Now it can be told...

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Sat, Jun 21, 2014 - 7:15pm

Dear Friends:

It looks like I just solved a major health problem that was keeping me from exercising or being as active as I'd like.

For the past three years I have had no energy, and recently I've been having increasingly bad dizzy spells. It's a good thing I was solarizing many of the raised beds - I could barely water the garden. Two months ago I was diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia: the chamber of my heart that sends oxygenated blood to my body was skipping or adding beats. This led to a massive risk of heart attack, causing me to go on blood thinners and such.

On Wednesday last, under controlled conditions, they shocked my heart (twice!) and restarted it. The beat is now strong and regular.  I cannot TELL you how much more energy I have! I should be off the blood thinners cleared to start exercising next week.

So it looks like you're stuck with me for a while longer :-)  I hope to be back to my hyperactive self really soon.

Wendy

11 Comments

dude59's picture
dude59
Congratulations on your diagnosis and recovery

I think many of us here are getting older and ofttimes slower. For most us us we can see no developments that will change that trajectory. I am heartened to hear of your recovery, and wish you the best in the future.

AKGrannyWGrit's picture
AKGrannyWGrit
More To Contribute

Wendy, we are glad you didn't just chalk your fatigue up to aging but rather were proactive and looked for a solution to your challenge. You have much to share and we are lucky to have your unique perspective. Congratulations and best wishes.

AK Granny

ferralhen's picture
ferralhen
wendy, i always thought it

wendy,

i always thought it sounded like you have been quite active, at least you get a lot done. i can hear your joy in your restored energy levels. the medical field is changing, and i'm thankful for the health care that we can currently have available. that said, i am finding it necessary to really be proactive in my care, and i encourage all to"prep" up with some sort of medical knowledge of your own so intelligent decisions can be made.

beth

Don35's picture
Don35
Yeah!

Glad you are healing. Your contributions always hold my interest. Thank you Wendy! 

SimonR4's picture
SimonR4
Glad to Hear the Good News

Wendy,

I am so happy to hear you were able to cardiovert to a normal rhythm.

We rely on you as a source of knowledge and a great moderator of our forums.  It seems that if you do not know something, you are able to research the question and direct us to relevant sources.

We love you and look forward to your continued good health.

Simon

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Such good news!

Wendy -

I shudder to imagine PP without you, Wendy. What a relief it is to hear you're feeling better, and to know your health is improving!!

HughK's picture
HughK
Congrats on your restart

Dear Wendy,

Thanks for sharing your news.  I concur with the other comments regarding your contributions to Peak Prosperity.  I really admire your practical approach to resilience as well as your specific knowledge.  I hope that when (or if) I am in a position to cultivate some land that I can make good use of your experience.

Your renewed health is also good for the science fiction community.  For those that don't know, Wendy is the editor of Apex & Abyss, a magazine of speculative fiction.  

For me, near-future science fiction (or speculative fiction) is an important part of the reason that I became interested in limits to growth concepts that eventually led me to change a lot of my thinking about the mainstream narrative vs. what actually seems to be happening.  Without that imaginative spark, I may not have become as engaged in taking an alternative path as I have.

Wishing you a temperate summer and bountiful harvests in South Carolina,

Hugh

jtwalsh's picture
jtwalsh
Congradulations!!!

Having an adult daughter who was born with a heart condition, I can attest to the fact that even with all the amazing advances in cardiac medicine it is sometimes frustratingly difficult for the doctors to determine what is happening and how to treat a condition.

I am happy you and your doctors were able to determine your problem and were able to treat it successfully.

Wonderful news, thank you for all you contribute here.

JT

Tall's picture
Tall
Thankful too

Great news Wendy, I am glad to hear the cardioversion worked for you!

Best wishes for continued good health.

Tall

Bankers Slave's picture
Bankers Slave
Well done Wendy

I do not respond to much of your input, but I do read it, as I find your information inspiring. You are a true battler. 

The best of future health and happiness to you, and to every quality contributor to this wonderful PP creation.

Thetallestmanonearth's picture
Thetallestmanonearth
Cayenne pepper

Hi Wendy,

I have had a couple of instances of severe atrial fibrillation when my heart looses it's rhythm.  Both times I have been transported to the ER and sedated so that they could defibrillate me.  It's a scary process, but I also remember a sense of renewal (as much spiritual as physical). 

For me it was during my early 20's in a time when my prospects didn't look so good due to the down-turn circa 2008.  I was drinking more than I should and was generally pretty despondent.  I hadn't yet connected the dots as to why I couldn't find work, I just knew the situation was miserable and for lack of a better plan took it out on my liver and apparently my heart.  After a night of binge drinking I work up A-fib with my heart beating out of my chest and hardly enough strength to get out of bed, a condition I later learned is sometimes called "party-heart" by ER staff.  It turns out I am genetically predisposed to problems, but at my age taking poor care of myself and over-drinking were the sole causes. I have completely changed my lifestyle since then in the hope of avoiding problems down the road.

The first time as I was being sedated at the ER I remember thinking "if this is it, that's ok".  When I woke up a few minutes later with a bit more strength I had a renewed perspective and decided regardless of the odds I wanted to do something worthwhile with my life.  It took me a couple of years and a lot more mistakes along the way, but I feel like I'm getting there.

Obviously our stories are very different - mine being foolishly self-imposed and yours being unfortunate circumstance - but I suspect that you probably have a similar feeling of renewal and a second chance.  Use that for all it's worth! 

Also, on a practical note, I have since learned that cayenne pepper is good for regulating the heart and most days I make a cold tea with a teaspoon or so in a tall glass of water.  If you enjoy spice, it might be worth a try.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments