Summer gardens

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Thu, Jul 17, 2014 - 6:54pm

Use this thread to tell us what your garden is producing, and what you are planting - plus any problems or lessons learned.

I'll go first - we got our first tomatoes today. Green beans, jalapenos, green bell peppers, onions and wax beans are producing. Nice crop of basil and oregano. We are harvesting all the early cabbages this weekend and replacing them with daikon radishes and more green beans. Figs are about to come in, followed by grapes and pears. We are about to take off the soil solarization plastic and plant four raised beds with cucumbers on a trellis,  okra interplanted with carrots, and kale interplanted with lettuce, and Brussels sprouts. Still need to replace the thyme & lavender we lost this harsh winter. Asparagus ferns look pretty as a backdrop to a flower garden. (The asparagus survived my early attempts to plant it upside down, followed by my husband with a weed whacker.)

We still have to assemble the chicken coop, too, but have cleared a spot for it and have hens promised for free from a friend.

1 Comment

Yoxa's picture
Yoxa
Hardiness zone?

Please tell us what hardiness zone you're in. How long is your frost-free period?

At my end (the prairies of Canada), the garden news isn't nearly so cheerful. We've had near-total garden crop failure because of flooding, and even worse we've lost several fruit trees.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments