Live Near Houston? Join This Group!

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Mon, Apr 28, 2014 - 12:31pm

Several Texans have approached me lately about wanting to get a vibrant group starting for the Houston area.

They've been impressed at the active participation, idea exchange and project-based collaboration that's been happening in the group I started in my local area -- but it's one thing to build such a group in northern California where many folks already have an awareness and appreciation for the Three Es. If we can get a similar group up & running in Houston, TX -- the epicenter of the "Drill baby, drill!" mindset -- that's a much more impressive achievement.

If you live in driving distance to Houston and would like to meet up occasionally with like-minded folks for good discussion, for building community, and possibly for helping each other on a project basis (garden planting, animal raising, food storing, etc) for increasing each other's resilience, then join this group!

Simply

1. return to the main page for this group by clicking here
  2. then click the big blue "Join Today" button

If enough folks join, an introductory meet-up will be scheduled for some over the next few weeks.

And if you have any particular goals you'd like this new group to consider, feel free to mention them in the Comments section below.

cheers,

Adam

7 Comments

Thetallestmanonearth's picture
Thetallestmanonearth
Seattle

I would be interested in something similar for the Seattle area.  I live about an hour north.  Anyone else?

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Seattle
Thetallestmanonearth wrote:

I would be interested in something similar for the Seattle area.  I live about an hour north.  Anyone else?

One option - join the Western Washington State group (there are 40+ members there now), and then setup a meet-and-greet through the group.  Actually, if anyone from the WWS group would like to organize a meet I'll be glad to support that effort.

I would do it myself as I'd love to get to meet some of you in person, but I am too busy to take on an organizational role at this time.

CleanEnergyFan's picture
CleanEnergyFan
Thanks Adam...What a great time at Rowe!

Thanks for getting this message sent out Adam.  My wife & I are very interested in connecting with other Houston/Sugar Land area P.P. members who would like to get together to bring more sustainability into our area and to spread the 3E message.  The Rowe seminar was an excellent opportunity to reconnect with some of the P.P. community and I would hope to someday have a similar event in our area but we need to develop a core member base first similar to what already exists in the MA/VT/CT area now. Look forward to meeting our neighbors who share a belief in life after oil.

Jim H's picture
Jim H
CleanEnergy said,

Look forward to meeting our neighbors who share a belief in life after oil.

Are you even allowed to say that in Texas? 

LOL....  your friend, Jim H. 

CleanEnergyFan's picture
CleanEnergyFan
You Are Ahead Jim

Thanks Jim, I see you already have a blog out to get the NYC group together...nice going.  I am not sure what P.P. members already exist in the Houston/Sugar Land area but hope to connect up with them soon.  You would be surprised at the number of Houston folks who are anxious to get away from oil dependence.  Our previous Mayor (Bill White) was pushing hard for Houston to be a Clean Energy capital as well as a traditional fossil fuel leader.  We have alot of the skill sets in this area to help make that happen.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
C'mon, Houstonians!

Only 2 Texans have joined so far??

I know from our traffic logs that Texas is the #2 state on Peak Prosperity in terms of audience volume, so there are plenty of you reading this.

I thought Texans were a bold, brash group; ready to rise to the challenge and to support one another - not a bunch of shrinking violets. Show us that Texas pride - cowboy up and join this group!! wink

CleanEnergyFan's picture
CleanEnergyFan
Want to Meet up at the OTC Conference?

As locals know, Houston has the upcoming Offshore Technology Conference this May 5-8 which is the world’s largest oil exploration conference.  I plan to attend part of this (even though I am not in the oil business but interested in learning more about where we are in the peak oil story) and would be happy to meet up with any Houston area P.P members who might be attending.  Our region has benefited greatly from the high cost and importance of oil & gas which has provided excellent employment opportunities in Houston in the past but we also have an opportunity and responsibility to help develop the future alternative energy sources & energy efficiency.  Adam, I am wondering if our area has not yet heard the P.P. message yet (I have yet to meet a local who already knew the 3E story).  Would be good to find a core nucleus of Texans already exposed to this concept so we could band together to spread the word…but if they don’t currently exist then we will just have to get started with our neighborhood first.  Looks like NYC is likely to win the Gold Valarum (Jim H you are tough competition).  The surprising thing is that our Hurricane prone area gives us additional reasons for wanting to be resilient even we were unaware of the 3E urgency.  The Peak Oil theory was invented here by M. King Hubbert but its amazing the lack of discussion I hear about this topic in the Houston area.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments