Virginia Is Now Paying Residents to Become Beekeepers

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Tue, Jul 1, 2014 - 11:16pm

Virginia is so concerned about the dire state of our pollinators that it is now offering grants to state residents to take up beekeeping:

The State of Virginia is now willing to pay for you to take up beekeeping.

The Virginia General Assembly created the Beehive Grant Fund to promote the establishment of new beehives.

Under the program, people can apply for a grant from the fund to cover the cost of purchasing a new hive or materials to construct a new hive.

The grant will pay for the actual expenses incurred up to $200 per hive, not exceeding $2,400 per person, per year.

You can find out more about the grant by clicking here.

Norfolk Beekeepers Association President Frank Walker thinks the new grant will encourage more people to keep beehives.

“The goal is to try and encourage more people to buy beekeeping equipment and get involved in bee keeping because it’s vital – the honey bee is one of our greatest natural resources,” Walker explained.

Read the full article here.

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Beekeeping Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of bee enthusiasts share information, insights and knowledgable daily discussion to help each other support and nuture the pollinators our food supply is so dependent on. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

6 Comments

Time2help's picture
Time2help
That's...

...awesome!  Going to do Mason bees here next season (assuming we still have a viable biosphere).  And they get a big flower patch to work from (at no extra charge).

drbost's picture
drbost
Grants for beekeeping

Amazing! For a governmental entity to create this grant program is to take an important step forward toward pollinator resilience. Although the contributions of large commercial bee keepers are significant, many small widely-dispersed beekeeping operations are less vulnerable to unintended effects of agro-chemistry and therefore make a stronger contribution to pollinator resilience.

Perhaps more state governments will follow Virginia's example.

Thetallestmanonearth's picture
Thetallestmanonearth
max it out!

If I were in Virginia I would max out the $2400 grant tomorrow and get started selling honey, propolis, royal jelly and wax.  Your startup costs are almost completely covered.  A lot of extension services offer free or very inexpensive classes on keeping bees and there are bee clubs in most counties with a tons of free support available to newbies.  What a great opportunity to build resilience and links to your community!

I would love to see a program like this launched in my state (Washington) or even nation wide.  Who says the governments can't do anything useful?  They've been subsidizing the companies that cause harm to pollinators for long enough, why not throw a few dollars at a counter-measure to protect our food chain?

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Noticing few honeybees in Central NY

I don't know about anyone else, but I have not seen anywhere near the number of honeybees out in rural NY state compared to past years.  I've seen plenty of bumblebees in the flowers, and a few smallish bees that look like honeybees (not sure if they are).  But I can't even really remember seeing any typical honeybees this spring and summer.  That's unusual around here, in the countryside, where there are fields and wild flowers galore.  I admit, I spend a lot of time indoors (unfortunately!).  But I actually look for honeybees when I am out checking my garden and such, so if they are about, you'd think I'd see them.

I've also seen very few butterflies again this year, like last year.

I love the idea that the Gov't would promote individuals to take up bee-keeping; I wish NYS would follow suit!

groejonathan's picture
groejonathan
pinecarr, there is definitely

pinecarr, there is definitely a reduced number of bees here in Illinois. Only now are we really starting to see them every time we go outside. Last year I could hardly walk around outside with jumping from their loud buzzing (I'm a bit nervous around them).  I think the cold winter took a toll along with all the other problems they are facing. Been keeping the lawn a bit taller letting the clover flower, yet I still only see less than half a dozen when I'm outside...

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
That's interesting, groejonath

...to read about you're honeybee observations in Illinois as well!  I hadn't thought about how our super-cold and long winter may have contributed to a reduction in their numbers. 

I may check to see if I can find more info on "official"/scientific observations re the number/decline of honeybees around here...it seems pretty dramatic to me, but I realize I'm only one observer. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments