Save on food

Tuckercat39
By Tuckercat39 on Thu, Jul 31, 2014 - 10:11am

I have switched to a German owned food store the is going nationwide.

The food quality is excellent, the time saved shopping is an added benefit.

We have saved 30% on our food budget. We even buy the cat food there as well.

Saving money is a great benefit when gasoline is increasing in cost, electric bill going up, nat gas bill going up.

7 Comments

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Do you mean Aldi?

Aldi is fantastic, price-wise. Not so good on carrying locally grown food, though

Trun87114's picture
Trun87114
Local sourcing?

Wendy, I'm not sure any of the big grocery chains are good about that, are they?  We grow more ourselves each year and frequent the local farmers market but are still at the mercy of the big chains for a big portion of our foods and I'm guessing much of it is transported a good distance to them. If you know of a chain or two that is better, please share. 

Trun87114's picture
Trun87114
Local sourcing?

Wendy, I'm not sure any of the big grocery chains are good about that, are they?  We grow more ourselves each year and frequent the local farmers market but are still at the mercy of the big chains for a big portion of our foods and I'm guessing much of it is transported a good distance to them. If you know of a chain or two that is better, please share. 

Wendy S. Delmater
it depends where you live

Here in South Carolina, there is a chain called Bi-Lo that has a very good selection of local produce. By local they mean SC, NC, GA and TN. They also carry locally sourced honey, and milk and dairy products. They seem to be going that way with their meats, too.

But except for the produce, which they heavily advertise as local. these are choices, not all that is offered.

Florida based Publix uses all FL grown veggies and the local fruit they can grow in that region.

And our local oddly-named supermarket chain, Piggly Wiggly, has the slogan 'Local Since Forever.'

What about in your region?

p.s. I think we may end up like old France: the pastry shop, the sausage maker, the butcher, the bread maker, and other specialty shops. People walked to their local markets once a day for fresh local food.

Or maybe like China? they have a fresh market and a dried-food market every few blocks, with booths.

Trun87114's picture
Trun87114
Local info

I'm on the other side of the country in western Nevada.  The big stores here are Raleys and Smiths(Krogers).  I'll have to look into specifics but fortunately I only live a few hours from California's Central Valley where the majority of American produce is grown.

Tuckercat39's picture
Tuckercat39
Grocery

Hi Wendy, Aldi's save me sooo much time and money it is amazing.

There are stocking some organic fruits and vegetables now too.

I used to be a grocery snob until I tried Aldi's and found the food quality and safety on par with the chains.

Plus the wine in incredibly good and a good price.

Really good Pesto too!

Wendy S. Delmater
Aldi? yes, but...

In an emergency Aldi has JIT (Just In Time) stock deliveries. In a disaster if not replenished their food will be gone in less than 3 days, if you cannot depend on them to truck it in from wherever.

Emergencies may include:

1. Currency crash
  2. Natural disaster (hurricane, flood, earthquake)
  3. EMP or Carrington Event (look them up)
  4. War or Civil disturbance
  5. Plague

In any of these instances, Aldi's shelves would soon be bare.

As for local food: Aldi--much as I love them--sells (for example) celery, table grapes, and lettuce from California. Chocolate from Europe and avocados from Mexico. The out-of-season asparagus is from Peru. If truck (or airplane) fuel gets too expensive those will ALL go up in price.

I'm trying to source as much of my food locally as possible. I love Aldi but try to only use them to stock my emergency pantry.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments