Clever thieves use your electronics against you

thc0655
By thc0655 on Wed, Jan 15, 2014 - 12:20am

The following link highlights two clever burglaries/thefts in which the criminals used the victims' electronic gadgets against them.  In the first, criminals broke into the victims's  car while they were at a football game. Among the items taken from the car was a GPS mounted prominently on the dash (are you kidding!!?) and a garage door remote. They followed the unlocked GPS to the home of the car's owner, opened the garage door with the remote stolen from the victims's car and backed their own truck into the garage.  Knowing they had several hours before the victims returned home, they cleaned the house out of valuables.

In the second case a woman has her purse including her cell phone stolen.  Half an hour later she calls her husband to tell him what happened and he says he sent her the PIN to their debit card about 10 minutes earlier.  The thief got into the unlocked cell phone, texted the husband asking for the PIN, and simply used the card with the PIN to withdraw their money.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/security/not-all-burglars-are-stupid/#more...

Pretty clever (the thieves, I mean)!!  Do you see some ways to make these kinds of crimes much more difficult or impossible?

1. Don't leave your GPS in your vehicle where it can be seen. Hide it in the trunk if you can't take it with you.  If it has a feature enabling you to lock it so a thief can't use it against you, lock it. 

2. Hide your garage remote in the car if you can't take it with you.

3. Install and use an electronic security system at your house that covers your garage (a frequently overlooked zone).

4. Use the locking feature on your cell phone religiously so if it's stolen no one can get past the security feature and use it against you.

4 Comments

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
interesting

Thanks, thc, good heads up, honest folks only need one slip. Criminals have lots of time to be criminals.

As I've posted for years, though, my wife is an antiprepper, will not follow any of those rules. Fortunately, she has no GPS in car and no critical info on phone;she would forget a password, is ADHD, no planning.

Only good news...no way from garage to my home, odd design, door was made into closet and closed off from garage, no entry without electric saw (not available in garage...). If they want to clean out garage I will lose a generator, two crummy lawn mowers, lawn chairs, and a lot of stuff that should be thrown out.

BobbyJoe's picture
BobbyJoe
Clever thieves use your electronics against you

A really good suggestion from the web link which needs to be highlighted is: replace the "Go to Home" address of your GPS unit from your house address to the address of a nearby location such as a gas station or store. In this way even if your hidden GPS unit is found it can't be used to locate your house.

Mark Clair's picture
Mark Clair
Clever Thieves Use Your Electronics Against You

Thanks for the tips. I have been robbed once before when I was home. Thank God the thief didn't use any electronics against me. I still don't know how did he enter my home. But now I am free from all those thieves because I have installed a home alarm camera ( http://www.videorelay.com/videorelay-uses-details/?use=107 ) It is working pretty well. Now I can know whoever visits my home even when I was not there. 

Anyway, thanks again for your tips.

shastatodd's picture
shastatodd
locked doors?

i live were most people dont locks their doors. :)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments