Taylormaid Discussion - Sat 21

FarmersWife
By FarmersWife on Sun, Dec 22, 2013 - 11:13am

I was really bummed that I had to miss our Sat morning group discussion, but decided I would not contribute the GIFT that KEEPS ON GIVING... a flu bug or some sort. Not a nice thing to pass around during the holiday season.

Was wondering if someone would but together a recap of the meeting so that those of us who couldn't make it, will have a general idea of what was covered.

Jim dropped off a binder which had two things in in. 1) requirements for a legal "label" & 2) a review of the Cottage Bill & how it can be implemented.  Not sure how to best pass around info to those who might be interested.  I don't want to inundate people with email links/postings, but do want to make the information available.  To implement anything, these are some of the 'technical aspects' that have to worked with.  

happy holidays to all,

Amy

15 Comments

suziegruber's picture
suziegruber
Sebastopol CERT Classes

Hi everyone,

One of the things we talked about yesterday was the idea of getting more training in order to be prepared for emergency response.  The Sebastopol CERT classes definitely look interesting in this regard.  The training includes the following:

• Disaster Preparedness – an introduction
  • Fire Safety
  • Light Search and Rescue
  • CERT Organization/Disaster Psychology
  • Disaster Medical Skills 1
  • Disaster Medical Skills 2
  • Law Enforcement/Communications
  • Review and Disaster Simulation

Unfortunately, they don't have any classes currently on the calendar for 2014 and I joined their mailing list.  I will let you know when they schedule a class.

Cheers,

Suzie

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Basic First Aid Tutorial

Yesterday, the group expressed interest in receiving instruction on basic first aid techniques, as well as advice on useful emergency medical gear to stock up on.

I mentioned I have a friend who's a local RN who would likely be willing to provide the tutorial. As luck would have it, I saw him last night at a holiday party and he confirmed he'll be happy to do it.

He's going to let me know a Saturday that works for him and I'll report back to see if that date will work well for the group.

greendoc's picture
greendoc
COPE Program/Biochar/Transition to Apprenticeship

This is another local disaster preparedness site:

Citizens Organized to Prepare for Emergencies (the emergency being most likely earthquake)

Here is a link:

http://srcity.org/departments/fire/firecorps/pages/cope.aspx

Although it is a city of SaRo project, I believe they support other communities as well if you want a representative to come give a talk/offer guidance. 

And the biochar program I mentioned:

http://sonomabiocharinitiative.org/tag/green-string-farm/

This comment in the 12/22 David Collum article struck a chord as well:

"Yesterday we had a seed exchange out our house.  Our local transition group has made a decision to move away from an educational role (movies, discussion groups, etc.) to a more apprenticeship approach, where each of us that have something to give reach out to a group that is interested, so that we start creating alternative structures, community connections, and a different way of doing business in real time." posted by treebeard.

It feels like as we start to doing more hands on learning we will need to move to a less public space.  I assume the Sebastopol grange could be used. And if folks ever want to come to Bennett Valley the grange Hall here is available.  Plus I love garden tours, seeing others and giving the nickel tour of mine.

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
HAM, address list, renting, nurse

Here's what I posted in the original thread:

There was some interest in HAM radio and other means of coordinating with each other in case of a grid-down situation, such as a major earthquake or other natural disaster.

I remember Jack Spirko interviewed an expert in HAM and radios and seem to recall it was a good interview. I think this is the one: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ham-and-scanners-tim-glance

Claire mentioned that she knows a HAM expert who would probably love to talk to the group.

Adam suggested we maintain a list of addresses and phone numbers, and have a protocol in place so if there is a disaster we can check on one another and provide help if needed. This may be easier for those who live directly in Sebastopol; if there are any other Santa Rosans following this group, maybe we can get in touch and do something similar. Though I don't know how much longer I will be in Santa Rosa; me and my wife are looking for a place to rent. If anyone knows of any leads - someone looking to rent out a small house with a small yard to a very polite, financially stable young couple and a 15 Lb miniature dachsund, please don't hesitate to forward them my way :) Caretaking of some animals on the property might even be a workable part of the equation.

One thing to add, about first aid training - I was thinking about going to Patriot Nurse's medical prep 101 class next time she comes to Sacramento in June. If anyone else is interested, maybe we could get a group together and car pool. 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Couple points

First, $285 for an 8-hour class is highway robbery. I've long questioned Patriot Nurse's qualifications for her presented information, and she's made some pretty foolish claims in the past, to include arguing that children should not be vaccinated, (this link contains a link to the video and a rebuttal, another can be seen here) and you can find a humorous retort to the anti-vac argument in general in this meme

She has also been ousted for inflating her claims to experience; she mentioned in an old video (sorry, I have no link, it's been conveniently removed) discussing her experiences in trauma. If you care to look into it, you'll find she had only minimal training in trauma, and worked (IIRC) in a birthing ward. 

It's up to you all as individuals how you spend your money, but I'd double and triple check references (professional testimonials, not layman) to verify that you're getting information that is sourced from reliable and scientifically rigorous material. The Patriot Nurse hasn't done a very good job at any of those things, and I wouldn't train with her - especially in something as important as rescue and preventative medicine. 

If you're serious about having this information, I'd strongly recommend picking up a copy of "where there is no doctor". I think you'll find it a much more effective resource and will cost you significantly less...

Second, if you decide to get a HAM, realize that it's got significant limitations unless you're very skilled in their operations. Don't expect to get much more than 5 miles of signal out of a handheld system, a 25 with a base station. Most of the capability of the HAM radio comes from specialized equipment (such as antenna, packet data via computers and strong power sources. If you're operating on an energy budget, it may not be possible to keep all those things operational long enough to get any real results. They further rely on repeaters in many cases, which may or may not be accessible during emergencies.
Don't let this dissuade you from stepping up to a HAM! They're great devices, and certainly have the potential to be of tremendous value in emergencies, but know they come with a lot of caveats. 

Cheers, and hopefully this is helpful information for you all.
Aaron

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
Thanks Aaron - good

Thanks Aaron - good info.

$285 is a lot. Maybe she has raised her prices because it seems a lot more expensive than the last time I looked into it. 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Sure thing

Hey Kevinoman,

No problem - glad to help. I was looking for alternative courses you might be able to take in lieu, but there does seem to be a shortage. There are quite a few members here a good deal more qualified than me on the topic, but I did get the chance to do some medical work in a collapsed nation. 

The most common problems you're going to encounter are issues with proper hydration, nutrition and hygiene. While there is some utility in getting a class addressing these things, most of them are issues we take for granted. Cleaning cuts, for example. "Where there is no Doctor" will help address all the concerns of dealing with primitive medicine that doesn't require someone with specialized knowledge. If you can find a copy and occasion to read it, I think you'll be money ahead in the long run. 

As for the HAM radio... from my limited experience, the best bet is the Yaesu VX7R. 
It's got some great features, it's rugged and waterproof to some depth I can't recall, and is able to operate on various bands. To its detriment, it's complicated and the battery packs are prone to failure if you overcharge them. They do, however, offer a AA battery adapter, which is pretty slick. Just don't leave batteries in it during storage... especially if you have a brush with the aforementioned water.

Cheers, and good luck,
Aaron

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
About Ham radio....

Just a few comments I thought I might make regarding Amateur Radio.  First, you don't "get a HAM", and a Ham is not a "device".  You become a Ham after passing an FCC test that allows you to operate on various Amateur Radio frequencies- depending on your class of license (Technician, General, or Extra).  Anyone can purchase amateur radio equipment, but you must be licensed to legally transmit on the frequencies.  If you are at all interested in Amateur Radio, I'd suggest checking out www.eham.net/newham/  or www.arrl.org .  Tons of info there.  I won't even start to discuss specific radios as there is just too much to say about that subject to make any recommendations without knowing specific needs and requirements.  If you're interested, search out a local club- Hams LOVE to talk about Amateur Radio.  As part of your preparedness, communication should be near the top.  "When all else fails, Amateur Radio prevails".  Emergency Communications is a large part of the Ham hobby.  Consider: with my radio(s), a battery (perhaps w/solar B/U), and a piece of wire (antenna), I can communicate with someone on the other side of the planet (if conditions are favorable and my skill is adequate).  No other infrastructure needed.  Believe me, if an event takes out phones and internet in your neighborhood for any length of time and you have a Amateur license and a rig (radio set and antenna), you'll be one popular dude(tte)!  I've had an interest in Amateur Radio since I was a kid.  I finally got my Amateur license a year and a half ago and have had a great time talking to folks from around the world and, locally, as part of EmComm projects.  Plus you get to buy some fun new toys that have a valuable purpose.....Aloha, Mele Kalikimaka, Haole Makahiki Hou, Steve, WH6DZP.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Radios

Steve,

Thanks for the corrections - we commonly refer to the radios as "HAMs" to differentiate between the FRS/GMRS/CB radios... it's probably bad form. Thanks for clarifying for me. 

Would you mind starting a thread on this topic? 
Communications has really been something that hasn't been touched on here to nearly the degree it should. Not many other 'discretionary' topics are more important, or taken for granted than communications. 

Merry Christmas,

Aaron (KE7FHF)

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Won't be there this morning

SEB group -

Won't be there this morning. Have family arriving from the east coast.

Happy New Year!

cheers,
A

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
Re: Ham radio...

Hey Aaron.  Well, I was thinking of taking you up on your suggestion to start a thread on Amateur Radio, and even wrote up an introduction on Emergency Communications.  But then I checked out the site kevino suggested earlier, and decided Tim Glance did a better job than I could have.  So I suggest anyone interested in EMCOM check out that podcast.  I'm available for any questions folks may have on the subject.  Aloha, Steve.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ham-and-scanners-tim-glance

LeanneBaker's picture
LeanneBaker
Saturday at Taylor Maid?

I will plan on being at Taylor Maid at 9 a.m. if anyone else wants to show up.  Happy New Year!

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
At a bone marrow drive

I'm out this week as I'll be volunteering at a bone marrow drive for a schoolmate of my daughter's, who sadly has leukemia and needs a marrow transplant.

If anyone is willing to be tested, the drive is being held up the street at O'Reilly. All that's taken is a simple cheek swab. If you match as a donor, they'll follow up with you later.

greendoc's picture
greendoc
Anyone interested in meeting

Anyone interested in meeting again?  I find it helps to keep me motivated to touch base with like minded folks occasionally.  Since getting together last December,  I started tossing all my kitchen compost to the chickens and started a barley fodder system for them as well.  Attended a local grange meeting and committed to starting a resilency group there.  Looking at water storage seriously and gearing up for seed starting.  I am busy this weekend, but think the first weekend of Feb is open if anyone else wants to meet.

Claire

LeanneBaker's picture
LeanneBaker
Every Saturday!

Claire and all,

We are meeting every week at TaylorMaid, Saturday at 9 a.m., for whoever wants to show up.  Hope to see you soon!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments