Anyone have experience with bio-gas generators to use for your home?

solana314
By solana314 on Thu, Feb 20, 2014 - 6:05pm

I have been learning about how some people are now building bio-gas generators in their backyards to produce electricity essentially from the gas generated from bacteria breaking down compost inside airtight containers.  They say some people generate enough for all their home use needs and even receive a check back from the electric company for extra generated.  Here's a reference below although I am not endorsing it-it is not an unbiased review--it appears to mainly be an advertisement for buying the plans (I paid the $37 and got the blueprints, but haven't tried building it yet and can't vouch for how effective it is in real life yet):

http://www.prweb.com/releases/liberty-generator-review/12/prweb11427986.htm

Do you or anyone you know do use bio-gas for electricity?  I have blueprints and videos showing how to build one in your backyard that shows a standard generator (with a special attachment to make it run on propane), but before I go to the work to build it, I wanted to hear from people who had actually done it about their experience... costs, what they liked about it, what they didn't like, how many kw they actually got out of it, what upkeep is required, how often you have to refill grass clippings, manure, kitchen scraps, etc.  

2 Comments

ljhaines's picture
ljhaines
Biogas

I'm building an eco village at Healing Hands Ranch in Willis, TX and I'm planning on building a biogas plant as part of the back up electric power and heat for the greenhouses in the winter. You can research bio gas digester plants on YouTube. There is a large volume of information, especially if you change search terms slightly such as biogas electricity or biogas generator... Good luck!

bob980's picture
bob980
Biogas Generator

I agree.  There is a wealth of information on the web and YouTube about this.  You may want to do some general searches on producing methane gas too. 

I do not have any direct, personal experience in this but it is an interest of mine too.  I looked into the Liberty Generator too about 2 months ago.  It is certainly hyped a lot but the process certainly works from what I can tell.  And, IMHO, $37 is not too much to spend to gain detailed information about the process. 

Good luck and keep up updated.

Bob

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments