Winter Storm Pax

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Wed, Feb 12, 2014 - 12:51am

A place to discuss dealing with the storm.

Your preps may get a workout. What last minute things did you do to get ready? Lessons learned?

3 Comments

Tycer's picture
Tycer
We bought some collards, some

We bought some collards, some blue corn chips and some beer(we never have beer). It's very nice to be set for this type thing 24/7/365

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
it's been a hard winter

We are very grateful that there was no power outage in or neighborhood (yet), even though 1/8 of South Carolina lost power. We were ready, though. Our neighbors would have been over to get warm by our wood stove, and we would have had a nice opportunity to point them here.

Om-n the other hand, we are nearing the end of our seasoned firewood and--looking at the forecast--we may have to trudge into the woods behind our house to harvest a downed tree. Other than that, it is really a non-event. As you say, Tycer, it's really nice to be ready 27/7/365.

maceves's picture
maceves
Augusta

Augusta got slammed.  I have food and water, a propane stove, gas heat with a battery thermostat, hot water and plenty to eat-----but I am really bored!  Looking out the window watching trees fall is good for a while, and watching the dog jump around on the ice is fun. I read a book, made a fire... I don't like to remember how many of my favorite activities rely on some electricity.  Apparently the light show last night was transformers exploding. 

My son came to pick me up so we could go save the vaccines from his clinic and get them into another refrigerator.  I wouldn't have skated out in my car, but his truck is set up for this kind of thing. That's where I am now, at the clinic with electricity, all alone.

We went out for lunch---McDonald's was so crazy full, people could barely fit inside and there were two lanes of customers outside.  So we found a Wendy's open-also full, but since they aren't taking credit cards, not so much.  People said they had gone to the grocery stores that were open but nothing was on the shelves.

I'll be OK--there's a lot of things worse than boredom.  I suppose I'll go home...I have flashlights and candles and plenty to eat if I can heat water.  The rest of the city is in much worse shape than I am.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments