Some ideas about saving water for CA

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Fri, Aug 1, 2014 - 7:46pm

Because water-savings are good for all gardeners.

3 Comments

Tall's picture
Tall
Great ideas! But cost may be prohibitive for much of the plan

We are in big trouble with our drinking water and waste water infrastructure throughout the country. We cannot currently afford to replace leaking drinking water distribution systems let along build a parallel system to convey grey water.

The recent UCLA water main break was an example of the basic countrywide distribution system deficiency.

LA has a more recent system than SF. SF has a more recent system than Boston.

In this article, SF bemoans the reality of the situation: "About a hundred miles that (distribution pipe) of that we have on our critical replacement list," says spokeswoman Figueroa. Until now all the utility could afford is to ten miles a year. "We want to quadruple that rate so that we can catch up," says Figueroa."

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/ucla-water-main-break-causes-concern...

Trun87114's picture
Trun87114
Costly?

You're right that it may be costly and further, CA has no money.  I'm sure that argument will be promoted and may win the day.  But IMO not adopting such practices will be much more expensive in the long run.

Tall's picture
Tall
Absolutely!
Trun87114 wrote:

You're right that it may be costly and further, CA has no money.  I'm sure that argument will be promoted and may win the day.  But IMO not adopting such practices will be much more expensive in the long run.

When I look around at sprawling suburbia covering up farmland, landfills containing recyclable, glass, metals and plastics, water infrastructure that uses potable water to flush toilets and water lawns, electric devices that constantly use low levels of power and housing stock that leaks heated and conditioned air to the atmosphere, I think: if only we had the foresight to envision the limits of our world and our resources, we would have developed our infrastructure to endure past the cheap oil era.

Looking at our current level of debt and the cost of oil, I wonder if we missed our opportunity for more 'sustainable' public works. Now it is up to individuals to do the best we can moving forward to make sure our homes and communities are more resilient.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments