Fort Hood

joesxm2011
By joesxm2011 on Thu, Apr 3, 2014 - 9:35am

I came home from my weekly training class, turned on CNN and was immediately confused.  I thought they were showing old footage of the first Fort Hood shooting.

Ironically, at our class we were practicing unarmed escape from an armed attacker in our house.  One counterintuitive thing that became obvious to us really fast was that getting trapped in a room was a big mistake.  This seems to contradict the standard active shooter advice of hide and hope he does not pick you.

We are being trained in what might be thought of as "room clearing" techniques, but for the opposite reason that police might use them.  We are not training to hunt bad guys.  We are training to properly peek and evaluate in order to move to safety and to avoid the bad guy.

I have taken a lot of shooting type classes, but I find this personal awareness type of training to be much more useful.  It is much better to avoid a confrontation, be it by deescalating a conflict or by escaping or recognizing a danger and avoiding it before it happens.

Anyway, I wanted to throw out a couple thoughts on the Fort Hood shooting.

The General said that he was pleased with the "rapid response".  From the time the murderer began shooting to the time the first military police officer engaged him in the parking lot was fifteen minutes.  Time enough to track down and shoot 19 people.

The General said that he felt there was no need for concealed carry on base because there was adequate protection provided by the security departments.  I don't mean to get into a deep discussion on this, but I do not consider getting shot at for fifteen minutes to be properly protected.  This just drives home the point that when something happens it is on you to save yourself.

So far three people have died out of sixteen or so that were shot with the mighty .45 caliber round.  That illustrates the fact that most pistol injuries are survivable if you can be stabilized and transported to quality medical care promptly.

In addition to our awareness and avoidance training, we are also trained in basic self/buddy trauma first aid.  We have adapted our daily attire to allow for carrying a CAT tourniquette and Quick Clot Combat Gauze.  After the initial medical training on how and when to use these and other things like pressure bandages, we include a medical aspect to our training drills once or twice a month.

Last month we practiced stuffing gauze into a leg wound (on a dummy rubber leg) and then wrapping it with a pressure bandage.  We did this nearly twelve times that night, starting easy then adding things like doing it in the dark, in the back seat of a car, and then safely evacuating the car etc.

You should consider getting some basic first aid training and on having the related supplies either on your person, in your car trunk, in your office desk or all three.

Thanks for listening.

Joe

5 Comments

thc0655's picture
thc0655
I'm with you

I'm with you Joe on every point.

Here's Deninger on the same.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=228904

You make a great point about how many were hit with the so called "mighty" .45 cal pistol round, but did not die.  Even the "almighty" 12 guage shotgun round is not guaranteed to kill or stop someone hit with it.  In my work, I know two people who have attempted suicide with a shotgun to their own head -- and failed! A combination of poor suicide technique and modern medicine saved their lives and more or less reconstructed their faces/heads.  Fact is, 85% of gunshot wounds are not fatal (in spite of the magic bullets we see on TV and in the movies which kill instantly in so many instances).  If you have to shoot someone in self-defense, keep this in mind and keep shooting until the threat your assailant poses is eliminated (he runs away, drops his weapon, or falls to the ground unable to use his weapon).  As a victim, don't give up just because you've been shot.  You're probably not going to die.  Keep fighting (or escaping). Don't just give up because you are shot.

Tom

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Quick Clot Combat Guaze

Joe, 

Can you recommend a specific product(s) for a first aid kit?

Thanks

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
medical supply links

Quickclot Combat Gauze is used to pack wounds.  When buying you might want to try to get a better expiration date.  If you look into the other sellers link, Rescue Essentials is more expensive but seems to have newer product.

The QuickClot gauze format is better than the earlier crystal format because it is "captured", although some say that being able to pour the crystals into a deep wound is useful.  The Combat format comes with a Z-fold which is less likely to unroll when you are pulling it out, it also has some sort of marker that can be seen by x-ray machines since it needs to be removed at the hospital.

http://www.amazon.com/QuickClot-Combat-Gauze-Z-Fold/dp/B001E1CLTC/ref=sr...

CAT Tourniquet.  The newer ones have the red tab on them and supposedly a stronger plastic windlass.  Some claim that the plastic windlass will break.  This model is easier to put on your arm one-handed if you thread the strap only through one of the two holes in the buckle.  You could later thread through both for a leg using both hands.  

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Issue-Combat-Application-Tourniquet/dp/B0...

SOFTT-W Tourniquet.  The newer ones are the wide model which digs into the arm or leg less.  This has metal parts and some say it is better because it is more rugged.  It is not as easy to put on an arm one-handed but it can be done.

http://www.amazon.com/Tac-Med-Solutions-SOFTT-W-Tourniquet/dp/B003YDSO1W...

The Israeli Bandage is a good general purpose compression bandage.  There are many sellers and there are other compression bandages.  The general idea is you need to pack the wound (very deeply and painfully) with either regular gauze or QuickClot hemostatic gauze, then wrap it tightly with a compression bandage.

http://www.amazon.com/Ever-Ready-First-Aid-Compression/dp/B003DPVERM/ref...

http://www.amazon.com/Kerlix-Gauze-Bandage-Rolls-Sterile/dp/B0002DN39A/r...

Disclaimer - I am only a novice on this medical stuff and anything I say here is just what someone told me in one of the level 1 "buddy survival" classes I took.  There is knowledge that you should know before using hemostatic agents and tourniquets.  You should obtain training from a qualified professional before using the more advanced items.

Sorry for taking so long to respond.  I just saw the post this morning.

p.s. The other type of wound is the chest wound which is treated by closing the holes with a seal or some sort of plastic.  This is much too involved for me to try to explain.  The kit might either have a specialized chest seal item, or just some duct tape and plastic.  Once again this should be explained by a professional.

AKGrannyWGrit's picture
AKGrannyWGrit
NOLS Education

The National Outdoor Leadership School is a great resource for first aid. If like me, you think there might be the possibility that an EMT, Paramedics or an ambulance may not be Johnny on the spot to save you or a loved one the "Wilderness First Responder" course is valuable.  You will learn to assess an injured person, how to treat them, when to evacuate and what to do until you can evacuate.  We had a practice scenario where we had to treat and care for an injured friend on a day hike that turned into an all night, wait for help scenario. We all thought we were prepared until we ended up trying to care for two injured people in the dark freezing rain.  What, you don't hike so this wouldn't apply to you - you think.  Would you know what to do if you were stranded somewhere and had to walk for miles, what supplies do you have and would you know what to do with a twisted ankle?  Check out NOLS.edu - the Wilderness First Responder is ever so much more applicable than EMT training for the average person. IMHO

AK Granny

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
good medical article on survivalblog.com 8/22/2014

There was a pretty good article on Tactical Combat Casualty Care on Survivalblog.com today.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments