PeakProsperity on PBS Newshour Tonight!

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Wed, Jan 15, 2014 - 6:50pm

UPDATE2: Here's the video of the PBS Newshour segment

Please share this video with anyone you think will find value in it.

UPDATE: After a few false alarms, PBS has confirmed this is indeed airing tonight @ 6:45pm

This summer, Paul Solman and a film crew from PBS Newshour visited the Martenson homestead to capture the message behind the Peak Prosperity movement.

We're honored and excited to have made it onto PBS Newshours' radar. This highly-respected broadcast reaches millions of viewers and allows for longer & more in-depth exploration than many other sound-bite-only media outlets. 

We've just learned that the footage shot this summer will air tonight. So tune into your local PBS station this evening (PBS Newshour airs at 6pm in most time zones) and watch along with us!

If you don't know which channel is PBS in your area, you can find out by visiting this page.

67 Comments

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
PBS viewing options?

Not having access to cable, is it possible to view the  PBS show on the computer?  Aloha, Steve.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Ditched cable and broadcast years ago

Helped to alleviate the MSM blah-blah-blah.  Same question as Steve.

livsez's picture
livsez
PBS NewsHour Stream

This PBS NewsHour Stream link should work.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
We should receive a video clip afterwards

In addition to the streaming option that Livio just shared (thanks, Liv!), it's my understanding we'll receive a video clip afterwards, which I'll embed here.

cheers,
A

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
FInger's crossed

Becca and I are hoping it came out well.  They certainly had a lot of footage.  But you never know how things are going to get edited...

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
I'm so excited!

I checked my local PBS in Central NY and they have PBS Newshour scheduled for 7 PM.  Fingers crossed also, Chris and Becca and Adam!

PS Thanks for the live link, livsez!

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Ugh - False Alarm

Just heard we got bumped tonight by a story on the polar vortex.

PBS will give us the heads up again when it looks like our segment will air. Rest assured we'll let everyone here know.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Awwh man!!

Stupid polar vortex! :/

Hrunner's picture
Hrunner
Typical PBS pinheads

Polar vortex (whatever the hell that is!)  selected over the plain-spoken and scholarly Chris Martenson, who has valuable information for every individual, co-starring with the lovely and smart Becca, about how to live a better life for years to come?

They probably have a riveting sequel lined up about how some Pacific Islanders make underwear out of hemp.

This is Exhibit A why you don't want government running media.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Bumped by PBS
Hrunner wrote:

Polar vortex (whatever the hell that is!)  selected over the plain-spoken and scholarly Chris Martenson, who has valuable information for every individual, co-starring with the lovely and smart Becca, about how to live a better life for years to come?

They probably have a riveting sequel lined up about how some Pacific Islanders make underwear out of hemp.

This is Exhibit A why you don't want government running media.

Next week it will be because of this

And I thought it was "media running government", not the other way around.  I'm so confused at this point.

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
A polar vortex might last a week or so...

The consequences of a finite world raped and pillaged will last forever.

Mainstream journalism once again proves how useless they are at showcasing that which is truly important. What else is new?!?

Helix's picture
Helix
Getting real

You've gotta understand where PBS is coming from.  "Polar Vortex" is a new buzz-phrase (had you ever heard this term before?).  A news hour publicizing the new buzz-phrase falls under the category "gripping television".  It's life and death, man!

Peak Prosperity, on the other hand, is for people with a brain.  Clearly not a common trait among the "viewing audience". 

Doug's picture
Doug
Helix wrote:You've gotta
Helix wrote:

You've gotta understand where PBS is coming from.  "Polar Vortex" is a new buzz-phrase (had you ever heard this term before?).  A news hour publicizing the new buzz-phrase falls under the category "gripping television".  It's life and death, man!

Peak Prosperity, on the other hand, is for people with a brain.  Clearly not a common trait among the "viewing audience". 

For those of us in the vortex, it is gripping television and, to some degree, life and death.  It's really cold and those of us lee of the Great Lakes have blizzard conditions not seen in decades.  But then, perhaps my brain is frozen. ;^)

Doug

Hrunner's picture
Hrunner
Fascism explained

@Time,

Let me clarify.

Fascism is the close "binding together" (a fascia is a binding of several things together).

I want a society composed of independent people and organizations that are of high integrity, extend good will toward each other, well-educated, who are critically thinking about issues and presenting thoughtful points of view grounded in accurate data.

I don't want a state-sponsored media that, either directly or unconsciously, may be putting out stories that have an ulterior motive or agenda to promote a governmental message or policy point of view.

To be clear, it is appropriate for all citizens and private corporations to advocate for their own needs and wants, to petition their government.  To inform their government about issues they may or may not be aware of or have a depth of understanding.

That is miles away from a private sector or NGO that is getting kickbacks in the form of contracts, protection from prosecution, future jobs in government or in the advocating organization, regulations that favor the entity to the detriment of its competitors, to get favorable treatment that results in overall bad policy or a policy that harms the citizenry.

I don't want a media or private sector that purports to be journalistic but slants reports to support the agenda of the government which they may happen to share.

How about if we have journalists just report stories with accurate and comprehensive data and let viewers decide how to interpret the information?

H

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
PBS - That Went Well, I Thought

I thought that went pretty well.  Becca did, too.  

We've been through the media wringer before and know that we got treated both professionally and reasonably well, so kudos to Paul, his team, and the editing!

How much can you say in less than ten minutes?  Not a lot, but enough to get people interested, I hope.  My only wish is that the stock market was not touching all time highs, which tends to blunt people's appreciation for the risks that we talk about.

But, all things in their time.  Chalk this one up as a plus!

dbonham's picture
dbonham
Great PBS piece!

Loved it. Can definitely relate. Just recently bought a place in the country with room for chickens and garden. Will definitely follow your site.

bbroadhead's picture
bbroadhead
Great Program

I'll forward this, when I get a link, to my friends who still aren't "on board".  The credibility of PBS is a plus.  Lot's of new people exposed to our ideas here, which is wonderful.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Strange but good

It was so funny (strange) watching this piece, from the perspective of a CM-follower who already buys into the views represented here.  To me, the interviewer seemed one step removed from making light of Chris's views, with a little bit of a smile as he asked questions, and a twinkle in his eyes.  Yet, at the same time, he was tentatively exploring them...poking at them like one might a strange animal to see how it would react.  It struck me as a microcosm for how the larger general public (or rather, the viewing audience of PBS) may itself perceive the information presented by Chris.  In this regard, I think the interview represents a positive step forward.  While I would have liked to have seen more of the substance of Chris's views presented, I think maybe the important contribution was the very fact that a more mainstream news organization was ready to take an exploratory look at this "strange animal" (different perspective).  One step at a time, ay?

One thing that I thought was great was to watch how both Chris and Becca reacted to the interviewer's questions. If the interviewer's one-step-removed stance (my opinion) had been out of anticipation that he may invoke the ravings of tin-foil hat lunatics, or overly-emotionally laden responses, that's not what panned-out.  Rather, Chris and Becca both shared their perspectives very evenly and intelligently with the interviewer, without trying to strong-arm or pressure him into believing it.  Chris even laughed along with him at times.  I think this kind of even reaction may be just what the more mainstream media needs to see and experience, in order to step back and make an initial assessment of the credibility of the message.

So overall, this was very interesting to me.  While I was initially disappointed not to see more in-depth presentation of Chris's perspectives, I think I am now more appreciative of what this interview may actually represent.  I.e., maybe, just maybe, the general public is starting to become more willing/able to entertain these "new/different ideas", to try to help make sense of an economic landscape that has to be incredibly confusing for those without our conceptual framework!

ftealjr's picture
ftealjr
PBS Presentation

Pinecarr, I agree very much with your interpretation.  Excellent presentation Chris and Becca!!!

I believe one of the greatest strengths of Peak Prosperity is the very level headed approach used by Chris and many of the other contributors. Overall, things have deteriorated more slowly over the last few years than most of us anticipated, but when you look at each individual 3E area, significant changes have taken and are taking place and they confirm the concerns all of us have anticipated.

Waiting for the next grain of sand to fall on the pile and planting a few fruit and nut trees in the meantime.

George Fleming's picture
George Fleming
worried about the national debt and deficits?

Then you will support a return to the tax rates of 1950's.  That would also be the way to reduce inequality of incomes and wealth, which is now the most severe it has ever been in this nation or any other developed nation in the modern world.  Great inequality eventually results in war and revolution.

In other words, you will not vote for any Republican or most Democrats.  We need a new political party that stands for this program of reversing the many outrages that began with Reagan.

treebeard's picture
treebeard
Outside the box

Not to bad, was not a MSM style ambush at least. There was still a bit of the "fringe curiosity" aspect to the report.  I did like the EF Schumacher reference and idea that these issues transcend the typical left right paradigm.  They did show some attention to the reference to Jekyll Island and the money printing issue, though in a bit of a dismissive way.  I did think it was respectful and gave Chris and Becca credit for their authenticity.  Good job.

It still boggles the mind how clueless most people are on these issues so fundamental to the basic sustainability of the human project.  But it will be the powers that be that will be the last to catch on, truth and change always come from the edges of society and never from the centers of power. So it is and ever will be it seems.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
PBS Newshour video posted

The PBS Newshour video has been published within the original post above.

Please share it with anyone you think will find value in it.

cheers,
A

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
overall....good!

Great opportunity for some MSM exposure.  I might take issue with the tone of the "wishful throwback" comment, and not sure exactly why the propane tank truck was there, but, as Chris, I'd chalk this up to a plus.  Great job Chris and Becca!   Aloha, Steve.

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Well done Chris and Becca!

The interviewer asks, "what if you are wrong about the debt" ?  Really... I had to chuckle.. as if it does not come down to some pretty simple math.  Bravo for keeping a smile on your face;

link to Mish;  http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2014/01/when-will-fed-hike-pa...

kelvinator's picture
kelvinator
Nice Piece, Chris & Becca & Paul!

I've watch the PBS Newshour intermittently, and have liked many of Paul Solman's pieces - some of the subjects he focuses on relate to subjects we discuss here, like the realities of the jobless recovery, wealth inequality, and so on.   So, I was glad to see that it was basically a good fit and thought he'd likely provide a fair treatment.   As you'd expect in a short piece, it always feels like details are left out.   Nonetheless, I was really glad to see that, at least to me, three important impressions stood out:

1)  That the idea of infinite economic growth at the center of western economics itself is absurd.  It's amazing how very few people publicly talk about this at all, so all the more important that it be said loudly and often.  I literally feel a sense of relief hearing you or anyone else say it on national television.  Makes the world seem a little bit less in insane denial.  I've taken to including it frequently in comments I make on economic related sites.

2)  That just maybe, how the Fed works and the fact that it is printing money out of thin air is kind of crazy - which I thought Becca introduced very nicely (and the idea was then kind of gently further introduced as a candidate concept for the audience to consider by Solman's narration).

3) That living a simpler, more self-sufficient, sustainable lifestyle can seem pretty appealing visually and conceptually - very beautiful shots of your place and your area.   Overall, the piece helps convey the idea that moving monetary resources and personal energy out of an obviously crazed, big bank based financial system into projects, large or small, that more directly support people in simpler, more sustainable lifestyles makes intuitive sense.  Plus, it's not even a right/left, republican/democrat food fight issue!.  Another big relief!  Will miracles never end?!  ;-) 

Congrats!

jtwalsh's picture
jtwalsh
Good Stuff

I thought the interview came off very well.  Both of you came through as intelligent, articulate and passionate. I am envious of your garden and fruit trees. Seeing them in their summer prime gives me a goal to attain. 

Thanks again for all your efforts.

JT

HughK's picture
HughK
Very positive - Congrats, Chris and Becca

I just watched the Newshour clip and it looked great.  What made it for me was the beautiful setting of Chris' homestead, especially the fresh peaches and vegetables.  I have no idea how viewers received this, but I am hopeful that such an attractive setting inspired people to see that one can opt-out of the mainstream narrative and urban rat race without being simply a critic, and can instead choose a path that is much more enriching, positive, and sustainable.

It's not often that you see a reference to the Creature from Jekyll Island, solar panels, and free-range hens in the same interview.

Congratulations, Chris and Becca!

Hugh

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
All in all...

Overall I am quite pleased with the piece.  Given the possible angles they could have taken - fringe, apocalyptic, crazy, tinfoil, etc. - and given that this is the mainstream media taking a shot at producing something catchy in seven minutes (I understand the business and the pressures to 'be interesting'), I'm pretty satisfied with it.

The cameraman who came out that day was quite sympathetic, if not taken by our lifestyle and the reasons for it.  As he was leaving, he noted that in his 20+ years of working with Paul, his interview with me, which ranged quite widely and for more than an hour and a half, was the longest he'd ever filmed.  In fact, the typical interview rarely went over one half hour.

So there was something in our message that caught Paul.

We do get a second bite at the apple here, because the PBS online version will include more clips and more material from the my interview, Becca's, and possibly our neighbor's (who didn't make it into the television piece).

So it will be interesting to see what sorts of clips make it there.  Also, the on-line piece may be a good place to send people who you think could benefit from seeing this material coming from a mainstream source.  I know a few myself.

The part I am most pleased by was that the reference to endless economic growth made it in there.  That's the thing we collectively need to begin having a conversation about, and any time we can get that conversation starter inserted is a win.

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Boat Bufoon to Garden Master

What a great juxtaposition from the deck of the boat to the tranquility of the homestead. This clip will resonate most with the Greenwich Connecticut crowd who have the means to make the transition. They need inspiration and courage. Both are evident in this video. For Becca and Chris (and their children) to give up a privileged lifestyle is no small feat. This is a model of a type of conservative investment that some members of our society can choose to make.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
About that boat....
Oliveoilguy wrote:

What a great juxtaposition from the deck of the boat to the tranquility of the homestead. This clip will resonate most with the Greenwich Connecticut crowd who have the means to make the transition. They need inspiration and courage. Both are evident in this video. For Becca and Chris (and their children) to give up a privileged lifestyle is no small feat. This is a model of a type of conservative investment that some members of our society can choose to make.

Can I be completely honest here?  I m.i.s.s. that boat.  A Grady White Gulfstream with twin engines and easy access to great fishing in Long Island Sound.

*sigh*

Well, I have a kayak now, and it has a double-bladed paddle, so there's that.

So I know how hard it is to give up the perks of modern life - some of them are really magnificent.  On the other side of the ledger, this new viewpoint of mine gives me endless opportunities for gratitude... 

• I am grateful every time I notice that I am whizzing along in my car, silently, at 65 mph.
  • I am amazed to scoot down a runway, fly in comfort with wi-fi, and make it thousands of miles in a single day, none the worse for the distance.
  • I cherish eating fresh fruits and vegetables waaaAAaaay out of season.

None of these things and a thousand others could or would be possible without the vast inputs provided by fossil fuels.

So I am thankful to be alive in this time and consider the immense gift of time that such fuels provide to me as a great treasure, not to be wasted.

thebrewer's picture
thebrewer
It's a start

I think Chris and Becca did a great job and came off very credible!

With that said, Paul's MSM attitude couldn't be missed; not to mention his liberal mindset. The thought that "a republican" could ever get behind alternative energy sources, how truly outside the norm. The idea that someone does the right thing without coercion or government oversight appears to him as an anomaly.

I know it's a reporters job to be skeptical but I found Paul approach to be almost dismissive. It's hard to get a good read when you see only selected clips so I'll just say that, it's a start.

LesPhelps's picture
LesPhelps
Loved it Chris and Becca

I would be great if more of us had your ability to stay on topic and avoid being labeled as extremist in related areas such as politics, environmentalism, etc.  You present as someone who deals with those issues because of how they relate to your core understanding.

Wish I could say that more clearly.  Perhaps an example will help.  I have a friend since high school, who lives in Eugene Oregon.  He promotes permaculture, environmentalism and criticizes capitalism and our government because that is the religion, so to speak, that he adopted in the 1970s.

On a side note, I feel a bit less guilty about the 5th wheel travel trailer and truck I sold in 2008 after seeing your picture on the boat in the video.

Excellent work.

HughK's picture
HughK
Kayaks and double-bladed paddles

Kayaks and double-bladed paddles can still be fossil fuel intensive - here's a shot from the Futaleufu in Chile, a rather long plane ride and drive from where I am now - but on the other hand, they can also be used in the local pond or bay with very little energy, aside from human muscle.

I no longer have a car, so sadly my boats mostly sit dormant in a basement, although I have put them on a train a couple of times to do a nearby section of the Rhone, and rented a car for one paddling trip a couple of years ago.

In the balance though, I'm just as happy hiking or climbing, swimming or even just strolling along the wooded edges of our town, as I was when I spent a lot of energy and money chasing whitewater thrills.

Cheers,

Hugh

jcat3022's picture
jcat3022
what a beautiful homestead

picturesque and relaxing to look at.  Congrats to you and your family on creating such beauty.

re: the piece, I thought it was enjoyable.  Not so sure I understand the whole "conservative" narrative PBS was trying to hammer home, but get it.  They have an agenda at the end of the day and while not as harsh as the elites of the MSM, they sprinkle their reporting with a little bias here and a little bias there.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
I have a favor to ask.

Please consider commenting at the PBS site....as always, the calm and rational approach we have here could do some good elsewhere on the net...it would be good to have some of our thinking as part of the 'discussion' that's (not really) happening there.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june14/debt_01-15.html

Follow the link above, scroll down, and weigh in.

Thank you in advance!

Becca Martenson's picture
Becca Martenson
We didn't give up a privileged life...we're living it now!

Our life before may have had the trappings of privilege, but it was only skin deep (even though Chris really misses his boat).

We are privileged to have a square of land to grow our own food, and create our energy from the sun.

We are privileged to have deep connections with our local community, and to be surrounded by people who understand and live Chris's message.

I'm feeling really grateful that piece turned out as well as it did.  As Chris mentioned, we've had a range of experiences with media before and we never know what we're going to get!  I was happy to see that the message of exponential growth made it in, as well as the focus on creating a resilient life.  Paul was pretty skeptical throughout the interview, but I am grateful that he was willing to do this piece despite his views.

I encourage you all to visit the PBS News Hour site and bring some of what you appreciate about Chris's message to the comment section.  

thebrewer's picture
thebrewer
Point Missed

As I suspected, based on the majority of comments on the PBS site regarding this piece, the point was completely missed. Maybe seeing the full interview and getting more information a few more bulbs would have lit up.

After nearly a hundred years of feeding the beast, most people in this country and certainly most viewers of PBS in general will never change their opinion that the best choice is to hand all control over to a central government. Part of me believes that many are not willing to change their mind because that would mean admitting you were wrong. 

In addition I find that the many in that camp suspect that the train is coming off the rails but would rather just put on their seatbelt and hope for the best lest we disrupt our illusion of the good life. At some point though, these folks are going to realize the harsh reality....that trains don't have seat belts!

RoseHip's picture
RoseHip
Appreciation

I appreciate the vulnerability that it must have taken to have lived the experiences that the Martenson's have, that lead to the choices that created this reality and then to have the intention to share these experiences on as large a scale as the world will allow it. Speaks to the courage, timing and profusion of truth shared by you both. I find those characteristics to be truly beautiful and I use them as a model for my own behavior. Our very existence is relational, as we do to another we do to ourselves.

Rose

ScottT's picture
ScottT
Expected skepticism

Paul was pretty skeptical throughout the interview, but I am grateful that he was willing to do this piece despite his views.

I enjoyed the piece very much. The fact that Paul was skeptical likely provided the counter balance for the wider audience that would have to digest what was being presented by Chris. Clearly Paul was a representative for the "others" (i.e. our spouses, friends and family members) who are oblivious to the reality of resource depletion and economic distortions caused by unchecked money printing that may one day wreak havoc on society.  Change happens slowly and this interview can be seen as one more positive step in the right direction.  People don't like to be hit over the head with a 2x4 and this certainly was a thought provoking soft approach to raising awareness about a difficult set of topics.  Great work to you and Chris!

Christopher H's picture
Christopher H
Still not too impressed by PBS...

My view of this may be a bit jaded given that I pay no attention to mainstream news and watch very little TV at all anymore.  But I thought that this piece was designed just as most MSM pieces are, which is to say they try to boil the subject matter down to an either/or, left/right dichotomous paradigm, in spite of the subject matter at hand if necessary.

First off, though a quick hit list of the things I liked about the piece: The shots of Chris and Becca's beautiful homestead, showing the abundance that the land can provide.  Their statement about halving their standard-of-living while doubling their quality-of-life (this was perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT part of the segment with the greatest potential to reach people, in my opinion).  The mention of E.F. Schumacher's "Small is Beautiful."

Now, the things I didn't like about the piece -- all of which reflect on PBS, not Chris and Becca:

1. The piece focused like a laser on the Economic E.  Even when the subject of economic growth came up, it was couched completely in financial terms, not in terms of the Energy and Environmental E's.  By focusing on finance and debt, this allowed Mr. Soliman to frame the discussion in a liberal vs. conservative, left vs. right dichotomy -- greatly reducing the effectiveness of Chris's message.

2. The piece mentioned the affinity of Chris's message with E.F. Schumacher's Small is Beautiful, which was one of the larger influences on my evolution of economic thought and philosophy.  However, in doing so, it missed perhaps one of the most important messages of Schumacher's work -- the notion of a "primary" economy of natural resources and ecological services, and a "secondary" economy of value-added products founded on the primary economy.  This has been expanded further by John Michael Greer to include a "tertiary" economy of financial products, which is founded upon the primary and secondary economies.  By focusing on the realm of money to the exclusion of the natural world or value-added products and services, the discussion becomes increasingly disconnected from reality.  Then again, that seems to be a touchstone of our current civilization.

But, I also have to consider that if this piece brings more people to Chris's message, all the better.  Those who negatively comment on it on the PBS website probably weren't receptive to it anyway, and none of this takes anything away from the more important work that is underway to increase personal and community resiliency in the face of a future that is going to require it if we want to come through in one piece.

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Becca....I agree
Becca Martenson wrote:

Our life before may have had the trappings of privilege, but it was only skin deep (even though Chris really misses his boat).

We are privileged to have a square of land to grow our own food, and create our energy from the sun.

We are privileged to have deep connections with our local community, and to be surrounded by people who understand and live Chris's message.

Becca....That's exactly my point. Much of society views monetary wealth as privilege. I grew up in Connecticut, went to Deerfield and Tufts but only started to become human when I moved into a rural Texas town 30 years ago and became a certified organic grower.  I thought I enjoyed the yacht club, tennis, skiing, etc.  but now I realize how superficial that all was.  

The toys and vacations through the years now have little redeeming value, whereas the greenhouse and gardens I have built with my own hands are a true legacy for my children. At the end of the most days, I come into the house exhausted and collapse into a chair, but I love every minute of it. 

Few people understand how privileged we are to get back to agrarian roots. 

greendoc's picture
greendoc
thanks for the nudge........

Your garden and chicken set-up looked so groomed and orderly!  It got me away from my desk and out cleaning my chicken coop on a gorgeous day (more like April than January..where is our winter rain?).

I am so grateful to own some land and be able to grow some food and be connected deeply to a place. I do miss skiing though........and snow for that matter.

Kor Kiley's picture
Kor Kiley

I just registered for this site on the basis of having seen the interview. I thought the interview was pretty good but I also detected quite a bit of skepticism on the part of Paul Solman. Not that there is anything wrong with healthy skepticism, as long as it is accompanied by an open mind. I suppose I am a terminal skeptic myself.

I am close to 69 years old and I have felt most of my life that there was something wrong with an economy that depends on continual growth. To me it makes no sense and I feel that by accepting the idea, one chooses to live in a world of make-believe. When after the financial difficulties of 2008, the media spoke of people having to get by with less things, less luxuries, as a problem, I could only wonder how few other people might feel as I did--a move in the right direction. It's one thing not to have enough to eat or to live in sub-standard housing--the over-consumption of goods of dubious need is quite another. And when you hear that people aren't consuming enough of these "things", its painful to hear that this is what is preventing prosperity and jobs to keep everyone employed. And nothing bothers me more than knowing that continual population growth is an essential part of the growth formula.

I have not yet viewed the crash course but intend to do so soon. It's nice to find a place where people might share some of my views.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Kor Kiley

Welcome aboard!

thebrewer's picture
thebrewer
Welcome Kor!

I think you'll find the Crash Course eye opening. Glad to have you as part of our community!

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Hi Kor!

It is nice to find a group of people who share your ideas.  Glad to have you here.  

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
Welcome Kor!

I can tell you joining this site was one of my better decisions, and I am sure you will find it to be as well!

Good first post by the way!

Jan

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Isn't it strange...

First, welcome, Kor.  I think you've found the right spot.  You'll know after you watch the Crash Course and read some of the comments by the various contributors here if that's true or not.

But isn't it strange that people who hold the view the infinite growth on a finite planet with finite resources is illogical can come to feel as if it is they who hold some strange, rare, minority view that has to be carefully revealed as if it were a dark secret?

Perhaps Rod Sterling has some Twilight Zone treatment that exposes what it's like to hold a perfectly rational view in a world that prides itself on its irrationality...

At any rate, what we try to do here is have civil discussions about big (if not difficult) topics while using facts whenever possible, opinions when necessary, and keeping our personal beliefs out of the conversation as much as we can.  And we're all human and sometimes we each 'have our moments,' but generally I know of no better place on the Internet to have an adult conversation about the various predicaments in which we humans happen to find ourselves.

Best,

Chris M.

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
You got the Welcome Wagon treatment Kor!

One more from me! Glad you found us.

At PP, the members must be the 1% of the 1%, the odd man (woman)out. At least here we can speak(write) out without being seen as nut cases. Outside this web sight I can't talk about this stuff. Not party material either.

NN

Kor Kiley's picture
Kor Kiley
Thank you!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to the crash course. 

Chris, I appreciate keeping personal beliefs out of the conversation.

Kor

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments