Emergency Water Storage Reminder

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Sun, Nov 24, 2013 - 8:52pm

As the winter rain season (and the power outages that it occasionally causes) approaches, I've been touching up my emergency preps.

At this time every year, I refresh my first line of defense, which is a stack of 60 1-gallon water jugs from the Whole Foods in town. Total cost was slightly over $60 (roughly $1 per gallon).

These will be the first water stores we tap during an emergency. Each person in the family will get 1 jug per day if we're ever without running and/or potable water for a stretch. That's a little more than 2 week's supply.

We'll also have the option to use some of these for barter with neighbors should we so choose.

I replace these stores annually because after one year, chemicals from the plastic start leeching into the water, so it's good to use them by their 12-month anniversary and re-stock with fresh ones.

This year, I threw some of the older jugs into my new chest freezer. If the power goes out, they'll act as a refrigerant to keep things cooler longer - hopefully preventing our food from de-thawing before power is restored.

Again, these bottled stores are a front-line defense. Underlying them is our well (provided we have power - I haven't installed a Simple Pump yet as we don't own the property), as well as several 55-gallon food-grade drums filled with treated water. Our last line of defense is a Doulton filter with ceramic candles, which should purify most any source of water we can find in an emergency.

This $60 annual expense buys a surprisingly large amount of peace of mind. If you don't already have your front-line supplies secured, or are due for a re-stocking like I was, let this serve as a reminder to invest in a trip to the store before the winter arrives in earnest.

Login or Register to post comments