New to the site/group

Vilbas
By Vilbas on Thu, Aug 14, 2014 - 11:05am

Hello Everyone!  I have been a PeakProsperity follower for a while but just now officially enrolled.  I lived in Lubbock for the last 7 years but just moved to Dallas this summer.  My mind has been wanting to make major changes for quite a while but as you all know, life inertia has a way of keeping you stuck in the status quo.  My enrollment and joining of the group is hopefully some first steps towards a new lifestyle.  This was the closest group to the Dallas area and I really hope to connect with a community of like-minded people.  I have a lot of reading and catching up to do, but I'm looking forward to the process of disengaging from the status quo and preparing for a simpler more responsible way of life!

2 Comments

larrythelogger's picture
larrythelogger
Trace of Texas

Hi Vilbas,

We're in Plano, just sold the house and are taking the equity and some of my wife's 401k's and looking for a place up north near Paris, east near Palestine or way up north near Hugo, OK.  Hopefully we can find around five acres on which to build a metal kit house (a company makes them here in Texas), grow some vegetables, raise some animals and eat 'em.  The land taxes in Texas are ridiculously high in some counties, especially Collin.  The ag conversion to residential for land in several counties means up to five years retroactive with an initial tax hit plus the year it changes.  Some people have been hit with 35K to 40K  tax bills just for building a 200K house on former ag property.  Be careful and do research the county tax office on piece of rural land you buy.  Oklahoma is much better building on rural land in terms of property taxes.

Juli B's picture
Juli B
Welcome to Texas

Hello Vilbas,

Welcome to Texas, I think we are a good group, just spread out a lot!

I am in the Hill Country west of Austin. Bought a little place at the edge of town last November--native Texan but just moved back "fer good" to be closer to family during all these 'exciting' times.

Spent a lot of the spring putting in raised garden beds with drip irrigation...only way we are allowed to easily water here for veggies and herbs during Stage Three water restrictions (local town), which will likely be permanent. in these parts, water and moisture are abiding concerns.

Starting to work on energy efficiency of the house next and through the (hopefully) cooler spells coming.

Take care and good luck!

juli

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments