Michael Ruppert dead

svgreengoddess
By svgreengoddess on Tue, Apr 15, 2014 - 7:04am

I just read that Michael Ruppert committed suicide following his radio show on Sunday night, posted on Carolyn Baker's FB page.  Very shocked and saddened by this news.  I had read recently that he was moving back to this area with his "soul mate" and dog Rags.  Anyone have anything to add?

Susan

21 Comments

HughK's picture
HughK
Thanks, Susan

Hi Susan and all,

Thanks for posting the news of the death of Michael Ruppert, the first person, I believe, to make the case that the CIA was involved in drug trafficking in the 1980s.  While Collapse, the documentary about him, is a bit unsettling, I also found it to be very interesting.  So far, it seems that there is not a lot of information about his death.  

I wonder if this post will be tagged in some government database now.  Hmmmmm....  

Hugh

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Oh my I'm shocked and it saddens me

I read "Crossing the Rubicon" and "Collapse".

He put  himself out on the line all his life to search for the truth and reveal all the corruption he uncovered to the public. How many times was he labeled  a conspiracy nut case?  It must have been a very stressful life and being alone makes it even more difficult.

He will be missed. Please keep adding any updates.

Thx Susan

NN

Doug's picture
Doug
drug running and the CIA

I don't know when Ruppert appeared on the scene, but I seriously doubt he was the first to make the case for the connections between drug runnning, the Contras and the CIA.  There is a long and colorful history of the CIA aiding and abetting drug runners, including transporting drugs aboard Air America flights, to further their nefarious plots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_CIA_drug_trafficking

Gary Webb of the San Jose Mercury News wrote about it in 1996, followed by William Blum, an independent journalist:

http://www.whale.to/b/blum.html

Doug

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Sad Tidings

What sad news to awaken to...

While he approached the coming future with a different mindset than we, Chris and I respected Mike's courage in speaking the truth as he saw it, as well as his efforts to awaken folks to many of the "Three E" trends. His work, the movie Collapse in particular, introduced an important number of people to the reality that the future will very likely not resemble the past.

Mike pulled no punches in his commentary and how he lived his life, despite the high cost to his health over the years.

I met Mike twice. The first time, Chris and I met with him at the Starlight Cafe during my first trip to Sebastopol. He had the air of a retired boxer; worn from a life of rough mileage -- but you could see he still had some fight left in him should he be called back to the ring.

The second time, he invited me to his house in Sebastopol for a party he was hosting. It was clear he was a warm soul and took genuine pleasure at bringing people together. And boy, did he love his dog, Rags. I recall him telling me about a relative (great-grandfather?) who ran a food-business in Washington DC that catered to past presidents, and then showing me silverware from the White House that had been passed down through his family for generations. I also remember him showing me his old service revolver...a memory darkened by today's news.

Since moving to Sebastopol, I've met many who knew Mike much better and have heard nothing but colorful stories about him. It's clear the world is a less interesting place with him no longer in it. I'm saddened at his passing, and wish him rest now that his fight is done.

HughK's picture
HughK
Doug wrote:I don't know when
Doug wrote:

I don't know when Ruppert appeared on the scene, but I seriously doubt he was the first to make the case for the connections between drug runnning, the Contras and the CIA.  There is a long and colorful history of the CIA aiding and abetting drug runners, including transporting drugs aboard Air America flights, to further their nefarious plots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_CIA_drug_trafficking

Gary Webb of the San Jose Mercury News wrote about it in 1996, followed by William Blum, an independent journalist:

http://www.whale.to/b/blum.html

Doug

Hey Doug and all,

According to Ruppert's own testimony, he was one of the people to try to raise awareness (or make allegations) regarding CIA drug trafficking as an LA police officer all the way back in the late 1970's.  I haven't researched it more than finding that testimony, which is from Ruppert's own website.  Here's a video link of Ruppert confronting CIA Director John Deutsch 1996.  

Cheers,

Hugh

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Just wondering.....

Considering those who were offended by his reportage.....was it suicide by nail gun?

HughK's picture
HughK
Question: From which direction does a fish rot?

If I am not mistaken, Chris has remarked a few times on the trickle-down effect of high-level malfeasance, maybe in his conversations with Bill Black(2012 , 2013),  and while he may have been talking about financial regulators, the case of the CIA, drugs, and Michael Ruppert seems to have some parallels.

As I read that testimony by Ruppert (bearing in mind the possibility that he could have just had psychological issues involving paranoia), I am impressed by the young patriotic law-and-order Republican police officer observing what he believed to be CIA drug trafficking and thereafter undergoing a radical transformation to what a mainstream journalist might label as a paranoid, anti-establishment conspiracy theorist, and what a more sympathetic person might see as simply a well-intentioned, honest but imperfect person who became disaffected with a system that he had every intention to serve loyally.  

Whenever the CIA (or anyone else) justifies questionable means with some desired end, there are all sorts of unintended consequences, including alienating good people.

Answer: From the head

Hugh

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Sad News About Michael C Ruppert

I am saddened by the news of MCR's passing.  We were in a mutual admiration society as we each respected the other's work, even as we took very different paths through it all.

I know that he was burdened by life, some of it physical and some of it emotional, but - man! - he carried a lot on his shoulders.  It's not easy cutting across the grain of popular delusions, a task he undertook with great vigor for many years.

And it's that great weight, which each of us has to also carry because, let's face it, you cannot truly know what is going on in the world without it settling about your heart, that his death speaks to.

Many a great warrior chooses to end life on their own terms, and that's what Michael seems to have done.

Godspeed on the next part of your journey Michael!

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Micheal Rupperts passing

I am also very saddened to hear of Michaels passing.  "Crossing the Rubicon" and "Collapse" were both very influential in my understanding of the dark underside of our power elite.  "Cutting through popular and comforting delusions" is a good way of describing his work.

His analysis shed light on the use of secret but-officially-protected drug trafficking to finance covert intelligence projects.

He was an idealist.  Discovering the dark side of the oligarchy is very hard on those with an awakened sense of empathy and a high moral belief about the way that those holding the reigns of social power should behave.  The harm that immoral political and economic power can inflict on others and the planet is immense and heart wrenching.

This beautiful picture of a high-mountain field of flowers is offered in memory of Michael and his life work.

KathyP's picture
KathyP
Mike Ruppert's Passing

I still have my copies of his newsletter, From the Wilderness.  He was so right about so many things.  (Not to mention his suggestion to start buying gold back when it was $250 an ounce).  I am deeply saddened. The anguish he suffered must have been dreadful.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Ruppert is gone

Just saw the news. You could definitely sense sadness in his soul in the Collapse documentary.

He will be missed. 

LeanneBaker's picture
LeanneBaker
A True Warrior

I am deeply affected by this news.  I first heard of Michael Ruppert watching "Collapse" on an Air Canada flight, many months after it was made.  His situation seemed so sad at the end of that movie, and I looked him up on Google after I returned home.  I was so pleased to see that he had moved to our area in the meantime, and I subscribed to CollapseNews.com to see what else he was saying, and to help support his efforts.  We met him at the Sebastopol Grange when he was there for Nicole Foss's presentation, and he was very gracious.  I hadn't realized that he left Northern California, but now I see that he spent time in my home state of Colorado before returning again to California. 

I just watched his "Apocalypse" You Tube and have been listening to his most recent podcasts on Lifeboat Radio.  It looks to me like the best information can be found on collapsenet.com in the comments section of the story on his suicide, as his business partner and friends are making sure that they obtain and disseminate the facts.   

A sad day. 

eurocasey's picture
eurocasey
wtf? wow? i don't believe he

wtf? wow? i don't believe he did it? really? i just listened to his radio program and he sounds sad (who isn't these days), but he was full of future.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
RT's Tribute

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Thanks Arthur

Nice Tribute.

I saw the Apocalypse Man  and listened to his last radio show last night .

He became spiritual because  he understood interdependency of all that surrounds us on an emotional level. He lived it. He could see it ,smell it, touch it , taste it ,hear it. The heavy heart.    A cerebral (rational) man has no understanding of this because he separates and isolates himself in order not to feel.

No wonder most  us are crying out of loneliness. We have lost contact with our deeper selves and what really counts in our lives.

May the angels take care of you Michael.

NN

TAMWO37101's picture
TAMWO37101
Thank you Arthur

For sharing RT Tribute to Michael Ruppert.  I cant remember which peak oil documentary off hand that I share this quote from Michael Ruppert, he was quoting as well I think from the movie Dune, but it was powerful and it gave me goosebumps.  It was a comforting phrase when pondering the scary uncertain changes coming our way. 

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

TAM

svgreengoddess's picture
svgreengoddess
public memorial

if anyone hears of any public memorial in our area, please post.  i'm still really shook up by this, even though i never got to meet him in person, it's really affected me deeply.  i'm appreciating all the comments here.

susan

nigel's picture
nigel
What is going to happen to

What is going to happen to his dog Rags? I'd volunteer to adopt him but I'm on a different continent.

This is the saddest news, in the coming years I think lots of us will miss his voice.

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
jneo's picture
jneo
Ruppert Interview

Great interview with Michael Ruppert.  Peter Joseph interviewing Mr. Ruppert  Enjoy. 

svgreengoddess's picture
svgreengoddess
i read that Rags is going to

i read that Rags is going to his partner, i forgot what her name is.  i'm sure Rags is going to miss him terribly. 

susan

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments