How badly were your neighbors hit with heating bills?

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Mon, May 19, 2014 - 7:06am

Our cat enjoying our woodstove

How many people in the USA will be impoverished to the point of doing without (or foreclosure) by this just-passed winter’s heating bills? We shudder to think. It was so hard, even though we heat with wood. We thought we had a safety margin of extra wood but we had to scavenge twice for more fuel, and we were reduced to burning pine half the time. We are so very pleased that our ultra-efficient wood stove can handle pine with very little more creosote, but less-than-seasoned wood was hard to work with.

Heating and a/c bills are about to bankrupt friends & neighbors. Examples:

Because part of the winter caused them to use electric space heaters, our stepdaughter and best friends were especially hard hit. It was so frustrating: talk about no one listening to your warnings! Our best friends never asked for help when their heat pump broke (hubby could have fixed it), and they refused to look at the 55-gallon drum stove inset for their fireplace we kept suggesting - ungainly, but they could afford it.They had to rely on electric space heaters for three weeks and are paying off a $563 electric bill for the month of February alone!

My stepdaughter bought a cinderblock house with inadequate insulation, yet would not even consider the kerosene heater I forcefully suggested (I knew what an electric bill she’d rack up during a NORMAL winter). She finally listened to us about the kero heater but it’s too late for this year’s bill, which was $350 a month.

How did your friends, relatives and neighbors  handle the expense of the cold winter?

3 Comments

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
Had to split more wood

I watched as our wood supply dwindled due to the early cold temps.  We had negative temps starting during November.  Soooo we burnt more wood to the point when January came around I decided I had to get ahead of that curve.  I started cutting and splitting more wood whenever the weather was nice, which was whenever the Sun was shining.  It was a wise thing to do as the Winter seemed awfully long.  We are still using wood to heat the house in the middle of May from time to time.  

Compared to our neighbors we were lucky.  We tend to order truck loads of logs that we then cut and split during Summer for our Winter use.  One truck load of logs equals about 5 full cords of wood, but your mileage may vary.  Most suppliers don't provide a full load of solid logs as some logs are hollow from rot of one form or another.  Still, we had the logs when the weather had us using more than we had originally planned to use.  The previous two years we had anywhere from one to two face cords left once Winter was over.  Our neighbors on the other hand had to buy split green firewood during the season at very high rates.  Almost everyone had excessive electric, fuel oil, or propane bills.  I think it safe to say that covers the entire Northeast.

For the first time in a decade I lost weight because of all the additional exercise outside cutting, splitting and stacking firewood.  So I guess you could say that there was some benefit from all those cold days...

Cheers!

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Report: Fierce Winter Increased Americans’ Power Bills By $14 Bi

Report: Fierce Winter Increased Americans’ Power Bills By $14 Billion

This past harsh winter did more damage than just shutting down businesses and freezing roads. A recent government report found that consumers’ power bills were increased by $14 billion over last winter, as households turned up the heat to ride out the storms.

The Energy Information Administration found that long bouts of unexpected cold weather east of the Rocky Mountains led consumers to spend billions more this winter heating their homes, spending 27 percent more on heating oil and propane to warm their homes....

EIA predicts that enough coal-fired power is currently slated for retirement to power 33 million homes. This means power prices could be permanently raised as coal-fired power is shut down. Without enough pipeline capacity to deliver natural gas to areas that needed it most, prices jumped. This was exacerbated by the fact that many power plants were forced to shut down in the freezing weather. Some areas of the country last winter saw power prices increase 1,000 percent.

tjwilhelm's picture
tjwilhelm
More Spam^^^

Can we please get rid of this (these) person(s) who are posting garbage SPAM on this member-paid forum?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments