What's for dinner?

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Thu, Oct 24, 2013 - 11:30am

Last night I made a delicious stew of local lamb, local kale, and local potatoes.

Two of my four kids loved it.  The other two...not so much.  (I do not understand this!)  I thought it was great.

What are you having for dinner tonight?  What are some meals you've had recently to highlight the local harvest?

4 Comments

Thrivalista's picture
Thrivalista
Kale and Potato stew is a staple here, too.

...made with garbanzo beans at our house. Adding apple cider vinegar after it finishes cooking, and a dollop of homemade pesto on top, convinces even veggie haters we know that its delicious.

Tonight - red lentil curry, with veggies from our garden. We're awash in peppers just now. Sometime this weekend: Green rice made with roasted tomatilloes, peppers, alliums and herbs from our garden. All but the rice is from our garden, and we're looking to source that locally. 

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
We had "turkey bone soup" for dinner tonight

Let's see...turkey, green beans, carrots, corn-off-the-cob -- all local -- with white beans and seasoned salt. We also had millet (not local).  It wasn't fabulous but my kids did not complain; three of them ate multiple bowls of it.  The "picky" had meatballs (local beef), carrot sticks, and millet. 

I love my crock pot.  I often make carcass broth and turn it into soup.  Bonus: It helps to warm the kitchen!

Last night we had "turkey rice" - brown rice, snipped chives, turkey meat, turkey fat, and a bit of tamari.  Simple, cheap, delicious, and relatively healthy.

Those are pretty standard and boring as far as our dinners go here.  I would love to be inspired.  Thrivalista, thanks for the ideas -- it's been awhile since I made red lentil curry.

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Last week's supper "Tagliatelle with wild mushrooms"

This is an Italian pasta recipe from a Montreal Restaurant. Everything is local except the Olive oil, Truffle oil and parmigiano cheeze. I guess you could substitute. I picked fresh honey mushrooms and blewits(mushroom) and added some  porcini mushrooms (king bolets) that I had picked previously (and dehydrated). During the summer I'll use pleurotes(oyster mushrooms) picked in the woods. When done, top off with a handful arugula. All done with plenty of garlic and olive oil. 

NN

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
"Tagliatelle with wild mushrooms" ?

Untrammeled hedonism! You are not supposed to enjoy your supper.

My basic fare is Pressure cooked beans, fish, eggs, sauerkraut. Sack cloth and ashes for me.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments