Suggestions for Preparing Butternut Squash?

suziegruber
By suziegruber on Sat, Feb 1, 2014 - 8:36pm

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine just gifted me with two beautiful butternut squashes that she grew.  I am wondering if anyone here has a favorite way of preparing butternut squash.  I have struggled to find a recipe I like.

Thanks,

Suzie

6 Comments

greendoc's picture
greendoc
Raosted Squash Salad

HI Suzie,

I like this one.  This serves alot, I would cut amounts in half.

http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/2013/11/quinoa-butternut-squash-chickp...

Ingredients

Orange Honey Flax Seed Oil Dressing
Roasted Butternut Squash
Quinoa
Salad
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons flax seed oil
  • 1 whole butternut squash
  • 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
  • dash of cinnamon
  • dash of salt
  • dash of freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup quinoa, mixed red and white
  • 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
  • a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 3 roasted beets, diced into bite-size pieces
  • 2 apples, diced into bite-size pieces, spritzed with fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
  • 6 cups baby salad greens
  • Directions

Orange Honey Flax Seed Oil Dressing
    Roasted Butternut Squash
    Quinoa
    Salad
  • Reduce orange juice to about 1/2 cup in a pan over medium low heat. Whisk together reduced orange juice, rice vinegar, honey and flax seed oil.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and dice butternut squash into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss with coconut oil and season with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Place in single layer on parchment paper lined baking tray. Bake about 20 minutes until just tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
  • Rinse quinoa three times and drain. Place in saucepan with Magic Mineral Broth and rosemary. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove to serving bowl. Toss with a little extra virgin olive oil.
  • Add chickpeas, dried cranberries, roasted beets, roasted butternut squash and dressing. Just before serving, add apples, sunflower seeds and baby salad greens. Toss well. Serve.
wongawife's picture
wongawife
roasted butternut squash soup

Hi Suzie,

I used this recipe as a guide:

http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=187&S=0

Left out the apples and adjusted the seasonings to our preference. So easy and good! Basically just roast the squash with onions (I threw in garlic as well), throw in a pot and add stock and seasonings, puree with hand blender and serve with a dollop of Creme Fraiche...yum!

Also love to throw roasted butternut squash on a bed of spinach (or whatever salad green you like) with roasted red onions, bacon, some good cheese (i.e. feta, chevre, pecorino, etc) and toasted pine nuts. 

Enjoy!

GoatMan's picture
GoatMan
Butternut squash

Hi Suzie,

My favorite way to fix the butternut squash. Cut it length wise, remove the seeds and lay it face down on a cookie sheet and bake it for an hour to an hour fifteen minutes at 350°.  You want it good and tender, test with a toothpick, should be no resistance. Remove the flesh from the shell onto your plate and season to taste with a little salt and ground cumin, but not to much. I then like to add some of my homemade goat butter. It's very good without anything on it as well.

herewego's picture
herewego
Winter squash and sage pesto

Hi Suzie

I like the sweet/roasty flavors of squash baked like Goatman said or cut into chunks and roasted paired with sage pesto.

For sage pesto you need lots of  fresh sage, maybe mixed with a few other strong herbs like thyme, garlic, good olive oil, very fresh walnuts and a salty, aged Italian cheese like Pecorino, Asiago or Parmesan.

In a strong blender or food processor, blend 1cup oil, a big clove of garlic and the herbs in that order.  When you have a thick paste, throw in the cheese, shredded, to taste.  Then add chopped nuts.  If your blender can't handle it, just stir in the grated cheese and finely chopped walnuts by hand.  This pesto has a powerful salty, sagey, rich flavor!  Great on pasta, with meats, on toast and with any roasted veggies.

Cheers

Susan

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Simple.

Peel, boil,  mash, add butter and eat with meat and spuds.

suziegruber's picture
suziegruber
Thank you!

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments