Drought and Wildfires in CA

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Wed, Jan 15, 2014 - 8:29am

Extreme Fire Danger, Record Highs in California as Drought Worsens

Fellow gardeners, are you aware of the severe drought conditions in California, where so much of our supermarket produce comes from? This leads to three questions.

1. Do you have an alternate source of gardening irrigation water in case your area is in severe drought?
  2. Do you have firefighting capability in your resiliency plans?
  3. Are you producing enough food on your own to be less dependent on supermarket produce trucked in from places like CA?

19 Comments

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Of great concern

As a fellow gardener living in Northern California, the current drought conditions are of great concern and discussions are happening daily about it. 

Here is a recent news posting from our local irrigation district about already starting to implement measures to conserve:

NID General Manager Rem Scherzinger said Friday (Jan. 10) that the district is asking all water customers to voluntarily reduce water usage by 20 percent.

“Working together, we can help preserve local water supplies and be better prepared if we don’t get some rain and snow,” he said.

While NID water storage levels remain near average for this time of year, this year’s dry winter has not produced a snowpack that will refill them in spring and summer. As of Thursday (Jan. 9), district reservoirs held 146,619 acre-feet of water, which is 92 percent of average for the date but just 59 percent of capacity.

Seasonal precipitation at NID’s Bowman Reservoir (elev. 5650 ft.) had reached just 8.39 inches, or 29 percent of average by Jan. 9.

In a Jan. 8 report to the NID Board of Directors, Scherzinger said district staff is planning for dry year operations. “Staff is reviewing measures that might be necessary if we have to implement our drought contingency plan,” he said. “While we are counting on our customers to voluntarily cut their use, mandatory reductions could become necessary.”

(Source)

We are really concerned about where the water is going to come from if the snow pack is not there this year and into the future.  And we moved to this area because of the high annual precipitation level.  This then gets me really thinking about what the other large cities down stream are going to do?  I know my parents down in San Diego don't expand their small garden because of the cost of water.  And rainwater harvesting there won't get you very far on the scale they could put in.

Lots to ponder and try to plan for in the moving target of being resilient. Time to get spring seedlings going!

intentional wellness's picture
intentional wellness
Well said, Jason. Nice job!

Well said, Jason. Nice job!

SailAway's picture
SailAway
Re:Of great concern

Jason,

Your parents in San Diego should be fine for now; we have apparently reserves for 2014 in the county:

City of San Diego Water Supply Is Stable

Fred

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
California drought has gotten worse - "Exceptional"

Click through to pictures of depleted lakes and a report on a frightening situation. Are you ready for a drought where you live?

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Drought even being picked up on ZeroHedge

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-03/california-and-after-drought-and-why-its-only-going-get-worse

Good news is that we will get a couple of weather systems in that could bring a few inches of snow and a few inches of rain over the coming week. 

SailAway's picture
SailAway
Waterbricks

Just bought 12 of these 3.5 gallons Waterbricks. By the way the promo code PEAKBRICK5 still seems to be working (was supposed to be good until May 14, 2013...). Got 5% off, thanks!

http://www.peakprosperity.com/dealoftheweek/81766/special-offer-waterbri...

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
5 gallon water jugs

Thanks for posting, SailAway.  I wondered what others were doing with water storage.

I bought about 8 of these 5 gallon jugs from the ReadyStore.  They are stackable  and are about as big as I can carry up stairs (40 pounds when full) without a dolly.  Routine maintenance of stored water is to empty and refill them every 6 months --so I carry them out to my garden and dump them on the plants for irrigation.

Then I also bought a 150 tank from Tractor Supply (that looks just like this one) and a siphon (kind of like the one linked).  This would get my little family of 2 humans and 1 dog through a 3-4 week water emergency like they had in West Virginia last month.

exomatosis's picture
exomatosis
The drought is geo-engineered

This video explains how.

SailAway's picture
SailAway
Re: 5 gallon water jugs
sand_puppy wrote:

Routine maintenance of stored water is to empty and refill them every 6 months --so I carry them out to my garden and dump them on the plants for irrigation.

I also bought this Water Preserver Concentrate, apparently your water is good for up to 5 years with this. Anybody used it before?

Thanks

Fred

exomatosis's picture
exomatosis
Bleach?
SailAway wrote:
sand_puppy wrote:

Routine maintenance of stored water is to empty and refill them every 6 months --so I carry them out to my garden and dump them on the plants for irrigation.

I also bought this Water Preserver Concentrate, apparently your water is good for up to 5 years with this. Anybody used it before?

Thanks

Fred

Yes.  And it works.

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Geo-engineering for fun and profit

I have started to open up a bit to the possibility that weather modification is feasible, not too expensive and can be used (or attempted) for power and profit.  The video posted above is a slightly edited version of "Why in the World Are They Spraying?"  I would not be a bit surprised to someday learn that a group of corporations were messing with "the commons" (of the water content, temperature and currents of the atmosphere) in the quest for power and profit and incidentally screwing up life for countless others.

A few of the video statement posted above (such as the title page!) seem to me to be overly sensationalist and unsupported and thus turn me off pretty badly.  But the bulk of the film seemed to make the subject plausible and seems to me to make geo-engineering a reasonable and pertinent subject for consideration among us introverted-intellectuals-who-want-to-understand-the-world.

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Cloud Seeding to Water Wars

Sandpuppy what a find! Thx for that documentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

Cloud Seeding Water Wars the Cause of Eco-Disasters?

Cloud Seeding

By Victor Thorn -

Without realizing it, Diane Macmillan may have stumbled upon one of the biggest conspiracies currently taking place in America: A quiet war being waged over natural resources that could be behind heavy rains and huge snowfalls in some areas and droughts and wildfires in others.

As a licensed realtor in Colorado, Ms. Macmillan started noticing that rain and snowfall east of the Rocky Mountains had been undergoing significant changes. Researching this phenomenon for the past 15 years, Ms. Macmillan discovered a secret that may be adversely affecting the entire nation.

During an Oct. 26 interview, she told this writer: “Water districts and ski areas west of the Continental Divide have engaged in cloud seeding that has produced a snow pack 500 percent above normal. Not only are ski resorts enjoying boom times, but the water runoff greatly benefits their housing divisions.

“Cloud seeding is actually permitted throughout the state of Colorado,” she said. “In fact, we even have an official Division of Weather Modification that acknowledges cloud seeding.”

As of now, this is being done almost exclusively on the west side of the Rocky Mountains. But there is a downside. East of the Rockies, the rain and snow that usually falls has been sucked away, resulting in severe weather on that side of the mountain range.

Ms. Macmillan continued: “Without getting their natural amount of rain and snow that they’d previously been getting for centuries, severe droughts have resulted, causing a heavy economic toll on farmers. Their crops are dwindling, cattle don’t have enough hay to eat and aquifers and underground wells are depleted.

But that’s only the beginning. Ms. Macmillan noted another byproduct: “The lack of snow cover in winter creates soil diseases and E. coli in cows because certain bugs don’t die off. Most people aren’t aware of it, but the cantaloupe listeria outbreak that killed 25 people began in Colorado.”

This story, though, has broader ramifications. Ms. Macmillan paints the picture. “Because it’s so dry, eastern Colorado has suffered a rash of wildfires,” she said. “But we’re not the only ones. Every state along the Continental Divide permits cloud seeding. So, if you’ve noticed, there were deadly fires last summer in Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, all because of drought conditions.”

Like placing pieces together in a puzzle, Ms. Macmillan added: “Today, silver iodide is used for cloud seeding. Yet before, pilots dropped ashes onto clouds to produce rain. In this context, what do wildfires produce huge amounts of? Ashes.”

Here is where it gets interesting. Ms. Macmillan theorized: “Due to Colorado’s fires, ashes—acting as cloud seeding agents—filtered up into the atmosphere, drifted northeast toward Wisconsin, and then caused tremendous flooding. Plus, did ash produced by half-million-acre wildfires in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas create record-breaking rainfall and flooding in states along the Mississippi River such as Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi? Then, of course, there were hailstorms, 100-day long heatwaves, and a tornado that obliterated Joplin.”

Billions of dollars in destruction came in the aftermath, leaving families homeless, communities wrecked, and insurance companies scrambling to cover their costs. With so many lives ruined, what could possibly be the motive for this possible cloud-seeding plot? An answer might be found in something called the Colorado River Compact where cities built on desert land such as Las Vegas and Los Angeles are starved for water and therefore rely on surpluses from their northern mountain neighbors. Thus, with substantially more rain and snow west of the Continental Divide due to cloud seeding, teeming reservoirs spill into the Colorado River, which then feeds Las Vegas and the L.A. aqueducts.

What we’re talking about are water wars and astronomical amounts of money being paid to Colorado by water-hungry areas in the southwest. Ms. Macmillan weighed in: “Last year, the city and county of Denver spent $200,000 on cloud seeding. But in Colorado, there’s a blackout on this story among those in the press.”

When AFP inquired as to why insurance companies haven’t investigated this matter, Ms. Macmillan responded, “I don’t think they’ve put the whole picture together yet.”

——

Chem Trails = Cloud seeding......no more conspiracy theory wackos please!

NN

Doug's picture
Doug
sand_puppy wrote: I have
sand_puppy wrote:

I have started to open up a bit to the possibility that weather modification is feasible, not too expensive and can be used (or attempted) for power and profit.  The video posted above is a slightly edited version of "Why in the World Are They Spraying?"  I would not be a bit surprised to someday learn that a group of corporations were messing with "the commons" (of the water content, temperature and currents of the atmosphere) in the quest for power and profit and incidentally screwing up life for countless others.

A few of the video statement posted above (such as the title page!) seem to me to be overly sensationalist and unsupported and thus turn me off pretty badly.  But the bulk of the film seemed to make the subject plausible and seems to me to make geo-engineering a reasonable and pertinent subject for consideration among us introverted-intellectuals-who-want-to-understand-the-world.

Why would you be surprised that we can modify weather? We've been doing it on a planetary scale for a long time. However, intentional weather modification should be avoided at all costs. The law of unintended consequences has too many scary scenarios.

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Possibility

Just bringing this up, but cloud seeding isn't new. The real problem isn't that there is insufficient amounts of water, it's that there are too many people vying for it.

All the conjecture about what horrible conspiring is going in behind the scenes is secondary to that. I shake my head when I see people washing their cars every week, watering their grass and generally using water like... Well, like they use all the other resources they abuse.

These problems were all touched upon by Dr. Bartlett and require no elaborate expert testimonial to expose the truth. The video provided, by the way, is grossly misrepresenting their guests' credentials. There are sound principles expressed, but as with all this stuff, the devil is in the details. The negative growth countdown is on, and these kinds of challenges will speed it up.

cheers,

Aaron

khuber's picture
khuber
Water, it's alive

All this is great if you only think about storage for emergencies.

Water is alive. You want to invent systems for keeping it alive.

Water needs to move. It needs to interact with vegetation and the environment.

Water that is alive carries information.

Healthy water is essential for plant health and your health.

Some of you may want to check out Sepp Holzer's books, including "Desert or Paradise." Water storage, water flow, water interacting with the environment is central to how best to live.

As for shortages, Sepp also writes about natural water harvesting, from the air and from the soil. One example he does not mention are the California Redwood Cloud Forests.

lunableu22's picture
lunableu22
Updated video from Last month in Redding

Here's the link:

Explains more succinctly the urgency with geoengineering and provides a better context for the climate change/global warming thesis.

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Leaving California?

I'm from California and have family there.  I'm wondering about when it might be time to recommend they leave that state.  (Not that they listen all that much to me......   But that is another issue.)

Another article on the evolving drought situation in California.  "California's New Dust Bowl."  It starts out being about water, then moves into economic distress as the industries that depend on water fail.  About 1 million agricultural workers become unemployed, the tax base falters and safety nets fray.

In emergency medicine we have a saying that there are two times to set up for an intubation:  Too early and too late.  With too early, you set up your equipment BEFORE you are CERTAIN that you will need it.  And sometimes it is not needed, and everything must be sterilized, repackaged and put away again.  With too late, the doctor waits until he is CERTAIN that a person's ability to ventilate is failing and then, as they literally turn blue, scrambles through the crash cart trying to find the correctly sized equipment in a panic.  The problem here is the short transition time between being certain an action is needed and the ideal moment of action.

One of the most striking images to me from FerFal's writing was of the masses of city dwellers who were very very slow to realize that after the food had run out more was not going to be delivered.  They waited in the cities, and then when tens of thousands of them were starving and desperate, they began to move as mobs into the countryside looking for food.  These were not your early adopters and visionaries.   They needed an INFP who could "see the writing on the wall" of the potential futures and remind them that they could plan ahead.

Leaving California too late

In this scenario, a person does not prepare to leave until it is clear to EVERYONE that the state is unlivable.  Then, along with tens of millions of others, they try to sell their homes into a market without buyers and load the U-Haul (which are no longer available).  At the extreme range of possibilities, I can imagine people walking away from homes and possessions.  

Too early

"That'll never happen!  We stay put."  And things go well.  The rain begins to fall, the economy turns around, the tax base improves and people realize they are SO GLAD they didn't over-react to the drought of '14 and leave when everyone else was hitting the panic button unnecessarily.  People remain delighted to live in paradise.  They pat themselves on the back for being of a steady and realistic temperament.

I guess at this stage, I would start scenario planning for an uncertain future.  Where else would I like to live?  What would I take?  

Maybe, unlike Noah, it isn't time to actually build an ark.  But it might be good to start sketching out the type of ark you might want and price some lumber.

rtsmd's picture
rtsmd
Too early or too late

Love the analogy in medicine. Having done many intubations and taught them as well, I would teach basic preparedness in emergency situations and would teach and rehearse the fundamentals of intubation so that when the time came to intubate, there was an a feeling of calm on the part of the one doing the intubation: do I have suction set up, do I have an oxygen source, do I have a proper and functioning laryngoscope (and test the light), can the ET tube cuff hold pressure...

Once the students understood the value of preparedness for the situation, then much of the anxiety is taken away. Not all.

Prepare yourself and KNOW that you are prepared and much of the anxiousness will go away.

Maybe the better question to ask is why do I want to stay in California at all, not just that it is a bad drought year this year. Once you look at it squarely and without any sense of panic, you will know better what is most important to you. After taking the crash course in 2009, I have been slowly working on making the changes in my own life. Some of the changes are internal...learning basic skills and perfecting them...some are external...I am nearly finished building a homestead that can be close to self sufficient on 24 acres in a rural area nearby my hometown. 5 years. If the economy collapses, I'm prepared. If the economy doesn't collapse, I have a helluva retirement place.

Just start your preparations now, whether you stay there and be prepared to "bug in" and all that it means or whether you choose to leave CA ("bug out"), just get started. You can find peace either way.

exomatosis's picture
exomatosis
The dream is dying

I remember the first time I visited California and spent 6 weeks there.  It seemed like paradise.  Great weather, great scenery, great food, great people.  But now?  I think drought, no water, dead vegetation, wildfires, mudslides, overdue earthquake, Fukushima radiation, dying sea life, Marxist legislators, draconian laws, police state, moral deterioration, potential ethnic/racial strife, collapsing pension system, economic target of the cabal, etc.  With what we know is coming, I wouldn't want to be there. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments