USA's no-fly list is unconstitutional, says federal judge in landmark ruling

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Wed, Jun 25, 2014 - 1:12pm

USA's no-fly list is unconstitutional, says federal judge in landmark ruling

A federal judge ruled today that the US deprived 13 people on its no-fly list of a constitutional right to travel, and provided no effective way to challenge being on the list. Her decision is the first ruling in the country to find the no-fly list redress procedures unconstitutional.

Considering the list of things that call sustainability-concerned people with, say, more than a couple of week's worth of food "Terrorists" this s a good ruling.

3 Comments

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
more from AP

MOre from the Associate Press on the subject can be found, here.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/judge-no-fly-list-violated-constitutional-rights

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
ICReach: NSA's data made available to other gov't agencies

Meet ICREACH: The NSA's Own Secret "Google"

The National Security Agency is secretly providing data to nearly two dozen U.S. government agencies with a “Google-like” search engine built to share more than 850 billion records. ... The .... details about the method and scope of its sharing have remained shrouded in secrecy.

ICREACH has been accessible to more than 23 U.S. government agencies that perform intelligence work, according to a 2010 memo. A planning document from 2007 lists the DEA, FBI, Central Intelligence Agency, and the Defense Intelligence Agency as core members.

Information shared through ICREACH can be used to:

• track people’s movements,
  • map out their networks of associates,
  • help predict future actions, and
  • potentially reveal religious affiliations or
  • political beliefs.

[It] provide[s] analysts with the ability to perform a one-stop search of information from a wide variety of separate databases.

But, evidence obtained from NSA gathered data is not admissible in court.  So a new practice has evolved called "parallel construction."  With this technique, information on a person is obtained from the NSA first, then LE back engineers a plausible (and legal) path of discovery so that the illegal data does not have to be presented in court.

Parallel construction involves law enforcement agents using information gleaned from covert surveillance, but later covering up their use of that data by creating a new evidence trail that excludes it. This hides the true origin of the investigation from defense lawyers and, on occasion, prosecutors and judges—which means the legality of the evidence that triggered the investigation cannot be challenged in court.

In practice, this could mean that a DEA agent identifies an individual he believes is involved in drug trafficking in the United States on the basis of information stored on ICREACH. The agent begins an investigation but pretends, in his records of the investigation, that the original tip did not come from the secret trove. Last year, Reuters first reported details of parallel construction based on NSA data, linking the practice to a unit known as the Special Operations Division, which Reuters said distributes tips from NSA intercepts and a DEA database known as DICE.

Tampa attorney James Felman, chair of the American Bar Association’s criminal justice section, told The Intercept that parallel construction is a “tremendously problematic” tactic because law enforcement agencies “must be honest with courts about where they are getting their information.” 

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Brzenzinsk on state surveillance

The technological era involves the gradual transition to a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain uptodate and complete files containing even the most personal information about each and every one in the population’.

~Zbigniew Brzezinski, The Grand Chessboard

--------------

By Catherine Austin Fitts (posted about Feb 7, 2015)

This week on The Solari Report, I am speaking with Dr. Nafeez Ahmed.

For many years I have found myself out of alignment with a remarkable number of financially sophisticated people who I like and respect. They say the global financial system is going to collapse. I say, no, it will slow burn. When we flush out the differences in our assumptions, I find that one of the driving variables is my assessment of how information technology is used to manage everything from popular opinion to consumer and financial markets. In short – invisible surveillance is far more invasive and powerful – by person, family and community – than even the most intelligence and knowledgeable among us understand.

Thanks to a series of investigative reporters and whistleblowers, the popular consciousness about information technology has begun to change. However, there is an enormous opportunity for investigative reporting to help us understand the evolution of the public-private partnership that runs the new info-control state and how we navigate our lives as it attempts to harvest and manipulate us.

So I was delighted to learn that Nafeez Ahmed had launched Insurge Intelligence and published an outstanding new series exploring the history of Google.

How the CIA made Google (Part 1)
Why Google made the NSA (Part 2)
When Google met the Pentagon….

This Thursday, Nafeez joins me from London to tell us more about the “soft face” of a global empire. Your choice of search engines and e-mail providers may never be the same. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments