Gangster scarecrows in Detroit

thc0655
By thc0655 on Fri, Nov 29, 2013 - 5:17pm

Westcoastjan shared a great news article in the 11/29/13 daily digest which I couldn't resist commenting on and inviting you to think about for your own situations.

Gangster scarecrows keep robbers away from Detroit home

Categories: Community

A Detroit resident uses mannequins to scare would-be criminals away from his home. (Local 4 Detroit) 

Looking for a way to thwart would-be home invaders? One Detroit man has come up with a creative solution to deter criminals from robbing him in the form of CPR dummies dressed as gang members. 

"After being broken in to a few times, my homeowner's insurance wouldn't help me cover the cost of the damages," said the west-end resident to Local 4 Detroit, noting that his home is surrounded by vacant, burned out houses that attract criminals.

So, in an effort to protect his home from further break-ins, he's installed two realistic-looking dummies on his front porch.

"A car will come by and they pick my place because I keep it nice," said the man, who remains unnamed for security reasons. "They'll slow down, see the dummies and take off. They come back around and look again. Eventually if they figure out they are dummies they are also figuring out that now they're being watched. They keep moving. They don't stop."

The man, who claims his homeowner's insurance already costs about $4,000 a year, has taken additional measures to keep his home safe, including the installation of a security system, spotlights, window bars, and two guard dogs.

But the mannequins, which also have security cameras in their eyes and mouths, are what's winning him attention from local news outlets and praise from the police.

"I saw someone on the east side doing this and now I'm doing it," he said. "The police stop, look, knock and tell me what a good idea this is."

In the several weeks since he's put the fake security guards on his porch, the man says he has had no break-in attempts.

MY COMMENTS (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER):

1. THIS IS SAD.  DETROIT IS STILL IN THE USA, YET PERSONAL SAFETY AND HOME DEFENSE HAS COME TO THIS IN THAT CITY!  I'VE FREQUENTLY SAID THAT MANY VISITORS TO THIS SITE WILL BE SHOCKED HOW MUCH CRIME WILL RISE IN YOUR PREVIOUSLY "SAFE" COMMUNITIES IN THE NEXT 5-10 YEARS. I BET THIS HOMEOWNER IS SHOCKED HOW MUCH HIS CITY HAS DECLINED IN THE LAST 5 YEARS.  YOU MIGHT AS WELL START TAKING SOME ADDITIONAL PRECAUTIONS NOW AND STAY AHEAD OF THE WAVE.  (UNFORTUNATELY, MOST PEOPLE ADJUST THEIR PRECAUTIONS UPWARD ONLY AFTER THEY ARE VICTIMIZED, WHICH SEEMS BASSACKWARDS TO ME.) THE HOMEOWNER FEATURED IN THIS ARTICLE CERTAINLY SEEMS TO HAVE "UPPED HIS GAME" AFTER EACH INCIDENT IN WHICH HIS HOME WAS BREACHED.

2. HOW DOES $4,000/YEAR FOR HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE SOUND? EVEN IF YOU SUCCESSFULLY KEEP CRIMINALS FROM VIOLATING YOUR HOME, LOOK HOW MUCH CRIME IS COSTING YOU!  ON TOP OF THIS INSURANCE FEE, THE HOMEOWNER HAS ADDITIONAL COSTS HE HAS INCURRED TO PROTECT HIMSELF AND HIS HOME: TWO GUARD DOGS, A SECURITY SYSTEM, LIGHTING, BARS ON DOORS AND WINDOWS, AND THESE MANNEQUINS AND THE CAMERAS EMBEDDED IN THEM. THE SKY-HIGH INSURANCE IS NOT JUST BECAUSE OF CRIME: FIRE, ARSON AND FIRE DEPARTMENT MANPOWER CUTS PROBABLY MAKE UP AS MUCH OF THE FEE AS CRIME DOES, MAYBE MORE.  WHEN PLANNING TO DEFEND YOUR HOME FROM ATTACK, YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER FIRE AS A THREAT, ESPECIALLY SINCE THE FIRE DEPARTMENT'S RESPONSE MAY NOT BE QUICK ENOUGH TO SAVE YOU FROM MAJOR DAMAGE OR A TOTAL LOSS. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE IF YOU ARE PROTECTED BY A VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT.

3. WHEN CONSIDERING MEASURES YOU MIGHT TAKE FOR HOME DEFENSE, YOU HAVE TO THINK LIKE A CRIMINAL. YOU HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT CONTRIBUTES TO THESE THREE ISSUES: DETERRENCE, PHYSICAL DIFFICULTY IN COMPLETING THE CRIME, AND POST-CRIME APPREHENSION.  AS "FUN" AS THESE MANNEQUINS ARE TO CONSIDER OR EVEN USE, I WOULD SAY THEY HAVE ONLY A MILD DETERRENT EFFECT AND A MINOR CONTRIBUTION TO POST-CRIME APPREHENSION (CAMERAS IN THE MANNEQUINS). I DON'T THINK VERY MANY CRIMINALS WILL BE DETERRED BY THE MANNEQUINS BECAUSE THEY ARE FOOLED INTO THINKING REAL PEOPLE ARE WATCHING THE HOUSE.  AS THE HOMEOWNER SAID, THE DETERRENT EFFECT, FROM THE CRIMINAL'S PERSPECTIVE, IS ULTIMATELY FROM THE HOMEOWNER COMMUNICATING VERY CLEARLY THAT HE HAS TAKEN EXTENSIVE PRECAUTIONS TO PREVENT CRIME AND APPREHEND THOSE WHO TRY IT ANYWAY. A CRIMINAL WILL NOTICE SOME OF THE PRECAUTIONS AND CAN NEVER BE SURE HOW MANY THERE ARE HE HASN'T NOTICED AND WON'T DISCOVER UNTIL HE HAS BEGUN HIS ASSAULT ON THE HOME.

4. THINKING LIKE A CRIMINAL, YOU SHOULD ALSO CONSIDER WHAT REAL CRIMINALS ARE AFRAID OF, AND IN WHAT ORDER.  FIRST AND FOREMOST, CRIMINALS ARE AFRAID OF OTHER VIOLENT CRIMINALS.  THERE'S NOT MUCH OF A WAY FOR THE AVERAGE HOMEOWNER TO USE THAT IN THEIR DEFENSE THOUGH. SECONDLY, CRIMINALS ARE AFRAID OF BEING HURT OR KILLED BY THEIR VICTIMS, OR THE NEIGHBORS AND FRIENDS OF THEIR VICTIMS. THERE ARE SUBTLE AND OVERT WAYS TO PLAY ON THIS FEAR IN THE MINDS OF POTENTIAL BURGLARS WHEN THEY SURVEY YOU AND YOUR PROPERTY, BUT THAT'S A TOPIC FOR ANOTHER POST. THIRD (AND OF MUCH LESS IMPORTANCE TO CRIMINALS THAN THE FIRST TWO), CRIMINALS FEAR BEING APPREHENDED, HURT OR KILLED BY THE POLICE.  THESE MANNEQUINS CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THIRD FEAR BY COMMUNICATING THAT THE HOMEOWNER HAS TAKEN EXTENSIVE PRECAUTIONS THAT COULD LEAD TO THE CRIMINAL BEING CAUGHT, HURT OR KILLED BY THE POLICE DURING THE COMMISSION OF A CRIME AT THAT PROPERTY.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?  WHAT "UNIQUE" PRECAUTIONS HAVE YOU TAKEN OR CONSIDERED?

TOM

2 Comments

thc0655's picture
thc0655
It's not just in Detroit

People aren't just taking "creative" steps to protect their homes in Detroit. There's a boom among the rich to protect their homes from what's coming. And you thought they were just buying fine art, high end real estate, Porsche's, and diamonds!!  wink

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/why-are-so-many-wealthy-people-building-f...

Tom

thc0655's picture
thc0655
OTOH, start by locking doors and windows

A NYC celebrity gets burglarized while she slept by two men who seem to work full time in burglary, specializing in places with unlocked doors or windows. Did you think people in NYC always lock their windows and doors? Do you?

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/entertainment/entertainment-news/Keri-Rus...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments