are still usable as food though you won't see them in your neighborhood markets, exactly how hot and how long to scald a bird so the feather come off easily but the skin is not parboiled, how to chill a bird properly and how to bag 'em up for storage or resale, or my favorite: how to butcher a bird with scissors, and why you'd choose those over a sharp knife.

See? I bet you would've learned something.

Have fun at your next tea/tee time!

Locavorous's picture
Locavorous
Anybody actually raise their own meat in WW?

Just wondering...

darcieg76's picture
darcieg76
Not I. I try to buy what I

Not I. I try to buy what I can from Skagit River Ranch at the farmers market. I live in a rented place on a pretty small lot, so the most I could do would be chickens...and we haven't gotten that far. :-)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments