More Mileage From the PBS Newshour Segment

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Mon, Jun 2, 2014 - 11:28am

The PBS Newshour feature on Chris and Peak Prosperity received a second wind recently from Paul Solman's team at "Making $ense" (Solman is the one interviewing Chris in this video):

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/why-the-fed-has-made-our-eventu...

They've just released new footage from the video shoot they did with Chris last year. In it, Chris delves into how exponential forces have put our resources and our economic system on a collision course:

The original segment has brought both pleasingly positive attention as well as welcome new readers to PeakProsperity.com. If you hadn't seen it when it originally aired, definitely take the 8 minutes to watch it now:

It's also very 'sharing-friendly', and many PP.com readers have used it effectively to introduce friends and family to the Crash Course message. Sometimes, when hearing it from a nationally-recognized brand like PBS, it's easier for folks to receive it.

If you know of anyone who would benefit from watching either of these videos, please forward them these URLs:

• new clip: http://youtu.be/wPTDYD3K-Ks
  • original interview: http://youtu.be/3KmwAmTXnkY

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Economy Wonks Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of economic enthusiasts share news and engage in debate regarding all things economic. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

11 Comments

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Very interesting!

Wow!  So interesting that PBS had time to digest their first taste of the 3Es, and are coming back for another!  I think maybe the general public is becoming more and more aware that "something is not right", and with no satisfying answers in the mainstream media, are coming back to Chris (and others in the alternative media) who offer more substantive reasoning for another look.  Good for them!

herewego's picture
herewego
I can't wait!

Chris, your gift for communication of complex, disturbing and critically impactful information is a joy to behold.  So thoroughly informed, so level, so understated, so thought-provoking.  I can't wait to see what you and yours have been up to with the new Crash Course.  When??????

Cheers

Susan

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Me either
herewego wrote:

Chris, your gift for communication of complex, disturbing and critically impactful information is a joy to behold.  So thoroughly informed, so level, so understated, so thought-provoking.  I can't wait to see what you and yours have been up to with the new Crash Course.  When??????

Same question here, any update on the timeline?  Thanks

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
July or sooner

We just finished producing the final chapter of the new Crash Course series last week (phew!).

Now we have some remaining polishing to complete, as well as get the go-to-market plan finalized. But it's looking like we're talking about 3-4 weeks or less.

We'll start by releasing the <1hour "Accerlated" Crash Course video. That will be our primary asset for sharing with folks new to the Three Es.

Following that, we'll start releasing the full series, 1 chapter per week. Since there's now 25 chapters in total, that should pretty much take us through the end of 2014.

It's good to hear folks are excited to see it, as after 8 months of development, we can't wait to get it into the wild! smiley

Wildlife Tracker's picture
Wildlife Tracker
:/

As an "enthusiastic follower" of this "doomsayer" online community, I'm not sure how effective this last video really is. One too many cartoons, and not enough math ;) 

There was no connection created between the experiences of your typical PBS viewer and your "theories" of unsustainability. If I didn't have my background, I might have been confused or turned off by this. I'm not sure.

That being said, thanks for the tour of the property!

jtwalsh's picture
jtwalsh
Mathphobic,

Wildlife Tracker:  I understand your comment and accept it to a point.  For me, being a life long math-phobic person, Chris' ability to explain mathematical concepts in words, without the numbers, charts and graphs is a wonderful thing. What turns me off are pages of indecipherable (to me) math and charts.  I look at them and mego (my eyes glaze over).  Hearing the same concepts interpreted into understandable language is a total gift.  It's like a blind person suddenly being able to see, or like a deaf person receiving one of those implants that let's them hear.  I suspect I am not the only person who feels this way.

JT

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
Wildlife Tracker wrote:As an
Wildlife Tracker wrote:

As an "enthusiastic follower" of this "doomsayer" online community, I'm not sure how effective this last video really is. One too many cartoons, and not enough math ;) 

There was no connection created between the experiences of your typical PBS viewer and your "theories" of unsustainability. If I didn't have my background, I might have been confused or turned off by this. I'm not sure.

That being said, thanks for the tour of the property!

I'd use the word "realitysayer" instead.  Terms like "doomsayer" have been used for centuries to attack the messenger when the message is so obvious that it can't be attacked directly.  If the messenger is a nut or kook, then you don't have to consider the message, regardless of content.  Look at the word Malthusian.  Talk about an instance of permanently damning the messenger and ignoring a vital message.

The thing I can't fully understand is the confusion.  When I was going to business school and learning about typical corporate expectations of growing 3% to 5% every year, my first thought was that this is impossible.  Nothing can grow forever.  I didn't understand the exponential function then, it was just intuitive.  I don't understand why everyone doesn't get it immediately.

I applied the same intuition to population control and adopted a Zero Population Growth position in the early 1970s, having no more than two children.  Even with more than 7 billion people on the planet, others still don't get that.

Clearly, I missed some things.  For example, I was told in school, in the early 1960s, that we had 250 years of "oil reserves," so I put that concern aside for way too long and joyfully consumed cheap energy.

In some cases a simple message is better.  If it's new material for someone, throwing up even one chart or adding complexity may make people switch channels to a game show.  I thought the ending was abrupt, however.  I'm hoping PBS directed people to a source like Peak Prosperity after the video was done. 

rayne's picture
rayne
not sure

I'm not sure what message the PBS bit was trying to convey.  The interviewer was quite smug and a little condescending (as he usually is).  I'm glad that a longer take of Chris' interview aired later.  I sincerely hope that the PBS-viewing crowd opens their minds to the Crash Course but I am skeptical.  I am from a very left, liberal family and since I learned about the Crash Course (and tried to send it to my baby-boomer parents) I have found that most of my friends and family think I'm crazy.  My mom said "Oh, this is another one of these 'the sky is falling' guys."  The fact that I stopped listening to NPR baffles their minds.

I don't know, I just think that the right is a lot more open to these ideas than the left.

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
rayne wrote: I don't know, I
rayne wrote:

I don't know, I just think that the right is a lot more open to these ideas than the left.

Not from my experience.  Most of the people I have interacted with are conservative.  I think the Idea is just too scary, at first, for most to want to consider.

I think people who have some form of gut feel that things are amiss, are the only ones who can accept the Crash Course.

shastatodd's picture
shastatodd
npr/pbs

i gave up on them years ago - even though back in the 2000 > 2004 era i was chief engineer for our "local" affiliate and a huge fan.

as i started seeing what is going on in the world post 2005 oil peak i saw the man behind the curtain cheerleading growth and the (impossible) continuation of business as usual.

yes, folks - the sky IS falling... and it appears that disinformation is the job of the status quo... sadly that includes so called independent/public (corporate) radio... sigh

Jbarney's picture
Jbarney
Mainstream

Hi,

I find the recent press that Chris and the Crash Course have been getting is great.  I know in the past he spoke to RT News a lot, and he has presented at various "like minded" groups/organizations. Recent appearances on Fox Business and now PBS are indications that his message is going mainstream....even a little. 

I am curious when the actual interview happened.  Seems like last fall.  I don't have peppers that big in my garden! (Yet)

The discussion here about trying to get people to become more aware is good.  After watching the Crash Course the first time I went through a period of frustration, trying to get people to tune in. People have to be in the right place, otherwise they just don't listen. It is unfortunate.

Peace,

JB

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments