Interested in group food storage meetups?

kevinoman0221
By kevinoman0221 on Tue, Oct 29, 2013 - 5:25pm

Anyone here interested in meeting up to do some group food storage?

Two things come to mind for me:

• Long term storage along the lines of sealing rice, beans, etc, into mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.
  • Canning - Maybe even swapping where each person brings enough of something to can --say, 12 jars-- and all 12 people take a can of each item home. 

In either case I imagine people sharing equipment and knowledge, and maybe doing some community building in the process. 

I have a pretty good pressure canner I would happily donate to the cause. It would be great if someone in the group had a device for sealing mylar bags, as that was a point I struggled with when trying to do it on my own with an iron.

9 Comments

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
I'll help out

Kevin -

Thanks for taking the lead on this.

I'll be happy to help out with the event. I likely won't take much home with me, as my food storage supplies are pretty soundly stocked already.

Something worth considering: if your main objective is quality food stores at a low price, and safely packaged for 30-year shelf life, I haven't found a better solution than going to a Mormon cannery.

The prices are amazingly low for the quality & quantity of what you get.

You don't need to be affiliated with the Mormon Church in any way to purchase food from them.

I wrote about my experience with the dry pack cannery in Concord, CA here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/food-storage-dummies/55478

Interested folks may want to make an outing of it, and visit a cannery together. Looks like the nearest ones are in Concord and Sacramento. I'd personally also be interested in visiting a "wet pack" facility (not sure yet which one is nearest to SEB)

Now, if your priority instead is the community bonding and skill-development that a group self-packing day can create, then by all means do a local assembly. A really helpful "how to" post written by a PP.com member is here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/successful-food-storage-day-9-famile...

Looking forward to it!

LeanneBaker's picture
LeanneBaker
Let's Get Together

Thanks, Kevin and Adam.  I would love to plan some events / get-togethers, and if I am in town, I will try and participate in as many as possible.  As for the specific suggestions mentioned by Kevin, here are my comments:

I have done a lot of canning the past several years, as I don't like to waste anything we grow (almost to the point of obsession!).  My upcoming projects have to do with a glut of pomegranates, olive picking in a few weeks (brining some, most going to make olive oil at the community press day at McEvoy Ranch), and our Meyer lemons are starting to ripen.  I'll probably make and can some Meyer lemon jelly but other than that won't be looking to can until next spring and summer. 

If Kevin wants to set up something with the pressure canner (soups / meats?), I would be willing to learn about that as we haven't done any of that yet.  I have a freezer full of lamb and would be willing to donate to the cause to learn how it works and what the results taste like.  I have been trying to do more with the GAPS diet, which uses a lot of bone broth, so pressure canning could work for that as well, I think.

I would join a trip to a Mormon cannery (dry) to see how that works.

Final thought:  I was thinking that it might be nice to set up a weekly coffee, no pressure, join whenever you want.  Just to get the discussion going, perhaps meet from 8-10 a.m. Saturdays at Taylor Maid at the Barlow.  Come if you can, meet other members, share successes & failures, ask for / receive advice, discuss issues relating to PP, and just get to know each other.  If we keep it going, over time we should get to know many if not most of the local PP members. 

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
Cannery, meetups

Adam, thanks for the info, I will look into that some more. It is my understanding the Mormon cannery packs things in #10 cans, yes? The size and resiliency of using 5-gallon construction buckets with mylar bags seems like a better fit for me -- easier to move around, resistant to dents, won't corrode if exposed to water. Just my gut impression. 

But still, I would also like to visit a Mormon cannery, like Leanne, as part of a group trip. I have never gone before, so it would be nice to go with someone who has experience. 

I have the equipment, but no experience pressure canning or regular canning. I'd also love to do some canning with an experienced pro to learn. I'd also like to can some home made broth, as well as chili. 

I like the idea of weekly coffee meetups. If there is enough interest, we could consider doing a potluck every once in a while too. 

suziegruber's picture
suziegruber
Meetups

I love the idea of meetups too.  I am enjoying the new Taylor Maid spot very much.  Monthly feels a little more doable to me.

Yes to group canning efforts.  While I have done some regular canning, I also have a pressure canner I have never used and would love to learn more about.

FarmersWife's picture
FarmersWife
Food Preservation & meetups!

I'm definitely in! Especially if I can learn about olive processing.  Have done some water bath canning but not pressure cooker.  Need to learn! Especially canning meat.

We are moving back to the area... Sebastopol in just a couple of weeks, so would love to get involved. What is "Taylor Maid at the Barlow"? Weekend of the 16th would be the soonest I could connect.

For general info, the Sebastopol Grange hall has a great kitchen; lots of room for doing things, and a good setup for discussions, as well. I'm guessing when needed we could use that (unless rented out); just have to preplan it.

Amy

The Farmer's Wife

LeanneBaker's picture
LeanneBaker
Coffee Saturday?

Lots of good ideas!  In the interest of promoting face-to-face, I suggest coffee this Saturday at 8:00 a.m. at Taylor Maid, in the Barlow (new development, downtown Sebastopol).  If even one other person can go, I'll be there.  Am happy to consider other time(s) and venue, but at least this would be a start. 

suziegruber's picture
suziegruber
Re: Food Preservation

I think doing it at the Sebastopol Grange is a great idea.  They just updated their kitchen in preparation for the State Convention.  I just spoke with Jerry Allen, the current Grange president and Crash Course supporter, and he said that he thinks we could do something there possibly in conjunction with the Grange.  Weekends are tricky because they have so many weekend events, but if we approach them, we can join together and schedule it, probably in 2014.

FarmersWife's picture
FarmersWife
Excellent Suzie! Amy

Excellent Suzie!

Amy

svgreengoddess's picture
svgreengoddess
interested in all of the above

hi, i'm interested in any/all of what's been mentioned, if/when the timing works out for me.  i live in petaluma, so meeting for coffee on sat at 8am is probably out for me, unless i'm planning on being in sebastopol for something else. 

i'm definitely interested in learning more about food preservation, especially for eating more of a paleo type diet. 

susan

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments