When it comes to growing things, the little we know...

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Sun, Sep 22, 2013 - 5:26pm

...is still more than the average person out there knows. I treat any lack of understanding displayed as a teachable moment, but sometimes things people say to me leave me scratching my head.

It was only mildly amusing that a neighbor complained about her big apples - you see, it was a dwarf tree so she expected small apples. But, much worse, a fellow I met had no idea that you could grow marigolds (and many other things) from seeds.

Think about that for a minute and truly appreciate the implied mental disconnect the guy must have from nature and from understanding our food supply.

So. Do you have any head-shaker incidents like these to share? Because we may all be learning, but our society is so disconnected from how to grow their own foodstuffs that you're light years ahead of some folks, and that means you can teach them.

2 Comments

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
ha!Not personally, but

ha!

Not personally, but anecdotally I hear about how there is a disturbingly large number of people who think food is somehow created in a grocery store.... they just make it somehow... 

And then there's people who can't handle having bones in their meat. So now KFC is pushing their new bone-free chicken junk.... why? Because people can't handle the concept that meat comes from animals and animals have bones? 

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Soil microbiology as a plants digestive system

I found this teaching by John Kempf very enlightening;

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments