New Book: Get A Job, Builid a Real Career & Defy A Bewildering Economy

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Mon, Apr 14, 2014 - 11:05am

Charles Hugh Smith has just released a new book: Get A Job, Build A Real Career & Defy A Bewildering Economy.

For the next 48 hours (until Tuesday night), he is offering a special 20% discount on the Kindle version of the book to his regular readers (retail: $9.95, only $7.95 with discount). As he is a frequent contributor to PeakProsperity.com, he views us as part of that family.

I have yet to read the book (though I already have it on my Kindle!), but I've spoken at length with Charles as he's written it. We both have an avid interest in this topic, as we believe a core elements of resilience include cultivating income streams that you "own" and doing work that fulfills you intrinsically.

I can attest that Charles has poured a lot of his soul into this book and considers it his best work to date. I think it's a valuable asset for anyone even slightly concerned about their job/profession security related to the "Three E" trends. Even more, I think it's an invaluable book for upcoming high school and college graduates.

In Charles' own words:

Are you like me? 
Ever since my first summer job decades ago, I've been chasing financial security. Not win-the-lottery, Bill Gates riches (although it would be nice!), but simply a feeling of financial control. I want my financial worries to if not disappear at least be manageable and comprehensible.

And like most of you, the way I've moved toward my goal has always hinged not just on having a job but a career.

You don't have to be a financial blogger to know that "having a job" and "having a career" do not mean the same thing today as they did when I first started swinging a hammer for a paycheck.

Even the basic concept "getting a job" has changed so radically that jobs--getting and keeping them, and the perceived lack of them--is the number one financial topic among friends, family and for that matter, complete strangers.

So I sat down and wrote this book: Get a Job, Build a Real Career and Defy a Bewildering Economy.

It details everything I've verified about employment and the economy, and lays out an action plan to get you employed.

I am proud of this book. It is the culmination of both my practical work experiences and my financial analysis, and it is a useful, practical, and clarifying read.

Test-drive the first chapter and see for yourself.  

Click the button to take advantage of this discount:

Buy The Book

6 Comments

charleshughsmith's picture
charleshughsmith
a few comments from the author

It's always a bit awkward to describe one's own book without sounding like a carny hawking an elixir, but since you know me as someone who doesn't indulge in much self-promotion, I reckon you'll forgive my enthusiasm for the messages in my new book, which I would summarize as:

A. To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, we work in the economy we have, not the economy we might want or wish to have at a later time.  This economy is a mess, as we all know, and undergoing massive creative destruction of failing systems. Nonetheless, this is the economy we have to work with, and fortunately there are opportunities in the emerging economy, the one that's thriving as the marginal-returns parts decay and fail.

B. There are three sources of value creation. The higher the worker’s level on each sliding scale, the larger the premium his/her labor can generate:

1.       process-based/not process-based

2.       low-touch / high-touch

3.       experiential sensitivity, i.e. the sensitivity of output to mastery

Whatever can be commoditized/automated will be commoditized or automated, and so we have to focus on what cannot be automated, where labor still creates value and solves problems.

C. The entire notion that a college degree "signals" something valuable to employers is breaking down.  A degree accredits very little about the student's knowledge, problem-solving skills or professionalism. It's a proxy of knowledge, not evidence of knowledge or useful skills.

The signaling must be much richer in information density and more persuasive than a factory model diploma. That leads to--

D.  A new feedback loop of accreditation is necessary, and fortunately that feedback is within our individual control: it's a process I call accredit yourself. Anyone can accredit themselves. All it takes is effort and a willingness to network and learn.

That's the heart of the book.  Very few (if any) career guidance books discuss the context of work and employment--the economy and the nature of work and value creation. My book covers the economy, the changing nature of work and employment, and I think it makes a useful graduation present. If you buy the Kindle edition as a gift, you can select a delivery date that coincides with the recipient's graduation date.

Thank you for giving the book a look--
charles hugh smith
Yoxa's picture
Yoxa
Bought it!

I value and respect the thoughts you share on PP, and look forward to reading it. 

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Ditto what Yoxa said, Charles!

I have also really enjoyed and respected the clarity and insight of your writing, Charles.  I just ordered a paperback copy of your book on Amazon (I'm old-fashioned; I still love physical books!).   Congratulations and thanks for sharing your knowledge and perspective of the job market with the rest of us.  It is something that young people starting our today can surely use to help them navigate the changing job/career landscape.  And it is something that those of us who are not-so-young may also find beneficial, given the tenuous nature of the "secure retirements" we once thought we'd enjoy.

CleanEnergyFan's picture
CleanEnergyFan
Giving it to my son

I too am ordering the paperback version to give to my son who is a H.S. Junior.  This should be a good complement to the earlier book Adam wrote which I also enjoyed.  It certainly is more challenging now for kids coming out of high school to make career choices than when I was growing up and I appreciate the resources that you both have provided.  See you in Rowe!

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
more reading on the subject

I just found this.

In his book Choose Yourself, Altucher talks a lot about happiness and success. Below are the five  most highlighted passages of the book from  Kindle readers.

1) Success comes from continually expanding your frontiers in every direction—creatively, financially, spiritually, and physically. Always ask yourself, what can I improve? Who else can I talk to? Where else can I look?

2) Only think about the people you enjoy. Only read the books you enjoy, that make you happy to be human. Only go to the events that actually make you laugh or fall in love. Only deal with the people who love you back, who are winners and want you to win too. 

3) Every time you say yes to something you don’t want to do, this will happen: you will resent people, you will do a bad job, you will have less energy for the things you were doing a good job on, you will make less money, and yet another small percentage of your life will be used up, burned up, a smoke signal to the future saying, “I did it again.”

4) The only real fire to cultivate is the fire inside of you. Nothing external will cultivate it. The greater your internal fire is, the more people will want it. 

5) Rejection—and the fear of rejection—is the biggest impediment we face to choosing ourselves.

enriqueclayton's picture
enriqueclayton
Career

Building a career means we have to give 100% dedication, trust loyal and determination and also patience. Apart from these we also need proper guidance and instructions from experienced persons and experts; I really valued the instructions shared here and hopes we can get positive revert from here regarding good career support and development. In most of the occasion we have found that people are suffering from career problems due to lack of proper guidance and support.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments